+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 195 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666116 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City;3388152;
    But isn't the whole point of having a country/motown/broadway/whatever week to pick a song in the genre and perform it to the best of your ability while being true to that genre?
    If that's the way you want to to judge your idol contestants, that's fine. Clearly the producers don't force them into any style - the singers can arrange the music any way they want. Last year David Archuleta's Think of Me from Phantom of the Opera was far from the original style, as was Jason Castro's Over the Rainbow. I thought both were the more interesting for being unexpected. But, to each his own.

FORT Fogey

Well, I'll wade into the Ring of Fire debate - a bit late because I didn't see the show until today. I thought Adam's technical skill was, as usual, incredible on that song. I also thought it was a huge disappointment. Because that's all there was: style and craft. No heart; no feeling; no "reality". Adam needed something like Kris's heartfelt To Make You Feel My Love. Instead, he distanced himself from the audience, performing intricate art-rock kabuki.

I think he desperately needs to show some range: emotional range. He doesn't have to prove he can sing country, but he does have to show some vulnerability. Country week could have been ideal for that; but that opportunity is now lost.

One last comment regarding "screaming". There was no screaming in Ring of Fire. That was all very precisely executed vocal work. Some how he's got a label as a "screamer" so that's what people hear now whether it's there or not.

Whether you like him or not, Adam is a very talented performer and singer. He is just very polarizing. Personally I think he's the best thing on the show.

I have been rooting for Adam since the try-outs, but he lost me on his rendition of Ring of Fire and ruined a great Cash song. I realize he is a rocker and was taking artist liberty but it would have been more appealing to me if he followed the typical version but with his rocker flair. I thought he appeared almost demonic with his performance. Johnny probably turned over in his grave. Ofcourse this just my opinion and the judges loved it so what do I know?

I'm almost off the Adam train due to his R.o.F. rendition. I saw it as him making a mockery of the song and I didn't appreciate that. There is putting your own spin on it and making it yours and then there is making it into a big joke to show you are above it and too cool for the song.

I just want the guy to sing, just sing, for once and enough with the shenanigans. Before I have to put him into the can't wait till they are gone bus along with GOkey. Ha! I just realized that since I pretty much don't like any of the contestants this season, I'm just having fun watching the train wrecks and hoping for another total disaster of a winner that they can't market, can't do anything with, and gets dropped as soon as they can manage it. I fully expect Adam or Danny to win this season and then the fun begins.

FORT Fan

I'm on the Adam love train - even though I'm a middle-aged lady in the midwest. At this point he's the only reason I'm watching Idol. He entertains. I don't care if he wears manliner or nail polish or colors his hair. I don't care if he's in the closet or out of it. I do know that when he's singing and hits those impossibly high notes, I'm impressed with the vocal talent.

As for those who perceive him as being arrogant, I just don't see it. What I see is someone who respectfully listens to the judges' critique and doesn't talk back.

FORT Fan

I feel like a broken record, but gotta chime in ...

Johnny Cash did lots of song covers himself from U2, Nick Cave, Depeche Mode, Beck and even Nine Inch Nails. Was he making a mockery of their versions, being that those groups are so out of the country realm?

I'm on the artistic expression train. Not everyone's cup of tea, but it certainly doesn't mean Adam actively sought to mock the song or Johnny Cash. That being said, I agree with TopCatDC; while technically great, he didn't pour a whole lot of feeling or heart into it. It felt empty.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3388159;
    But he's on a popularity contest. He PUT HIMSELF in a popularity contest. No one held a gun to his head. It damn well BETTER be for everyone, or at least a large percentage of everyone, or else he should be trying this somewhere else.
    We don't know why he came to AI any more than we know why the judges...seeing and hearing him as he is...put him in the show.

Of course no one put a gun to his head; he did it for his own reasons and he is doing it HIS OWN WAY. He doesn't have to be white bread. All that can happen is that he leaves
    when that percentage of America stops voting for him.

The kid is absolutely unfazed by what is said to him. Simon's whipping was as brutal as anything I have ever seen...and it went on over two nights. He stood there and accepted it...without a word...unlike a number of other contestants who tried to explain or defend. Good for him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much;3388278;
    We don't know why he came to AI any more than we know why the judges...seeing and hearing him as he is...put him in the show.

Of course no one put a gun to his head; he did it for his own reasons and he is doing it HIS OWN WAY. He doesn't have to be white bread. All that can happen is that he leaves
    when that percentage of America stops voting for him.

The kid is absolutely unfazed by what is said to him. Simon's whipping was as brutal as anything I have ever seen...and it went on over two nights. He stood there and accepted it...without a word...unlike a number of other contestants who tried to explain or defend. Good for him.

The silence can mean one of two things. Either he could take it just fine, as you said, and let it roll right off his back, OR it bothered him a great deal, and silence was the way he dealt with it. the comments he made backstage about not caring, and it not being for everyone may be very honest. Or, those comments may be a defense mechanism so that he can cover up how much it really bothered. Just like we don't know why he chose to pursue the show, none of us has any way of knowing what was going on in his mind as he was being criticized, and if he really is unfazed by it.

FORT Fogey

I think someone quoted him as saying that if he was five years younger, the show would be harder to deal with...perhaps meaning the critical comments.

He has been in live entertainment and the theater for some time so I am pretty sure he is used to people judging him.

Perhaps I should have said that he is APPARENTLY unfazed the brutality of Simon critique...but I still am betting that he is not going back to his room and crying in his pillow

+ Reply to Thread