+ Reply to Thread
Page 87 of 195 FirstFirst ... 37777879808182838485868788899091929394959697137187 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3432334;
    Well, at 1000+ votes per hour, I would say it's a texting competition. Dialers don't even get through half the time.
    Just out of curiosity, if you actually do manage to get through all the time, can't you come close? I didn't encounter a lot of busy signals last week, so I wasn't planning to get a texting plan for this week.....just vote by phone. But 2000 for the whole time sounds awesome.

Glad to hear Slash noted Adam's ability. It should be a good week.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3432760;
    Just out of curiosity, if you actually do manage to get through all the time, can't you come close? I didn't encounter a lot of busy signals last week, so I wasn't planning to get a texting plan for this week.....just vote by phone. But 2000 for the whole time sounds awesome.
    Due to the difference in underlying technology, phone voting can't come close.

Telephones have to establish an end-to-end connection (a circuit) from your house to AI before any information can be transmitted. There are limitations to how many lines AT&T can deliver to AI. But even when AI has tons of circuits available, you are still limited by how many circuits your local phone company can handle. And AI voting often swamps the local capacity.

Text messages do not require a complete connection from AI to you, because they are not delivered in real time. They go to the local phone company server, where they are queued for delivery - just like e-mail. And, unlike voice, they are tiny pieces of data. So text servers have no problem taking in millions of messages.

With text messages, the human element of composing the message is by far the most time consuming part. Voting becomes more efficient when you take advantage of your phone's ability to "Forward" or "Resend" a previous message over and over. That way you get out a vote every three or four seconds.

If you are going to vote by phone, the most efficient way is to use Dial ldol's software if you have a computer or laptop with a modem. That does all the work for you - just tell it who you want to be safe and it dials over and over. You can go in the kitchen and have some tea and cake while your computer votes.

However since it is dialing a phone, it still has the drawbacks mentioned above. Maybe someone who does DI could chime in with better figures - but I would guess the maximum amount of calls it could make over two hours would be about 700. But some of those will get busy signals, so no vote is cast. With DI you would end up casting between 300 and 600 actual votes. Still, you get to eat tea and cake and not go to work the next day with a cramp in your texting fingers!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3432948;
    Maybe someone who does DI could chime in with better figures - but I would guess the maximum amount of calls it could make over two hours would be about 700. But some of those will get busy signals, so no vote is cast. With DI you would end up casting between 300 and 600 actual votes. Still, you get to eat tea and cake and not go to work the next day with a cramp in your texting fingers!
    A little over 400 calls in two hours is more accurate, which lately amounts to about the same number of votes these days as I have encountered very few busy signals this season.
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

I just read a possible spoiler in the Theme Week thread that
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Adam
    might be paired with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Kris
    for the duet. Awesome! It would have been too obvious to pair up
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Adam with Allison
    . I think this pairing will be amazing! They're both such creative musicians, that the outcome just might be out of this world!

(I'm having fun with all the doodads here! You just have to highlight the blanks to see the spoilers. I don't know if this is a real spoiler or not, though.)

My sister showed me her Playbill from when she saw the play, Wicked.
    Adam was in the show - he played one of the palace guards / chorus.
    His picture in the Playbill magazine is great. His hair isn't spiked up - it's more casually combed with less product. At any rate, he looks totally hot. I think if he goes back to that look on AI, he will definitely win.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;3432342;
    That's excellent. I read that Slash was hesitant to do AI, but they promised to let him do it his way and he agreed. I'm glad he called out Adam in particular.

There are so many songs I'd love to hear Adam do this week. I'm sure whatever he picks, he'll rock the hell out of it.
    Ya know Way.. as much as I love watching AI.. i never wanted to go get tickets and see the tour.. this season.. I WILL be getting tickets JUST to see Adam live. I also hated to admit he gets me kinda giddy. I want to see if they ahve more freedom on tour to sing songs they want to sing.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

we saw the tour during season 2 only because i loved clay
    we haven't wanted to see another one since ... but we're considering this one.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Have never been inclined to go to the tour... definitely going to try to get tickets this time!
    Adam was simply awesome last night. I will go out on a limb and say that his performance last night was the most professional/authentic rocking song ever done on AI.
    The guy truly can sing anything.
    I think that he could actually sing Queen or Aerosmith and sound good - there aren't too many singers that are up to Freddie or Steven Tyler's level, but I believe Adam could do it.
    I hope he takes Randy's advice and makes a ROCK album. The duet with Allison was great too - they looked like they were having too much fun!

I thought Adam did BEST last night, by FAR. He definitely was singing his genre. He hits every note that he pursues, and hits it right on key.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;3437156;
    I thought Adam did BEST last night, by FAR. He definitely was singing his genre. He hits every note that he pursues, and hits it right on key.
    I have to agree and I haven't been his biggest fan. The duet with Allison was my favorite performance of the night.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

+ Reply to Thread