+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3460006;
    Frankly Kris lost it when he opened his mouth and started to sing. You don't go second when the person in front of you has the vocals to make your performance seem like a second rate lounge act. Adam is going to win this I can feel it.
    You keep referring to Kris as a "lounge act." What do you mean? When I think of a lounge act, I think of some guy wearing a white leisure suit with chains hanging from his neck, white shoes and singing Volare--- All of which is the opposite of Kris. If anything, Adam fits that description (in a good way, ie. Adam sometimes deliberately parodies the lounge genre and I love it when he does it.)
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3459989;
    Adam lost the contest when he screeched his way through the last part of a "A Change is Gonna Come" last night. If Adam had sung the song more seriously, less showbizily, he would have had a chance of beating Kris.-
    I guess screeching is in the ear of the beholder. If you judge on the "Adam Scale" that was actually a restrained performance. He was belting, sure. But he didn't mangle the melody the way did last week on One. He was coloring "inside the lines" this time. I also felt an emotional connection to the lyrics which he held on to through the song.

I readily admit that he oversang, and I hope to God he doesn't do that on a recording. But for me, it was an acceptable amount of showboating considering this is a contest for the next big singing star.

And this is coming from a Kris fan.

Quote Originally Posted by TopCatDC;3460065;
    I guess screeching is in the ear of the beholder. If you judge on the "Adam Scale" that was actually a restrained performance. He was belting, sure. But he didn't mangle the melody the way did last week on One. He was coloring "inside the lines" this time. I also felt an emotional connection to the lyrics which he held on to through the song.

I readily admit that he oversang, and I hope to God he doesn't do that on a recording. But for me, it was an acceptable amount of showboating considering this is a contest for the next big singing star.

And this is coming from a Kris fan.
    Okay, I can understand that. I did like the first part of the song.
    Last edited by pillbeam; 05-20-2009 at 03:58 PM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;3460055;
    You keep referring to Kris as a "lounge act." What do you mean? When I think of a lounge act, I think of some guy wearing a white leisure suit with chains hanging from his neck, white shoes and singing Volare--- All of which is the opposite of Kris. If anything, Adam fits that description (in a good way, ie. Adam sometimes deliberately parodies the lounge genre and I love it when he does it.)
    I mean lounge act the free ones in the Vegas hotels. The guy in the Lobby lounge people have to listen to if they want to sit drink and flirt with all the hot women & men in the bar area. Kris is an Okay singer,but he isn't going to give anyone goose bumps unless he pours ice on them before hand.

I work hard for my money and when I do actually plunk down my money for a concert I want a show complete with all the showmanship, vocals and stage presence packaged together. Kris doesn't have that type of talent.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsDiva2007;3460083;
    I mean lounge act the free ones in the Vegas hotels. The guy in the Lobby lounge people have to listen to if they want to sit drink and flirt with all the hot women & men in the bar area. Kris is an Okay singer,but he isn't going to give anyone goose bumps unless he pours ice on them before hand.

I work hard for my money and when I do actually plunk down my money for a concert I want a show complete with all the showmanship, vocals and stage presence packaged together. Kris doesn't have that type of talent.
    As has been said over and over.. it’s all in the eye of the beholder.

Each and every one of the kids on this show has talent, some more than others.. and I like some more than others. The 2 I liked most, Adam and Kris, were still standing at the end. I couldn’t be happier!

Kris is far from a lounge singer.. Club singer maybe, given the right club.. but he does have a stage presence that can't be matched and that is because it, like Adam's, is different than anyone else’s. You can't compare the 2 of them to one another because they are so different. Kris is not vanilla, he’s smooth and he is relevant. Adam has a larger than life presence and personality, and works it. Kris doesn't. He’s a very talented man with both his vocal abilities as well as his musical abilities. I like to watch him on stage with and with out a guitar or piano.

You can see how shy he is in all the interviews and even on his home visit… its hard to put that aside on stage. I kind of find it endearing (I know most others do not, but that’s fine). Lounge singers in my finding.. and sadly.. yes I have been in many a lounge.. have an extreme lack of talent and an over inflated ego about the talent they think they have. I understand and respect that it is your opinion and that is fine.. but I think the term ‘lounge singer’ is so far off the mark for him.

Yes I do get goose bumps listening to Kris, no ice needed. He has come a long way this season and has grown and in a short time I think he can surpass all expectations. I don’t say that lightly, because until this season there has only been one Idol that I liked this much and spoke out as much about and he’s sold 5 million records.. one was to me. BOTH Adam and Kris will be in my collection when they put a CD out as well.
    Last edited by FireWoman; 05-20-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

I hope Adam outsell Kris.

Adam has no reason whatsoever to doubt that he will be hugely successful. Congrats to him on a great season & heres to a great career.

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3461995;
    Adam has no reason whatsoever to doubt that he will be hugely successful. Congrats to him on a great season & heres to a great career.
    I second that! My guess is that there are a number of industry bigwigs who can't wait to get their hands on Adam.
    I loved his performance with Kiss last night, and it seemed like he was enjoying performing with Queen also. This show has definitely introduced Adam to some major league players in the industry. I'm sure he has been having the time of his life!
    Congrats Adam! You made Season 8 fun to watch. You definitely picked the right career. I look forward to seeing what you do next!

Quote Originally Posted by jmb;3461998;
    Congrats Adam! You made Season 8 fun to watch. You definitely picked the right career. I look forward to seeing what you do next!
    I second that emotion!

Adam, I love you -- you're an incredible talent, and made AI 8 the best season EVER!

In my opinion, Adam never failed to entertain, and there has never, ever been a voice of his caliber on American Idol.

Congratulations, Adam you are a STAR! A huge talent, loved your performances!
    Can't wait to buy your albums!

+ Reply to Thread