+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 195 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657585960100150 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

OriginalSinner - I agree, if you're talking talent. Country music and Adam's style are two different "ballgames". Carrie's success (ever-rising career and fan base) is pretty hard to beat, though.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

FORT Fan

The reason Adam is light years from the others (which many will only agree with if they like his particular type of talent) is because he has had so much training and experience up until this point. Like any other profession, training and experience hones the talent. Others are starting from a different point. What Idol does is give the contestants an opportunity to show how they can grow their talent, albeit, in a very short period of time.

Contestants whose talent growth seems to cap out quickly, or whose performances are erratic, get passed up by others whose talent is showing growth. That's why the judges are always harping on image, likability, "it factor", and the ever popular, song choice. It's all about "show us that your talent can grow with the right help". Whether they are getting the right help is a different story. But obviously, the judges think they are.

Carrie is very different now than she was even when she won the show. That's the legions of consultants working their magic, and her ability to grow her talent with the help. So the judges harp on "you need to bring it", "the competition is getting stiffer", etc. They want to at least believe that whoever wins, when surrounded with the right resources, has a chance to make it. Think about how the Disney machine works. Idol is also trying to be a machine, and they hope to gear the show to reveal the contestants who are the right "material" - such that when they put it into the machine, it will come out the other end the way they want.

Back to Adam, and Allison, for that matter. I think both of them started out at a farther point than the others. Even Allison had some vocal training, etc. But, both are still showing talent growth. Adam has gone one step further by showing he will do it the way they want him to: he's toned things down considerably from ROF in terms of approach, image, etc. Allison has shown talent growth, but needs to show them she will do it the way they want her to (ie: hair, clothes, likeability - read: image). Kris showed signs of growth the week before this, then big oops this week. Danny showed growth, but appears to be capping out. Lil may have a "mad" voice, but she is shocking the judges by showing no ability to grow (and they are confusing the hell out of her, making matters worse). The others are good, but up until now, seem to be showing limited ability to grow.

From here out, the judges will be looking to see if Allison can continue to show talent growth, AND show she will be "moldable". They will be watching Adam to see if they are comfortable he will make make it through the machine and come out molded the way they think he needs to be in order to be "commercial". Just my rambling thoughts.......

Quote Originally Posted by Fooled Again;3407908;
    I won't even tell you how many times I've watched video of his performance last night on the tubey place. It's such a haunting redition. I read on another board that Jules was very impressed with Adam and was trying to get tickets to tonights show. What an awesome compliment for Adam, and so deserved.
    Can someone pm me the link for Adams performance this week. My DVR didn't record his performance . I'm assuming , because it went into over time. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3408007;
    Wow ! A standing ovation from Simon.

Ben McKenzie performed Mad World on Australian Idol 5 (2007) and it was also very good.
    yep, and boy is that saying alot about Adam. Simon dosen't stand for anyone. I'll be shocked if Adam dosen't win this.

Just downloaded the studio version of Mad world and I have to say I'm impressed! It's even better than the live version. Really good!

FORT Fogey

I hope he wins this. He will have a great career no matter what but this show needs a cutting edge winner for a change.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by murphytoo;3408670;
    The reason Adam is light years from the others (which many will only agree with if they like his particular type of talent) is because he has had so much training and experience up until this point. Like any other profession, training and experience hones the talent. Others are starting from a different point.
    So true. There is a huge advantage to contestants working at a professional level since they were kids. They have had years of voice coaching from pros AND they have been constantly on stage, TV etc where they have been expected to deliver quality work. This does several things:
    • Teaches them how to pace themselves
    • How to use lights, the band, staging for effect
    • What kind of material works for them
    • How to take a piece of material that DOESN'T work for them and adapt it
    • How to learn music, dance, take direction very quickly

People like Annop and Lil are farther behind the curve. They are trying to break into the "Pros" from the amateur ranks. Megan was back at the starting line with no way to catch up. Danny has had a lot of performing experience, but I think not as much training and not much exposure to performing a wide variety of music.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3407646;
    Ever since the season 6 finale when we saw Ryan say "And the winner of American Idol" and then our DVR stopped recording because it was past the 7 extra minutes we put on our recording, we've set up our AI recordings to keep going 15 minutes longer than they're supposed to. Haven't been disappointed since!

I know what you mean, Buckeye...That happened to me with last year's finale. We had set TiVo to record the finale because we were going to be out. When we came back to watch it, we got to the very end of the show, and Ryan said, "And the winner of American Idol...is...David", and THAT is when our DVR stopped! Hell, both finalists were named David, so getting even the first name didn't help!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;3408832;
    ...When we came back to watch it, we got to the very end of the show, and Ryan said, "And the winner of American Idol...is...David", and THAT is when our DVR stopped!
    Oh, that is CRUEL! Of course, as I recall, Ryan paused after he said "David..." for about 20 seconds - so I imagine there were DVR's flipping off all over America at that point.

FORT Fanatic

Honestly, I believe that one of the reasons (beyond the voice/performance) that Adam has been so successful, like David Cook, he walked in the door with a song catalog. I bet that Adam has at least 10 different options for every category of music that Idol has ever had. It's one home run after another - that's not luck it's talent and it's understanding a business, certainly understanding American Idol.

Hats off to him - I am truly a convert and I expect him to have great success.

+ Reply to Thread