+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 62 FirstFirst ... 125253545556575859606162

Thread: 5/20 Final Performances Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/20 Final Performances Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;3013222;
    Since I wear all black many days, it's a good thing I'm not expecting to be mournful or outraged by the outcome.
    I hear ya!!! I wear black everyday so tomorrow after DC has won I just might have to wear something with color!!

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Here's king of my take on David Archuleta (and why I think he'd be better off not winning):

(based on Bobby Vee's "Come Back When You Grow Up, Girl")

Come back when you grow up, boy,
    You're still performin' like the microphone's a toy.
    Singin' ain't easy, performin's twice as tough,
    So come back, baby, when you grow up.

You sing real good like a grown-up now.
    Your soul hasn't gotten the message somehow.
    Not sure if you can take it in an industry so rough.
    Come back, baby, when you grow up

We love you, kid, but your wide-eyed innocence
    Is really troublin' up my mind.
    Better you should get your very first heartbreak
    Somewhere else along the line.

Come back when you grow up, Dave,
    The world will still be out there for you to go and save.
    Some day be an artist, a real cut above.
    Come back, baby, when you grow up

Come back when you're a grown-up man.
    The big, bad music world will be at your command.
    You'll some day have your own style for people to love.
    Come back, baby, when you grow up.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Just Sayin;3014069;
    But, my problem with him last night and all season is the he is so boring and unoriginal. He takes no risks, and every one of his songs are the exact same.
    Not to jump on you in particular (a dozen people have said the exact same thing), but I don't get this. I understand someone doesn't like him, thinks he's boring. goofy, irritating, whatever.

But did Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me really sound to you like Love Me Tender? (Or insert name of previous DA song here.)

When I heard that last night it was like nothing he had ever done before. The growl in the voice; the soul; the passion. I was very surprised.

I understand people not liking it. I just can't figure how you look at those two songs and say it's the same thing. Does it really sound the same to you? (And maybe it does and I just need to hear that.) Or do you hear the difference, but there are qualities they share that you don't like?

Just trying to figure this out.

Originally Posted by Uncle David
    When my sister (who's sole occupation for over a quarter century was as a jazz singer) first saw David Cook sing, her first response was that, because of his vocal style, his voice would be lucky to last a year. I think this point has been completely ignored in these threads. I love, as did my sister, David Cook's vocal style. It has a wonderful gritty feel that gives texture and depth to certain genres. However, I think his voice would suffer greatly under the grueling schedule of an AI title winner.

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;3014499;
    You know, I recall a celebrity judge saying that about Chris Daughtry as well, and to my knowledge, he's been on tour and has lasted 2 years now.
    CD's voice more rough when singing, he screams more.

Vocal coach Roseanne Simonuvic, who writes the blog "AI Vocal Master Coach," has generally had very good things to say about David Cook's vocal technique (except that he sometimes throws his head back when he sings, which is a no-no). He has had a good deal of solid vocal training before going the rock direction. This was most evident when he did "Music Of The Night." I think his voice will hold up fine, especially if he continues working with a vocal coach now that he's hitting the big time.
    Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and Jordin Sparks all encountered some degree of 'vocal apparatus blowout' during their first year or so post-Idol, probably because of not working regularly with good vocal coaches - and heeding their advice (such as cutting back on the talking before a concert, and supporting the power notes diaphragmatically instead of screaming them or tightening the throat).

Quote Originally Posted by Ellender;3027341;
    Vocal coach Roseanne Simonuvic, who writes the blog "AI Vocal Master Coach," has generally had very good things to say about David Cook's vocal technique (except that he sometimes throws his head back when he sings, which is a no-no). He has had a good deal of solid vocal training before going the rock direction. This was most evident when he did "Music Of The Night." I think his voice will hold up fine, especially if he continues working with a vocal coach now that he's hitting the big time.
    Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and Jordin Sparks all encountered some degree of 'vocal apparatus blowout' during their first year or so post-Idol, probably because of not working regularly with good vocal coaches - and heeding their advice (such as cutting back on the talking before a concert, and supporting the power notes diaphragmatically instead of screaming them or tightening the throat).
    I have to believe that this Roseanne person would be absolutely perplexed with Carrie who has said repeatedly that she never warms up before taking the stage & just goes out & sings. Even Constantine mentioned it once before & he just could not understand how she did it.

Well, some people seem to have vocal cords "of steel," so to speak. I've been told that Janis Joplin's autopsy showed she had absolutely no nodes on her vocal folds despite being untrained (I think) and belting/screaming at the top of her lungs. Most singers aren't that invulnerable.

Celine Dion, by contrast, refrains from talking (eating, too, I think) for a full 4 hours before a concert.

+ Reply to Thread