+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The AI Files: rumors, gossip and speculation

Originally posted by grantaire02
    i want to start right away and rip into Ruben and praise the wonders of Clay so that we can get blood splatters all over the ceiling...

Opinion Police-- get your riot gear ready!

mwaaaahaaahhaaahaaha!!!
    OK...here goes.

This is all in theory, of course. I'm trying to imagine myself as being the recipient of the eventual winner and trying to figure out what's workable and what isn't. Someone could have the sweetest voice in the world, but if it's Carrot Top, then we're in trouble. It'll be interesting to see what happens this time next year when the American Idol, ver. 2 is presented. From what I've seen with Version 1 after last night's Janet Jackson tribute show...I'm like, "Houston, we have a problem."

Ruben...how are they going to market that? There just aren't too many options to work with...he sings great for the style he does, but marketing an American Idol requires more than talent. We see that with Carmen being saved every week. America likes image, they like a visually appealing person. It can't be because of her 4-octave vocal range. Why does Britney Spears continue to thrive when I have never heard her sing a live note in all of the TV appearances I've seen her on? They can work (hide) deficiencies in the voice, but not in the way someone looks. Ruben, to me, may be a breath of fresh air from all the hard-bodied boy/girl crap we've been spoon-fed the last 5 years, but that's the image America has been conditioned to worship. Ruben "doesn't fit the suit." (Re: Greg Brady/Johnny Bravo archaic reference...but still)

Clay, on the other hand, is like raw clay (no pun intended) that can be worked with and shaped into something we have yet to see. There is something to work with there, image-wise. He has the chops, we hear it every week, but admit it, his image really needs help. But that's easier to work with and make a marketable product out of once you've molded the rawness into something people will buy into. That, image-speaking, is the difference between the 2.

Flame me if you want, I've got the flame-resistant riot gear on. (Hey...I'm just going with the flow on this thread!)
    "Don't dream it, be it."
    -Frank N. Furter

grant, I'm coming over your house next week for that game! Sounds like a good ol' time!

How about

drink once every time Clay mouths the words "thank you" to the judges or the audience
    drink once every time Kim C. sticks her face in the camera
    drink once every time Josh uses a twang in a song
    drink once every time Carmen uses her goat vibrato

Ok. That alone will definitely bring on the good times! Woohoo!
    Who shot who in the what now?

FORT Newbie
    You know what, AmazingWaldo, I think the exact opposite. I think the powers that be think Ruben is marketable because he's cool and hip and all that. (I'm sure there are more current positive adjectives being used by the younger people these days but I'm old and stuck in the 1980s.

Clay's the one that I don't think "fits the suit." I think whoever's job it is to ultimately be responsible for the success of the winner's album is thinking Clay will never play on MTV. I disagree but, again, I'm old.

I also think the next thing in music is coming. Remember what happened to the New Kids on The Block? They were all the rage for three or four years with the young teen crowd, but by the time the same kids were 17 and 18 they were waaaaaaay over the New Kids. I think the same thing's starting to happen with the Britney/Christina/Boy Band era.

I don't know what the next thing is but I think things are going to change soon.

I hope the American Idol ends up being someone who DOESN'T "fit" the Image everybody so wants to sell, sell out, and buy up...

I hope that the person who wins this thing confounds the higher powers in this Idol-making machine...

I'm sick of crap.

Why'd they ruin Kelly?
    That wasn't even a song-- where have all the Brian Wilsons and Buddy Hollys and... the music really did die.

Pop should be able to appeal to more people than prepubescent teens...

There's a lot more to popular music and a lot more history than the too-too familiar Britney Spears, Timberlake, boy band-type crowd.

I want songs with nice lyrics and a melody I can hum and that one day other people can do covers of: timeless ditties...

greenflute-- more drinking game suggestions...

try to drink the whole bottle in one gulp EVERY time Clay flutters his eyelids after he receives praise from a judge...

[aside: why are the damn Wings in double overtime against the mighty ducks...damn damn damn... how many bloody shots have we had so far...? a gabillion, that's how many... and then some duck is going to go to ice a puck and mis-fire into our net and then we'll lose despite overpowering that team the entire time...DAMN!]

take two sips every time Clay kisses one of the ladies on the cheeks
    take one sip every time Clay looks like he's gonna puke before he finds out he's (duh) safe.
    Chug every time Clay gives on of the guys a peck on the cheeks.

Drink the whole bottle every time a contestant grabs Ryan Seacrest's hand as they sit upon the "little booty stools" (have you noticed that? It's so cute! Even the guys take his hand!)

[Damn the Red Wings! Score already!]

Fade to black
    grant, dear, do you ever feel like you're talking to yourself?

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

All the time, hazy.

ALL the time.

Fade to black
    Just making sure. You amuse me. But you knew that.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

+ Reply to Thread