+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "American Idol" Adds Fourth Judge

FORT Fan

Re: "American Idol" Adds Fourth Judge

I wish we had at least one judge from outside the randb/pop world. The collective judge knowledge of rock and especially country is quite meager.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3177035;
    My thoughts exactly. The show works fine with 3 judges, but personally I think 2 of those judges need to be sacked. Not sure how I'll like having a fourth judge, but hopefully she's better with her critiques and has more to say than Paula and Randy. As in being honest but not brutal.
    I liked the earlier seasons when they had guest judges at the city audition rounds. Gene Simmons and Mark McGrath were spot on with their assessments. I think it will work.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Paula had better be very careful with her loopy ways. Would hate to see her be ousted, I really like Paula despite her goofiness.

Meet the new 'American Idol' judge

NEW YORK (AP) -- Scooching in between Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson sounds intimidating, if not a little scary.

Kara DioGuardi says she's "gonna speak to Simon the way I speak to everybody."

But Kara DioGuardi, the newly-installed fourth judge on "American Idol," is confident she'll find her niche within the bickering, ratings-tested judges' panel where the line between love and hate is blurred with every critique.

"I'm just gonna speak to Simon the way I speak to everybody," DioGuardi told reporters during a teleconference Monday. "I'm just gonna have my opinion, be honest and I don't foresee any problems. I'm really excited about this, and up for the challenge."

The Grammy-nominated songwriter will make her debut when the eighth season of "Idol" premieres in January, the Fox network said Monday.

"It's really flattering too, you know, to think that ('Idol') even thought about me," she said. "I mean, when I got the call, I thought they were calling the wrong person. So I'm the new kid on the block, and I'm hoping everyone's gonna go easy on me -- and that I bring a lot to the table."

It's not yet clear how ties will be broken in the audition process -- in past seasons, two out of three judges had to agree to advance aspiring pop stars to the Hollywood round. And something will have to give during the telecast that barely has enough time to fit in three judges' opinions.

DioGuardi, now the youngest "Idol" judge at 37, said she leads a "low-key" life. In that case, she'd do well to prepare for the instant celebrity that comes with appearing on the most popular -- and lucrative -- reality show on television.

Which begs the question: Who is Kara DioGuardi?

"I'm maybe not a household name, but people know of me in the industry," said DioGuardi, who co-owns the Los-Angeles based company Arthouse Entertainment, which is now producing music by recent "Idol" runner-up David Archuleta.

DioGuardio's songs have been recorded by Kelly Clarkson, Christina Aguilera, Gwen Stefani, Celine Dion, Faith Hill, Carrie Underwood and Pink, among others. Her recent Top 40 hits include Stefani's "Rich Girl," Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man," Clarkson's "Walk Away" and Dion's "Taking Chances."

In 2000, the New York-born songwriter and longtime friend Abdul co-wrote the dance tune "Spinning Around" for Aussie pop star Kylie Minogue.

Her TV experience includes appearing a judge on the short-lived ABC reality series "The One: Making a Music Star" in 2006.

DioGuardi begins her "Idol" journey Tuesday during auditions in New York. It will be the judges' first time together in one room; DioGuardi said she only just met host/ringleader Ryan Seacrest on Monday morning.

"You'll have to see if there are fireworks tomorrow," she cooed in her smoky voice.

Which begs another question: Why mess with chemistry that's working?

"We are turning the heat up on 'Idol' this year and are thrilled to welcome Kara to the judges' table," said creator and executive producer Simon Fuller in a statement. "She is a smart, sassy lady, and one of America's most successful songwriters. We know she will bring a new level of energy and excitement to the show."

Executive producer Cecile Frot-Coutaz said a fourth judge isn't a new idea.

"We had originally intended for 'American Idol' to have four judges," she said. "We've seen from our international series that having a fourth judge creates a dynamic that benefits both the contestants and the viewers."

DioGuardi plans to be a straight shooter. She wants to help contestants succeed, but she will be harsh when need be.

"I'd say I'm honest," she said. "I'd say I believe in what I believe in, and I'm willing to fight for it. And I'm pretty feisty."

As an "Idol" viewer, she said she's disagreed with each judge at one point -- although admits that Cowell's criticism is generally "spot on." Some of her favorite past contestants were Clarkson and season-seven finalist Brooke White.

She hopes to find the The Next Big Thing.

"What makes an artist is somebody who's unique," she said. "That when their song comes on the radio, I know exactly who it is. ... It's not about vocal acrobatics."
    Link

I can't argue that she's not a good songwriter, but I don't really like the music she's associated with; not my type. She has a lot of experience working with people in the studio though, so it may be fun to watch how that translates on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;3177507;
    I wish we had at least one judge from outside the randb/pop world. The collective judge knowledge of rock and especially country is quite meager.
    That's a good idea and one that I wish that they would have considered when adding a fourth judge. After all, AI's biggest star to date is a country artist and their most recent winner is a rock singer.

A fourth judge isn't a bad thing. I do think it works very well for Canadian Idol, but that panel is very different from their AI counterparts. They spend much less time cultivating their own personas than Simon/Paula/Randy, for sure. The focus is always on the contestants on CI.

Well, like graycat says, Paula better watch her step. This new judge is younger and probably doesn't act like she has a substance abuse problem - the young AI audience might take to her in a big way and seeing as Paula doesn't add anything of value to the judging itself, she's going to be dead weight on the panel.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3177968;
    This new judge is younger and probably doesn't act like she has a substance abuse problem - the young AI audience might take to her in a big way and seeing as Paula doesn't add anything of value to the judging itself, she's going to be dead weight on the panel.
    Or she might be too dull for an audience which expects water-cooler worthy personalities from AI. From being like the one person in the universe who watched The One: Making a Music Star, I remember Kara and on that show her critiques were pretty flat and uninteresting. Of course, that whole show was flat and uninteresting, so she may do better in a circus like AI. But I also am just resistant to change and balking at the idea of a fourth judge at all, so this may be biasing me out of her favor.
    Last edited by MotherSister; 08-26-2008 at 05:40 PM.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;3176422;
    My philosophy..if it ain't broke, don't fix it...not really happy about this one..time will tell, I guess.....
    I completely agree. I don't see the point of bringing in a fourth person. I've never heard of this person either.
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Sounds like just another way to keep this show afloat. I lose interest more and more each season. TPTB just want to get that last drop of milk from the cash cow. I think this show has lost so much of its Luster and I'm growing rather tired of it. American Idol just isn't as special as it once was and most of the winners are getting lost in the cracks. I don't even bother to vote anymore.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12