+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by waspylookin;3456799;
    I think Adam will win.

If I'm right, Kris voters will not have the same rabid fingermashing mentality tonight, and Adam will win.
    On the other hand, Kris's underdog status could prompt a lot more phone dialing action.
    --
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by waspylookin;3456799;
    I think Adam will win.

I have been a Kris fan, and I would prefer Kris to win. But as a voter, I don't have the same impetus to vote for Kris tonight. All along I felt that if Kris, a talented musician and artist with very good taste, lost out to the King of Schmaltz, Danny Gokey, it would be a gross injustice. Not the same reasoning going into this one, as Adam, while he falls flat from time to time, has been worthy of an AI crown. If I'm right, Kris voters will not have the same rabid fingermashing mentality tonight, and Adam will win.
    I prefer Kris's style to Adams too. And I'm more likely to buy his records. But I don't have this huge motivation to vote for Kris unless he really does something like Heartless. And shows up Adam.

Mainly because I fear about the reaction and backlash against Kris if he beats Adam. Plus, Adam is more of an "idol" to even me.

But I think when it comes to both Adam and Kris, it's going to be the material they have which determines their long term success. The choices they make.

I mean people compare Adam to Freddy, both amazing voices, and over the top people. But the thing is that Freddy for all of this, he and Queen were amazing song writers and made songs that stand the test of time, and really stand different genres. For example, I remember talking to some young kids yestereday and last year too and asked them have you heard of Queen. "NO" they'd say. But then I'd say have you heard the song "We are the Champions." And they'll be like oh, I love that song...

For Adam a lot of choices he makes musically, I wonder how well it will play on the radio. It's just me. In contrast, I can see Kris playing on the radio, but well it depends on too what kind of music Kris choices and makes.

So in the end for both Adam and Kris, there future will be determined I think by the choices they make.
    Last edited by bekalc; 05-19-2009 at 01:55 PM.

FORT Fogey

Why is the Jewish gay guy who wears eyeliner and had one song called "rubbish" by Simon, who was allegedly in the Bottom 2, whose opponent has been termed an "artist" and "relevant", who has had a popular TV host imply that something isn't quite "moral" or "American" about him, NOT considered the "underdog"?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by WinkyD;3457578;
    Why is the Jewish gay guy who wears eyeliner and had one song called "rubbish" by Simon, who was allegedly in the Bottom 2, whose opponent has been termed an "artist" and "relevant", who has had a popular TV host imply that something isn't quite "moral" or "American" about him, NOT considered the "underdog"?

If you were, say, a time-traveller from the 1950's, I could understand how it might seem strange that the "Jewish gay guy" would ever be considered a front-runner. But in this century, on this show, in this culture, that is exactly what happened.

Here's how:
    • Adam was one of the favored fourteen who were highlighted during the Audition / Hollywood rounds. In the semi-finals he had the pimp spot for Group Two. Kris had about 20 seconds of air time before he stepped out to sing Man in the Mirror during semi-finals. Miraculously, (and to the great frustration of the producers, who had to invent a "Top 13" to accommodate their chosen few) he was voted into the finals.
    • Adam (and Danny) were lauded by Simon and Paula as the certain Season Eight finalists for the past month. They said it over and over to the press, and they repeated it in their judging comments. (To Adam:"I'm looking at the American Idol right here." To Kris: "That was good, but I just don't think you can possibly win this competition.")
    • The press has gone wild over Adam's run on Idol. There have been feature pieces in the New York Times and Los Angeles Times rhapsodizing about what a Lambert win means for the culture as a whole. Last week there was a cover piece in Entertainment Weekly. Let's count the mainstream features on Kris (outside of Arkansas) - uh, wait - there aren't any. Even this week, I have yet to see anyone write about what a Kris Allen win says about American culture. Lambert is now known outside the Idol community. If Kris wins you can bet it's going to be "Kris who??" around water coolers on Thursday.
    • Adam has been the Idol Presumptive since he did Tracks of My Tears. The contest has been assumed to be over for months. Why? Because his Final Two opponent was sure to be Danny Gokey, and Adam could easily best Gokey on vocal power and performance. As far as most media writers were concerned it was all over but the singing. As far as I know NO ONE was running around a month ago saying that Kris Allen had this competition all sewed up. Kris Allen was not on the radar a month ago.

In this season I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Kris is the front-runner and Adam is the underdog. That underdog story ain't going to hunt.

This is not to say anything against Adam - who I think is one of the most amazing performers ever to appear on Idol. But that is precisely the reason he zoomed to the top of the competition and stayed there since the semi-finals. Adam did not in any way need the pimping he got from the producers and judges. He could have made it just fine on his own.

Simple ... because he's the best.

When it was the top 5, there was only one stand-out ... Adam. The remaining performances were excellent, and I could not say out of Matt, Danny, Kris and Allison, which one did better than the others. Adam, however, was a clear stand-out that night.

I miss Allison.

Adam has been the front-runner in my opinion, all along.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Adam is the most talented contestant of the season, and really deserves to win based on his talent. Not pimping! Talent alone.

FORT Fogey

I absolutely feel that Adam deserves to win, no contest. But win or not, I will be supporting his music. I can't wait to see him perform live.

BTW, note that Ryan brought up the guyliner during the intro last night. Natch.

Cause his abilities were in a class of it's own.
    In sports terms, he was the "Michael Jordan" of Idol's season 8.

It's all about the question, if a viewer likes his style or not.
    But talent wise, non of the other guys could hold a candle to what he was doing.

Kriss? Nice guy with a guitar.
    To find somebody like that, how hard can it be?
    And then, put him on TV for weeks and weeks,
    until some people believe he is special.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ZulaMay;3459218;
    BTW, note that Ryan brought up the guyliner during the intro last night. Natch.
    As if Ryan doesn't spend two hours a day in the makeup chair.

+ Reply to Thread