+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History of Coin Toss Winner & AI Winner?

FORT Fan

Re: History of Coin Toss Winner & AI Winner?

In Season 2 they only had one phone line each and a 2 hour voting window. The phone lines were so jammed that AT&T estimated that of the 174 million attempted votes 160 million resulted in busy signals and only 24 million got through.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDone;3009409;
    In Season 2 they only had one phone line each and a 2 hour voting window. The phone lines were so jammed that AT&T estimated that of the 174 million attempted votes 160 million resulted in busy signals and only 24 million got through.
    That math is funky...

These guys could go out there and talk their lyrics. It doesn't matter now. Tonight's show is for entertainment only. Everyone who is going to vote has already decided who they are voting for, and for how long. There are no swing-votes left.

I think there are some undecided people left but not enough to swing the outcome.

There may be some undecided people ... but none who will likely bother to vote, and surely not powervote. If you aren't on one side of the fence or the other by now, you're not likely to pick up that phone based on what you see tonight.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;3010387;

There may be some undecided people ... but none who will likely bother to vote, and surely not powervote. If you aren't on one side of the fence or the other by now, you're not likely to pick up that phone based on what you see tonight.

That describes me perfectly.

I'll vote with my wallet when DC's CD comes out, and ignore Archie's, like I have Fantasia's and Taylor's. . .

FWIW. . .

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;3003686;
    I don't know about the coin toss, but here's the performance order. I'll only note down the winner for each season.

Kelly Clarkson - performed 2nd
    Ruben Studdard - performed 1st
    Fantasia Barrino - performed 2nd
    Carrie Underwood - performed 2nd
    Taylor Hicks - performed 2nd
    Jordin Sparks - performed 2nd

That said, I don't think it matters much. I'm not even convinced the performances will make any difference. This is going to be a straight-up shootout of the fanbases, both in dedication and numbers. It could go either way.
    I definitely think it's an advantage to go last, but unless the competition is close, I don't think it matters.
    Seasons 2 and 3 are anomalies in that in both seasons - more so in season 2 than in season 3 - a statistical tie resulted from inadequate phone lines and the voting window being too short. The discrepancy was about .05% in Season 2 and about 1% in Season 3 (well within the margin of error), with millions of votes not getting through because of busy signals. Idol fixed that problem starting with Season 4 by adding more lines and extending the voting window.

Season 2, Clay had led in the vote count every week until at least the last 2 or 3. Not sure after that, but the votes were very close (even before the finals people were getting non-stop busy signals). I do think Clay gained an advantage with the "undecideds" by closing the show with his Bride Over Troubled Water, but that advantage was kind of wiped out by the blocked phone lines. (Most casual viewers won't keep dialing if they encounter solid busy signals for 10 minutes or longer.) I think the inadequate phone lines masked the actual advantage of going last in this case.

Season 3, it could be argued, was pretty clearly Fantasia's to lose, so she proably would have won in any event. She had been the judges' favorite all along, and although she had pretty high negatives, I don't think any of the other contestants generated the strong positives that she did.

Season 3, the results weren't even close, per AI reports. Carrie would have won, no matter what. It's pretty obvious the same could be said for Season 1.
    I'm not sure it mattered in Season 5, but I don't think Katharine had as big or as enthusiastic a fan base as Taylor did and I don't think Taylor's negatives would have motivated people to dial like mad for Kat for 4 hours. My guess is Taylor would have won anyway.

Season 6 is harder to call. I don't know how close it was, but Blake had an obvious disadvantage with that awful "coronation song." I think Jordin going second was an advantage and Blake was magnanimous enough to offer her that spot after he won the coin toss.

Let it be on record that David Archuleta won the coint toss, and chose Cook to perform first. They said so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12