Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Neil Diamond Week

Re: Neil Diamond Week

How could you not like this guy?

Or this guy?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2945569;
    Nothing against Neil, but why couldn't they bring somebody more current? Between him and ALW that's two weeks of the type of music none of them will be caught dead singing after the show. Not even WonderBoy despite his cheesiness.
    Just like ALW was a great test in understanding the lyrics of a song, and telling a story thorugh that song, Neil Diamond will be a great test in "making a song your own". When you consider not just the songs he's sung himself, but also the ones that have been sung by others - I'm a Believer, Red Red Wine, etc - as well as the variety of artists who have sung his music - The Monkees, UB40, Tracy Chapman, Ace of Base - Neil Diamond writes the kinds of songs that can be easily morphed into many different genres of music.

So the performers with honest to goodness musical talent will have a lot of freedom to sing a song, put their own mark on it, and really make an impact. The performers who are singers, but lack the artistic skill, will perform a song the way Neil wrote and performed it, and that will be that.

I personally like it a lot better when they have a theme that really tests an aspect of musical artistry than I do the themes that do nothing but promote a current artist's latest release. I like that they're doing such weeks back to back.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Ever go to a karaoke show? Neil Diamond songs are VERY popular with younger people. Don't know why, but they seem to know his stuff.

Hmmmm... here's what I'm thinking they should sing:

Jason: "Red, Red Wine" (reggae version) or "Stones"
    Brooke: "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" or "Song Sung Blue"
    Syesha: "Thank the Lord for the Nighttime" or "If You Know What I Mean"
    David A: "Hello Again" or "Shilo"
    David C: "Sweet Caroline" or "Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show"

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2945972;
    Ever go to a karaoke show? Neil Diamond songs are VERY popular with younger people. Don't know why, but they seem to know his stuff.
    Never been to a karaoke show. Never heard of Neil Diamond. Friends haven't either. I'm going to be a college freshman (yay! ) in the fall. I doubt the viewers who are in middle school or high school know Neil Diamond, if my friends and I don't. (Unless by "younger people" you mean 20-30? I assumed you meant, you know, high school kids.)

They need to do an Avril Lavigne night. Then I could recommend songs for the contestants.

ALW week, Beatles week, Neil Diamond week... I'm just like... Who? Huh? What?
    2003-2008.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Actually I am talking more about the 20-somethings. You might be surprised, though, next week when you hear the songs and think "wow, I've heard that before!" I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yay for you starting college!

Quote Originally Posted by Tickety;2946233;
    I think you've just done what AI's staff has failed at: identified why the show is shedding female viewers in the desirable 18-34 demographic.

Most aspiring musicians have heard of them no doubt and may have even been influenced by them. Please tell me you've heard of the Beatles and realize the importance of their contributions and how it helped mold the music you listen to today. The music world goes way beyond what you hear on your local top 40 station young'un. It's a big musical world out there. Expand your horizons. You just might find something else to enjoy besides Nickelback.

BTW
    FORT Fanatic

Idol doesn't have only "young uns" watching, you know. And, I think there are plenty of you who have heard Neil Diamond songs, and didn't realize whose they were. Letting these Idol singers take a crack at all sorts of music, shows how versatile and talented they are. I love the variety.

Oh to be that young again...lucky you, Tickety (and congrats on college)! Now would someone please pass me my Geritol.

I agree with Unk ~ most (correction: all) aspiring musicians will have heard of the Beatles and most will have heard of Neil Diamond. While I recognize that this is not the type of music "young people" listen to today, it keeps us older folks entertained.

If AI ever has an Avril Lavigne week, I will be completely lost and will look for Tickety's posts to guide me through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast