+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 195 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Awe. Adam's such a nice, funny kid who is eccentric and has lived many years doing theater in West Hollywood. He didn't even come up with this arrangement. This arrangement has been used by about 40 different groups for performances. I heard it 10 yrs ago and loved it. You hear it in clubs around LA. It was nothing new to Adam, so it's kind of shocking that some react to it that way. I mean, Archie made Broadway night pop and nobody cared. I think people can't get past his flamboyance so he's treated and judged so differently. Hidden homophobia. They look for something else to slam him about. Adam's vocals were perfect on this. Brilliant. Adam has talked about how humbled and surprised he is that people like him and he made it this far. Adam is Adam. People who know him love him to death and he's worked so hard. He doesn't always get it right. But he's struggled a lot, and it is tough for people to accept him. I feel so sorry for him. (And so it's okay for Travis to make fun of his nails and say people there don't wear it, but not ok for Adam to say he's probably not going there. Duh. He's not stupid and he knows people like him are not welcome. Adam had so much class.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by caity;3388796;
    Adam had so much class.
    I agree with this. I'm a huge Adam fan for many reasons. One is that he is true to himself and unapologetic but not flippant about it.

The only performance I still remember is Adam's.

I honestly don't know of a bigger homophobe than me, but I still respect his talent, so what is the problem here? Why are so many people hating on someone who has such EXTRAordinary skill? He just sings flawlessley, and yet people are harping on him for being an artist or performer in the past, for wearing eyeliner, or for all sorts of absurd things that have nothing to do with his unparalleled talent. In a male-dominated season, NONE of the other guys even come close to having his vocal precision nor his range.

If people were honest with themselves, this guy Adam would be taking home the prize.

None of the other singers even come CLOSE to his skill!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3388790;
    That's how I saw his performance as well. I thought his negative comment about country music and Nashville was disrespectful as well. I don't know if everyone caught it because the mike wasn't on when he said it but as a country music fan I was insulted.
    I'm a fan of country music and I saw nothing insulting or derogatory about Adam's comments. He doesn't see himself doing country and none of us do either. That's just reality.

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3388790;
    I was flipping channels yesterday and came across a concert for a band I'd never heard of...Amsterdam, I think they were called...They were doing Ring of Fire and it was nothing like Johnny Cash's version but I really liked it. So it goes to show that you can take an iconic song like that and change it up without turning it into a freak show.
    I saw nothing "freak show" about his performance. His vocals were incredible - far more difficult and intricate than anybody else's - and if you didn't appreciate them stylistically, that's okay. He's still head and shoulders above anybody in this competition talent-wise. I think Johnny and June would have been impressed. I think they understood artistry in a way that many people don't.

Apparently, Adam's rendition of RoF is a popular within the LA club circuit and he was in his own genre and comfort zone by making that choice. Randy and Adam both grimaced at the thought of Adam joining the Grand Ole Opry. It is collesion of two extreme genres, which you have give Adam props for. Again, it was too extreme and a bit dark for me, but Johnny was a dark personality too. While June/Johhny may have appreciated Adam's unique style, they may not have liked his rendition. IMHO why change a good thing?

All that said, I am looking forward to what he does with Motown!

I think it would have been a lot more disrespectful if Adam had come out and parodied a "Country" affectation. He was required to sing a country song. He made it his own. How many times has that been lauded as a good thing on AI? So the sitar isn't everyone's cup of tea. Neither is Country.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fooled Again;3388761;
    I read on another board that Marvin Gaye is Adams favorite Mowtown singer. The possibilities are endless, but I vote for Let's Get It On. I think he could really do it justice, and if he does sing it, I promise to vote till my fingers are bloody stumps.
    The bloody stumps image just made me laugh...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3388884;
    I'm a fan of country music and I saw nothing insulting or derogatory about Adam's comments. He doesn't see himself doing country and none of us do either. That's just reality.

I saw nothing "freak show" about his performance. His vocals were incredible - far more difficult and intricate than anybody else's - and if you didn't appreciate them stylistically, that's okay. He's still head and shoulders above anybody in this competition talent-wise. I think Johnny and June would have been impressed. I think they understood artistry in a way that many people don't.
    I'm with you, Blues Songstres. I've always thought he was genuine and humble -- he's so honest about not being country, and there's nothing mean-spirited about his comments. He mostly pokes fun at himself, like - "can you imagine ME as country??!!" ahahahaha.....And the audience can laugh with him and say, "Nope, can't say that we would!" Too funny. It's like we're all in on the joke with him. I like Adam.

I'm intrigued by this guy, and can't wait to see what he pulls off for Motown!
    Last edited by LuvThisStuf!; 03-21-2009 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by caity;3388796;
    Awe. Adam's such a nice, funny kid who is eccentric and has lived many years doing theater in West Hollywood. He didn't even come up with this arrangement. This arrangement has been used by about 40 different groups for performances. I heard it 10 yrs ago and loved it. You hear it in clubs around LA. It was nothing new to Adam, so it's kind of shocking that some react to it that way. I mean, Archie made Broadway night pop and nobody cared. I think people can't get past his flamboyance so he's treated and judged so differently. Hidden homophobia. They look for something else to slam him about. Adam's vocals were perfect on this. Brilliant. Adam has talked about how humbled and surprised he is that people like him and he made it this far. Adam is Adam. People who know him love him to death and he's worked so hard. He doesn't always get it right. But he's struggled a lot, and it is tough for people to accept him. I feel so sorry for him. (And so it's okay for Travis to make fun of his nails and say people there don't wear it, but not ok for Adam to say he's probably not going there. Duh. He's not stupid and he knows people like him are not welcome. Adam had so much class.
    I personally had never heard any version other than Johnny Cash's version before. I don't care that he's gay. I'm a Claymaniac so that proves that doesn't matter to me. I agree that Adam is talented. In fact, I would go as far as saying he is the most talented in this competition. But I still don't like him and I don't believe he is an AI. He needs to be in theatre. That is his niche. BTW...I HATED Archie and still do. In fact, I stopped watching in the middle of the season because I was so annoyed that he kept getting by week to week when better singers were getting voted off.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by LuvThisStuf!;3388997;
    I'm with you, Blues Songstres. I've always thought he was genuine and humble -- he's so honest about not being country, and there's nothing mean-spirited about his comments. He mostly pokes fun at himself, like - "can you imagine ME as country??!!" ahahahaha.....And the audience can laugh with him and say, "Nope, can't say that we would!" Too funny. It's like we're all in on the joke with him. I like Adam.

I'm intrigued by this guy, and can't wait to see what he pulls off for Motown!
    It wasn't WHAT he said but the WAY he said it. I just felt he was disrespectful. I think he's very smug and I don't care for his attitude. Plus, I just don't like his style.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

+ Reply to Thread