+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 195 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566676869109159 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Adam doesn't have to win to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3410973;
    We see that sentiment voiced year after year for contestant after contestant & it very seldom works out that way.

I agree, OS, and I think it might be better if he doesn't win. IMO, in the past years we haven't had a contestant like Adam.

FORT Fogey

You have to define your concept of "success". Lots of Idols...winners and also rans ...are making a living as entertainers. Is that success? I'd say.

If you are looking at Idol success as someone who fills stadiums...there are not many....or any.... besides Carrie.

On tubie I listened to his Best of the Arts demo tape which includes his audition and previous work. Granted some of the live performance sound quality was poor, but I found that I most appreciated his voice when he wasn't trying to be a rocker. During his rock songs (one of which he co-wrote) he went into his screechy range where he pushes too hard; but in the ballad type songs, his beauty rings through. He could sing Danny Boy and break your heart.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Personally, I think all those who have appeared on Idol thus far have achieved levels of success that match up with their singing, performance, and song writing/choice skills AND, looks, personalities, and business savvy combined. Some may have better voices, but they are lacking in looks or personality or they stink at selecting their songs.

It's hard to find it all in one package. For me, Kelly Clarkson has it all. Carrie Underwood too. Chris Daughtry also has it all, I think, but because of the type of music he sings, he has a smaller audience.

People talk about the curse of winning, but I don't buy it given that two winners have achieved amazing success. I don't think its winning or losing, I think its this "package" concept the explains why some are more successful than others.

If Adam truely has what it takes, he'll be successful - whether he wins or not. He just has to have it all.

FORT Fogey

Winning comes with lots of promotion, appearances, potential sponsorships, and financial backing; it comes with not being labeled "runner-up" forever; it comes with the elation of VICTORY, pure and simple.
    Counting the past 70 Top 10 contestants, who has actually been "better off" not winning? And even if one says "Clay" or "Daughtry", how does one know what else might have been their commercial fates?

Is Adam in this to get left-over perks? I think not.
    Adam FTW.
    Last edited by WinkyD; 04-12-2009 at 12:34 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3411047;
    Counting the past 70 Top 10 contestants, who has actually been "better off" not winning? And even if one says "Clay" or "Daughtry", how does one know what else might have been their commercial fates?.
    Wait. I'm confused! You ask people to speculate how things might have been different, then you dismiss their responses for not being based in fact? I think the logic circuits in my brain just fried!

Adam will be interesting to watch after Idol. He could settle into his own niche. Or he could be a game changer, someone who obliterates the "rules" and defines a new path in music.

Elvis did this. Here was this nice white boy that sounded black. Where could he go with that? He didn't fit in anywhere. But he caught on and now Danny, Matt, Kris, and Anoop are in his debt for blazing a path they could follow.

Another singer that did the same thing (at about the same time, but in another area of music) was Barbra Streisand. Here was this skinny, not so pretty girl with a pure voice who sang with overpowering emotion. She was initially turned down by record companies because she was too "special", and too ethnic. But when when she finally recorded her first album it went #1 all over the country and she earned her first Grammy. And scores of emotional girl singers followed.

Both Presley and Streisand knew exactly who they were and how they wanted to sing. I see some of that same conviction in Adam. I get the feeling that he would rather fail in AI than water himself down for mass consumption.

Like I say, he'll be interesting to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3410973;

I totally agree with you. Adam is not your average contestant that we have seen in the past. He is multi-dementional.

I think he's been just about the best contestant in AI history. Whether people love him or hate him, they can't stop talking about him. And, that is what makes a star. Some may enjoy some commercial success, but very few "stars" are ever born.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

+ Reply to Thread