+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Diamond Week

Re: Neil Diamond Week

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2945957;
    Just like ALW was a great test in understanding the lyrics of a song, and telling a story thorugh that song, Neil Diamond will be a great test in "making a song your own". When you consider not just the songs he's sung himself, but also the ones that have been sung by others - I'm a Believer, Red Red Wine, etc - as well as the variety of artists who have sung his music - The Monkees, UB40, Tracy Chapman, Ace of Base - Neil Diamond writes the kinds of songs that can be easily morphed into many different genres of music.

So the performers with honest to goodness musical talent will have a lot of freedom to sing a song, put their own mark on it, and really make an impact. The performers who are singers, but lack the artistic skill, will perform a song the way Neil wrote and performed it, and that will be that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres
    Ever go to a karaoke show? Neil Diamond songs are VERY popular with younger people.
    Since AI insists on having the contestants always sing covers and the judges tend to put down their "song choice" if they do a song a lot of the audience won't recognize, it makes sense they'd focus on song catalogues that offer a better chance of choosing a "standard" or "classic" that will be familiar to the whole audience -- not just those who listen to contemporary R&B or Pop or Urban or country radio. First, it can be a no-win situation to cover a current or recent radio hit. You're not likely to top the original artist. If you did, that artist wouldn't be happy about it, so it's probably harder (and no doubt a lot more expensive) to get permission to use newer material. And if you changed up a recent hit like Lily Allen's "Smile," you'd probably fall flat on your face just because hers is still popular and yours didn't have time to grow on people before they voted.

Even young karaoke enthusiasts love to sing Patsy Cline's version of "Crazy" and Aretha's "Respect" and other classics from 3 to 5 decades ago. For one thing, the oldies that people still know are there because they were good, at least by some criteria. A lot of hits are forgotten within a few years, and that's as true in the 2000s as it was in any other era.

Seems to me that most of the time when Idol contestants have chosen to cover recent hits, they haven't impressed the judges or the voters all that much. That doesn't surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3;2946207;
    Hmmmm... here's what I'm thinking they should sing:

Jason: "Red, Red Wine" (reggae version) or "Stones"
    OOO just got me all excited. (disclaimer: not a fan of his) I think he could actually do a great job of Red, Red, Wine and this version. Thanks for getting the song stuck in my head *head meets desk while trying to get it out*

Maybe I'm confused. Despite the dreads, I don't get a Reggae vibe from Jason at all. I get a folk vibe. I'm not sure a version of RRW from him would be good at all. Actually, I see him singing a song with some heart and emotion much better. Maybe You Don't Bring me Flowers or He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother. Or something more like a ditty ... like You're So Sweet or Solitary Man.

If any of you are Diamond fans and don't have the album 12 Songs, I highly recommend it. It came out just a few years ago, is an acoustic Neil produced by Rick Ruben.

FORT Fan

What? No mention of David C. singing "Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon?" Why, that's a perfect song choice for him.

He can use the Urge Overkill version from the Pulp Fiction soundtracik.

I don't know any of his songs, how can I listen to some of them?
    To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world

Squaredpants... other than itunes, you could always check out Amazon to see if they have his latest album and short mp3 clips of the songs. I normally run there for just a quick listen.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I just went over to iTunes and realized that I recognized more Neil Diamond songs than I thought I did. I still hope someone picks up Sweet Caroline.

Tickety, I just saw that you're going to Duke- congratulations! My sister will be a senior there in the fall.

Carly's song for the week would have been Sweet Caroline.

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;2947439;
    Actually, I see him singing a song with some heart and emotion much better. Maybe You Don't Bring me Flowers or He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother.
    For the record, He Ain't Heavy is a Hollies song, not a Neil Diamond song.
    Last edited by Sandy in SD; 04-26-2008 at 06:03 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast