+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 195 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adam Lambert - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Adam Lambert - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3383169;
    Very odd to read comments about theater bad/singing good, when they are ONE AND THE SAME. It is all performance art. They are exactly the same thing. You sing or you talk, but whenever you are on stage, it is a role. Thinking somebody is "genuine" or "true to themself" or whatever when they are on the Idol stage is the most absurd belief ever. It's a stage, for pete's sake! It's ALWAYS an act, ALL THE TIME, 24-7, EVERY ARTIST WHOSE ALBUMS YOU BUY.
    "The secret of acting is sincerity. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    -- George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;3383029;
    I don't think Adam will attract those old fashioned viewers who don't like their music too exciting. You know what I mean. I guess they would go more for Danny.
    I have to chuckle . I'm firmly entrenched in middle age, but I find Adam terribly old-fashioned. So far, he's been a not-too-convincing Broadway interpretation of 20th-century Goth/Glam.

It's true, most good performing is a "lie" or a "fake." Great performers don't have to reflect their own personalities. But the magic of great actors and singers is that they make you forget about the fakiness. For me, Adam reminds me of the fakiness over and over again.

I don't know whether Danny Gokey is really the warm, soulful dude he portrays onstage and I don't care. As an artist, Danny puts me in touch with my own warm soulful feelings, and that's what's important to me.
    ---
    Last edited by pillbeam; 03-15-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

I would love for Adam to perform in drag like in Rocky Horror. Just to see the reaction of his critics. lol

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherLady;3383036;
    I am middle-aged, but I don't consider myself old-fashioned, and I do like exciting performances. Bring 'em on!

But I like to get the feeling that the performance is REAL. Adam has a fantastic voice with a huge range, but I can't help feeling like he is a costumed actor playing a rock singer...
    I'm pretty cynical about this kind of thing. I believe that there are only a handful of people who dress in extreme ways "naturally". Most people do it to get attention or fit in with a certain social group.

Since I don't know him personally, I can't make a judgement about Adam, but I tend to think he's authentic. If he were disingenuous, he would have taken on a more mainstream look for AI. Instead, he's been true to himself all along - whether people like him for it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by fireflyer;3383169;
    Adam has done a great job so far. I hope he goes a long ways, if only to shut all the theater-haters up.
    P.S. I have no theater background, no theater boyfriends, no theater friends. But I like being entertained.
    I also have no money, no good clothes, and no good furniture, and no hope of fitting into last year's jeans.

I guess that's why I was so crabby yesterday. Sorry everyone!

I am just sick of people obsessing over him. (Even though I obsess over Matt) I mean Adam cannot sing. All he does is scream and his hair is horrible. He is meant for the stage...if that even. There are other talented people that deserve to go further than him but propbably won't.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

So, as I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm really excited because I knew and performed with Adam back in high school. I'm not going to monopolize the Adam discussion or anything- because it's been almost a decade, I've changed a lot since then, and I'm pretty sure he has too. But in case you're interested in my take...

From what I know and remember of Adam, I would absolutely describe him as authentic. For all that he was in high school- love him or hate him- he was the type of person who would not hide his thoughts, his talents, or his confidence. Very tell-it-like-it-is, but not out looking for a fight- just straightforward and no-nonsense. He's definitely changed his look since high school, but when I heard him in the interview I heard that same sincerity that he had back then. He's a likable guy, grounded, and a LOT of fun. Adam has an incredible voice. This guy can SING. And he knows it, and he's doing as much with his talents as he can by going for AI, after doing some professional musical theatre productions.

I don't immediately know how his voice would work in the commercial pop market. His strengths are his power, soul, range, and versatility- which work wonderfully in musical theatre but not many successful male pop stars have his style. I think his turn to glam rock style probably matches his voice better than if he were to come in looking all preppy-boy-next-door like Kris (although he'd probably garner more votes that way). It's not that I think he's trying to fit a mold of the glam rock star- I think he's found a scene he enjoys and a group of people who are basically his "tribe"- and that's how he feels most himself now.

Personally, I cannot wait for him to take on a tender ballad- he can do it- he's just as powerful and effective in soft, tender songs as he is with rockin' power numbers. Once he shows that side, I think he'll win over a lot of the people who are on the fence about him right now.

Okay- I've got to get back to work now. Adam, if you're reading, I know it's been a while but MCHS 2000 is rooting for you. And don't worry, I've got your back around FORT.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;3384159;
    So, as I've mentioned in a couple other threads, I'm really excited because I knew and performed with Adam back in high school. I'm not going to monopolize the Adam discussion or anything- because it's been almost a decade, I've changed a lot since then, and I'm pretty sure he has too. But in case you're interested in my take...

From what I know and remember of Adam, I would absolutely describe him as authentic. For all that he was in high school- love him or hate him- he was the type of person who would not hide his thoughts, his talents, or his confidence. Very tell-it-like-it-is, but not out looking for a fight- just straightforward and no-nonsense. He's definitely changed his look since high school, but when I heard him in the interview I heard that same sincerity that he had back then. He's a likable guy, grounded, and a LOT of fun. Adam has an incredible voice. This guy can SING. And he knows it, and he's doing as much with his talents as he can by going for AI, after doing some professional musical theatre productions.

I don't immediately know how his voice would work in the commercial pop market. His strengths are his power, soul, range, and versatility- which work wonderfully in musical theatre but not many successful male pop stars have his style. I think his turn to glam rock style probably matches his voice better than if he were to come in looking all preppy-boy-next-door like Kris (although he'd probably garner more votes that way). It's not that I think he's trying to fit a mold of the glam rock star- I think he's found a scene he enjoys and a group of people who are basically his "tribe"- and that's how he feels most himself now.

Personally, I cannot wait for him to take on a tender ballad- he can do it- he's just as powerful and effective in soft, tender songs as he is with rockin' power numbers. Once he shows that side, I think he'll win over a lot of the people who are on the fence about him right now.

Okay- I've got to get back to work now. Adam, if you're reading, I know it's been a while but MCHS 2000 is rooting for you. And don't worry, I've got your back around FORT.
    Thank you for sharing Aota Bass! I'm so glad I read this! I personally adore Adam and am thrilled to know he is a decent AND authentic guy!

I agree that he's a good performer. And, yes, he did go over the top with his performance, but that made it one of the few that was memorable. I remembered Megan's, as well, but I am trying very hard to forget it forever. I'd sooner see Adam stay in this than Megan. I think he's entertaining, at least.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

I am baffled by the "fake" comments.
    Is it because Adam has dyed hair in a style not to one's taste? Took Tom Jones 50 years to stop the dye-jobs! (Are people shocked, SHOCKED, at performers' altering what nature gave'em??)
    I think his sexual looks and moves are most decidedly Adam, not Adam-playing-sexy (except he's toned them down, heh).
    Would the Real Adam wear the clothes he wore on stage? I'd wager so.
    Would the RA wear make-up? Bwahahaha! Yes.
    Would the RA regard a song about SOCIAL EQUALITY as personally meaningful? Hello?!
    And "(ICGN)S"? Didn't sound like a fake sentiment to me!

AotaBass, thank you for your take! Adam FTW!

astrotronix, Adam cannot sing? Well, then, I guess those who care if he's a "ringer" can sleep easy!
    Last edited by WinkyD; 03-16-2009 at 07:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread