+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

So for the closing act, he should have done his Elvis look and crooned a ballad? What did people think he was going to do? I'm guessing he has a lot of industry people puffing up his ego right now and he over-shot a little in the performance vs. singing department. Excuse me, I'm going to go listen to his Brigadoon performance now.
    Count your blessings!

To the Point

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3756176;
    So for the closing act, he should have done his Elvis look and crooned a ballad? What did people think he was going to do? I'm guessing he has a lot of industry people puffing up his ego right now and he over-shot a little in the performance vs. singing department. Excuse me, I'm going to go listen to his Brigadoon performance now.
    No, I don't think anybody expected that, however, a little restraint would have been a good thing.

I was rather shocked watching it. I even think some industry people were a little stunned. It definitely pushed the envelope and was a bit jarring. Even if tons of women have done this in tons of live rock performances, most people don't expect it on live television and by a guy no less. I immediately thought that he hurt his career by that -- straight guys tend to not mind seeing girls kissing and straight women tend to not care for seeing same sex kissing of any kind. I myself deleted the tivo'd recording so that my 10 and 12 year old children didn't watch it, as they are big fans.

That said, after thinking about it, I admire that he wanted to push the envelope and he is being true to who he is. See album cover. Which itself turned me off a bit as too much ham -- why couldn't that just been a single cover. I think the US was ready for a gay icon with a great voice, but wasn't sure about one that was too fey and outlandishly queenie. The sales look good though, so good for him. At the end of the day, he couldn't be a rock star (those stations were unlikely to play his music tho they played Bowie and others) -- and at heart, he is plainly a pop star in the nature of Lady Gaga, Madonna and Katy (I kissed a girl) Perry. They've got a big audience -- the dance crowd, teens and Gen Y appreciate their material -- but they are not universally liked.

This was his first performance alongside the heavies in the industry and I think he did fine, particularly in comparison to them. The audio was off all night, except maybe save Kelly Clarkson and Alicia Keyes. I didn't think he blew it out of the water vocally, but it's not that kind of a song anyway. Maybe he'll learn to adapt to the weird audio issues.

I am still a fan and I'd think he'd appeal more to mainstream if he chose more of his emo-type pop music as a release and showed off his glorious vocals. I think the message is that is only a part of who he is and he wanted his Lady Gaga flag to fly first. One writer felt it was more calculated than honest. I don't think so. I'm hoping the next release appeals more to me personally. I don't mind Lady Gaga but I don't listen to that music over and over again. I didn't like Fergie's solo release (that bridge song was stupid and glamorous was eh, too) but then really liked Big girls don't cry. I don't want him to forget that he has a bunch of other (ie, older) fans of the non-dance music genre. And also the tweens who I don't think need to see that stuff (like mine) but who can appreciate his music.

I bought the album on I-tunes and then found out that Amazon has it for 3.99 this week (and Rihanna's). I usually check but got a slight discount on I-tunes for having already bought Mad World from before so figured that would be the best price. Annoying.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Regarding that GMA cancellation. I think as much as anything else, Adam done messed with Disney & their family oriented business. I don't think he would have done anything at all similar to what occured the other night, but Disny beign Disney isn't going to risk the ire of it's core customer base...families.

As noted everywhere I've read, Adam wasn't the only sexually "out there" performer on the AMA. As I noted earlier I began watching at the top of the 2nd hour and Lady GaGa's performance while interesting for its pyrotechnics, highlighted her near naked body with open crotch stances. If it hadn't been TV, she probably wouldn't have been wearing the cover strap. I missed the Janet Jackson simulations, thank goodness...but now I remember why I don't watch music award shows. More than a few of The "acts" were performed with shock as a goal while the music was lost in the special effects.

These performance art presentations are terrific for specific and targeted audiences - those who know what they are getting with the purchase of a ticket, but they create a general public backlash that may be hard to overcome.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3756312;
    CBS' The Early Show snatched Adam up right after that cancellation. He'll be performing on Wednesday morning and talking about all the hooha over his performance on the AMA's. I may have to start watching The Early Show again! I never watched GMA anyway, but I may send a "shame on you!" email their way.

I highly doubt that Adam was going to give the same kind of performance on GMA that he gave the other night. Morning TV and a night time awards show are completely different venues. He's not stupid.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3756364;
    CBS' The Early Show snatched Adam up right after that cancellation. He'll be performing on Wednesday morning and talking about all the hooha over his performance on the AMA's. I may have to start watching The Early Show again! I never watched GMA anyway, but I may send a "shame on you!" email their way.

I highly doubt that Adam was going to give the same kind of performance on GMA that he gave the other night. Morning TV and a night time awards show are completely different venues. He's not stupid.
    The Early Show just found a new viewer in me too!

GMA just screwed up big time. They're being completely twitterbombed and this is massively bad publicity for them, much more than the AMAs ever were. Adam's name in different forms has been trending steadily since even before his performance but now the trend is #ShameOnYouABC. Which is 100% appropriate:

"Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

He may just be a genius. Look how he played AI. I don't mean "played" in a negative sense at all. He knew what it was, what it could do for him, was helpful and supportive of the other contestants, changed it up every week, wanted to stay in as long as possible without necessarily winning. Got to perform with some incredible names, wear some cool costumes, direct some outstanding performances (walking down those stairs! sitting alone in that spotlight! Yikes!). Now he's breaking away from AI like nobody's ever broken away from that show. I would prefer a slightly scaled back, more melodic sound from him, but I do believe I'll get it eventually.
    Count your blessings!

AMA cancellation is just going to give Adam more publicity (if that is possible) AND turn it more positive in tone toward him. Good.

His sales look fantastic on I-tunes and Amazon, so maybe he'll have the last laugh in sales. The guy is so articulate in defending himself on this issue, too. Rolling Stone has a bunch of male and female singers in outrageous performances (like Mick Jagger riding what looks like a giant penis and never forget Madonna humping the floor, kissing Britney and masturbating on stage).

Still not going to let my kids watch it but they can listen to his music and watch other performances anytime they want. Kinda hope that the performance on the Early Show is more in line with what was reportedly taped for the Letterman show (different song with understated but fantastic vocal performance). Keeps em guessing, and gives some of us other fans what we want, too.

+ Reply to Thread