+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Diamond Week

Re: Neil Diamond Week

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2945951;
    How could you not like this guy?
    OMG!!! You know what? I'm embarrassed to admit this, but somewhere in my storage back in the States I have that Hot August Night album on vinyl! I remember parents questioning that cover, specifically the placement of Neil's right hand which was considered downright shocking! How times have changed!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

How mild that would be now! What a great album, and on vinyl. Do you still have a turntable?

Thanks for the college good-wishes everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2946302;
    Please tell me you've heard of the Beatles and realize the importance of their contributions and how it helped mold the music you listen to today. The music world goes way beyond what you hear on your local top 40 station young'un. It's a big musical world out there. Expand your horizons. You just might find something else to enjoy besides Nickelback.
    Of course I've heard of the Beatles. I've heard of the group, yes, but haven't listened to their music. That's not to say I haven't listened to anything from that time, though, I grew up with my Dad playing the BeeGees, Hall & Oates, Air Supply, and uhhh.. Deep Purple. I suppose it just so happens that AI chooses music I'm not familiar with. If they had done Hall & Oates, I would've been discussing song choices like nobody's business!

Anyway, my point is that I'm sure lots of other middle/high school kids like me haven't heard this kind of music, and for good reason. We aren't adverse to it. We haven't had the opportunity or time to!

For instance, I'd love to expand my "musical horizons", as you say, but the last 4 years of high school I've been driving myself absolutely nuts, consumed with studying, extra-curriculars, and keeping sane! I just haven't had the time to look into the Beatles, with preparing for the SATs, AP classes, yadda yadda. After AI ended last year, I didn't come onto FORT at all because of college applications and stuff like that. So please don't think I'm just a high schooler who refuses to acknowledge anything that isn't current as decent music. I need more time! Over the summer I'll look into the Beatles, promise!

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2946258;
    If AI ever has an Avril Lavigne week, I will be completely lost and will look for Tickety's posts to guide me through.
    Awww, thank you! You guys recognize the music you're familiar with, and I do mine. That's the beauty of FORT. I get to talk to all of you wonderful people I wouldn't get to meet in real life!
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2946397;
    How mild that would be now! What a great album, and on vinyl. Do you still have a turntable?
    I do still have a turntable, but it's on U.S. voltage and I've been overseas for 20 years. I wonder if it still works!? Returning to the U.S. next year and will have to outfit a "Retro Room" complete with turntable, all my old vinyl record albums, 45's, and an 8-track. Shag carpeting and blue light posters from Spencers (if that store still exists) would be a classy touch, don't you think? (All the young 'uns are looking totally perplexed at this point in my post... sorry!)

Okay, back to Neil - I actually think this might be a fun week to watch!

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by mom3;2946446;
    I do still have a turntable, but it's on U.S. voltage and I've been overseas for 20 years. I wonder if it still works!? Returning to the U.S. next year and will have to outfit a "Retro Room" complete with turntable, all my old vinyl record albums, 45's, and an 8-track. Shag carpeting and blue light posters from Spencers (if that store still exists) would be a classy touch, don't you think? (All the young 'uns are looking totally perplexed at this point in my post... sorry!)

Okay, back to Neil - I actually think this might be a fun week to watch!
    I'd love to see a picture of that. Ahhh, memories!

I'm one of those looking forward to Neil Diamond week. Great songs, and there is something for each of the remaining singers to excel on. Should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by mom3;2946446;
    Returning to the U.S. next year and will have to outfit a "Retro Room" complete with turntable, all my old vinyl record albums, 45's, and an 8-track. Shag carpeting and blue light posters from Spencers (if that store still exists) would be a classy touch, don't you think? (All the young 'uns are looking totally perplexed at this point in my post... sorry!)
    Dude, that would be too cool. Yes, Spencer's still exists.
    Spencer’s – THE online source for unique and funny gifts & gift ideas.

They DO???? Oh my... I don't know that I've seen a Spencers in over 15 years. They used to be where we'd go in college to buy relatively naughty, but cute, things for spirit week gifts.

mom3... oh my, I had forgotten about Red, Red Wine. Perfect song choice for Jason.. he could redeem himself with that one.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

A couple of years ago one of my coworkers brought in photos of her and her 18 year old daughter posing with Neil Diamond. They had gone to see ND as a requested birthday present for the daughter. Apparently they were ND fans who went to see him anytime he was within 200 miles of them. My first reaction was surprise that Neil was still around since I hadn't heard anything about him for many years, and the second was absolute shock that the teenage daughter was a groupie. The point here is that not all younguns are clueless about who Neil Diamond is, and I believe that many will be surprised that they are familiar with his songs because they've been covered by others through the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2946397;
    I just bought a new stereo suround home theater system & I insisted that they get me a turntable. To this day, vinyl still sounds better than CD'S.

Quote Originally Posted by wnts;2942486;
    Can we start a petition to bring back Chikezie for the results show to sing "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"? That could be awesome.
    I'll second that motion!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast