+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "American Idol" Adds Fourth Judge

"American Idol" Adds Fourth Judge

Move over, Paula, Randy and Simon. Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi is joining American Idol as a fourth judge when the eighth season premieres in January 2009. Said Fox reality honcho Mike Darnell in the release: “For the past seven seasons, Paula has had to endure the experience of being the only woman at the judges’ table. ... With Kara by her side, Paula finally has some back-up and now there is going to be a lot more ‘girl power’ on the show.”
    Link

Re: "American Idol" Adds Fourth Judge

Never heard of her. do they need a fourth judge, I don't think so. On second thought, maybe it will be good, she won't play favorites with over praising when it isn't deemed worthy!

More on the changes:

Paula Abdul has mixed feelings about Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi being added as a fourth judge on Fox's American Idol.

On Phoenix's 104.7 KISS FM Johnjay & Rich radio show Monday, she said she was excited but added, "I am concerned about the audience and acceptance. Time will tell. We'll see."

She said producers hired DioGuardi because they "wanted to try a change.

"They always tried for a fourth judge because it followed the format of the original show, Pop Idol," Abdul said. "We haven't had much luck with that working, but we're gonna give it another try."

Asked if she, Randy Jackson and Simon Cowell have sat down with DioGuardi to test their chemistry, Abdul replied, "Nope," and laughed.

What happens if she and Jackson vote one way, but DioGuardi feels differently?

"That's gonna be weird if it's a split decision," Abdul said. "I'm sure Simon will get to make the final [call]."

"It takes the fun out of all the hard work I do to push those kids through," she added.

DioGuardi will be involved in "everything" (including live shows), said Abdul, who is in New York City for Idol auditions. "We shoot tomorrow."

The show premieres in January.

DioGuardi's songs have appeared on more than 100 million records by the likes of Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Pink, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, the Jonas Brothers, Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey.

The songwriter's work has also been used by past Idol contestants, including Katharine McPhee, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Bo Bice, and Clay Aiken.

"She is a smart, sassy lady, and one of America's most successful songwriters. We know she will bring a new level of energy and excitement to the show," Fuller added.
    Link

NEW YORK - Scoot over, Simon Cowell. "American Idol" is adding a fourth critic to its panel of judges.

Grammy-nominated songwriter Kara DioGuardi will sit alongside Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson when the eighth season of "American Idol" premieres in January, the Fox network said Monday.

"For the past seven seasons, Paula has had to endure the experience of being the only woman at the judges' table," said Mike Darnell, president, alternative programming of Fox, in a statement.

"With Kara by her side, Paula has some backup and now there is going to be a lot more `girl power' on the show," Darnell said.

DioGuardio's songs have been recorded by Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and Pink, among others.

"We are turning the heat up on `Idol' this year and are thrilled to welcome Kara to the judges' table," said creator and executive producer Simon Fuller in a statement. "She is a smart, sassy lady, and one of America's most successful songwriters. We know she will bring a new level of energy and excitement to the show."

Executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz said a fourth judge isn't a new idea.

"We had originally intended for `American Idol' to have four judges," she said. "We've seen from our international series that having a fourth judge creates a dynamic that benefits both the contestants and the viewers."
    Link

Canadian Idol has 4 judges and it's one of the reasons why I don't watch the show.
    However, this girl might be a breath of fresh air, provided she doesn't try to fit in too much by playing it like the cool guys.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

They're trying to put a positive spin on this, but methinks they're working on pushing Paula out. Four judges will give them more headaches on the days they have time constraints. And if 4 was such a great number for judges, why wouldn't any of the similar shows in the US use 4 judges? Three seems to be a formula that works. But it is possible that nobody's thought to try it.

I still think Paula is on her way out, unless Kara isn't embraced by the public. And I think Paula is worried too, judging by her reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3176379;
    They're trying to put a positive spin on this, but methinks they're working on pushing Paula out. Four judges will give them more headaches on the days they have time constraints. And if 4 was such a great number for judges, why wouldn't any of the similar shows in the US use 4 judges? Three seems to be a formula that works. But it is possible that nobody's thought to try it.

I still think Paula is on her way out, unless Kara isn't embraced by the public. And I think Paula is worried too, judging by her reaction.
    I think so too. And while providing criticism to the contestants isn't exactly Paula's forte--more like the opposite-- she adds a certain something to the show (unintentional comic relief, perhaps?). I'd be kind of sad if she left... what would the AI show discussion threads be without speculating what's in the coke cup and commenting on Paula's dazed dance moves?!

That said, if this new girl is a songwriter, maybe she can do something about the cheesefest that is the winner's song...

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

My philosophy..if it ain't broke, don't fix it...not really happy about this one..time will tell, I guess.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3176422;
    My philosophy..if it ain't broke, don't fix it...not really happy about this one..time will tell, I guess.....
    That is usually my thought too, but Paula is "broke" but her contract probably won't allow any "fixing"

Take a look at the current system:

Randy: biased, with limited feedback. I guess unlimited if you count Dawg and Da'Bomb as constructive
    Paula: inchoherant mess, usually agrees with Randy, more complimentary of how one looks than their performance
    Simon: full of snark and snide comments and odd analogies, but usually dead on. Is the first to recant his original assessment upon watching playback. He is usually cut off, interupted by Randy and/or Paula or can't be heard over the booing

Adding a 4th will hopefully provide the honest and true comments we (I) hope to hear, but can't hear over the booing whenever Simon opens his mouth.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;3176911;
    That is usually my thought too, but Paula is "broke" but her contract probably won't allow any "fixing"

Take a look at the current system:

Randy: biased, with limited feedback. I guess unlimited if you count Dawg and Da'Bomb as constructive
    Paula: inchoherant mess, usually agrees with Randy, more complimentary of how one looks than their performance
    Simon: full of snark and snide comments and odd analogies, but usually dead on. Is the first to recant his original assessment upon watching playback. He is usually cut off, interupted by Randy and/or Paula or can't be heard over the booing

Adding a 4th will hopefully provide the honest and true comments we (I) hope to hear, but can't hear over the booing whenever Simon opens his mouth.
    My thoughts exactly. The show works fine with 3 judges, but personally I think 2 of those judges need to be sacked. Not sure how I'll like having a fourth judge, but hopefully she's better with her critiques and has more to say than Paula and Randy. As in being honest but not brutal.

I was at school when I first saw this, and my jaw totally dropped when I saw the words "4th Judges Being Added to AI". I don't know, I really was just... surprised. Because AI is one of the biggest shows on television, and adding a 4th judge is a drastic change.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast