+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mariah Carey?

Mariah Carey?

Are they going to have an episode where they will be singing Mariah Carey songs? I heard they will. My apologies also on this thread, if it there has already been a post on this. I'm sorry, it's just Mariah is my favorite singer. I love that woman.
    "Even though I didn't win, I still feel like I am on top of the world." -Dominique

Re: Mariah Carey?

In the spoilers thread they've discussed the fact/rumor that Mariah Carey is supposed to be one of the upcoming mentors this season.

I would certainly believe that it is during a Pop Theme Week... not a week of her songs. The judges lambaste anyone that attempts a MC song and there are very few people that can do them justice. They certainly couldn't expect a man to do it. (That might be fun... finding which song David Cook could make into a rock cover. Has it been done?)
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Leo
    Premium Member

We don't definitively know yet. All we know is that Mariah Carey will be mentoring the contestants one week. Mariah is releasing her album on April 15, so we can assume that's when she'll appear. As for the theme... we don't know for sure, but chances are there will be a Mariah Carey theme week.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2863676;
    In the spoilers thread they've discussed the fact/rumor that Mariah Carey is supposed to be one of the upcoming mentors this season.

I would certainly believe that it is during a Pop Theme Week... not a week of her songs. The judges lambaste anyone that attempts a MC song and there are very few people that can do them justice. They certainly couldn't expect a man to do it. (That might be fun... finding which song David Cook could make into a rock cover. Has it been done?)
    It's no longer a rumor: it was announced in the last results show, and Fox sent out the press release already. I have to disagree with you, though: I think it will be a Mariah theme week. When you have a current star as mentor, the theme week is generally their songs... unless they cop out, like they did with Gwen Stefani last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;2863676;

Oooo I am excited to see how all this will go.

I expect Syesha, Ramielle, and Carly to do extremely well.

Ramielle looks up to MC, so that must mean she can sing her songs.
    Carly has the voice.
    Syesha seems like the kind of girl to carry tunes like MC.

"Even though I didn't win, I still feel like I am on top of the world." -Dominique

Mariah Carey has an album scheduled for release on April 15, which makes me lean toward thinking that her mentoring week is likely to be close to that date and that it'll be a more general "pop" week, similar to when Gwen Stefani was promoting her album last year.

If the idols have to sing Mariah Carey songs, Simon will be in a snit for the entire night.

(That might be fun... finding which song David Cook could make into a rock cover. Has it been done?)
    As far as I can determine, there's another cover only of songs that Mariah herself was covering, not the ones she participated in writing, with the exception of "All I Want for Christmas Is You," which would be hard to pitchfork into AI. On the other hand, a lot of her singles are remixed by her own label/staff for variations on her sound.

The best candidates I can find for "existing rock-like remixes" are:

--"Without You," originally recorded by Badfinger and then by Harry Nilssen (but it'd still be relatively soft rock)

--"Bringin' on the Heartbreak," which was originally recorded by Def Leppard

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2863882;
    If the idols have to sing Mariah Carey songs, Simon will be in a snit for the entire night.
    Add me to the "snit list" too. I don't like Mariah Carey... a theme with all of her tunes will make me wanna jump off a bridge!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2863692;

It's no longer a rumor: it was announced in the last results show, and Fox sent out the press release already. I have to disagree with you, though: I think it will be a Mariah theme week. When you have a current star as mentor, the theme week is generally their songs... unless they cop out, like they did with Gwen Stefani last year.
    I think they will handle a Mariah week exactly like they did for Gwen last year, and have her give a list of artists who inspired her for the contestants to choose from. Like Broadway said, the judges slam most singers for trying to take on Mariah, because unless you're an absolute top vocalist, you can't help but compare the performance to the original and it'll never live up. So why would they set up every contestant for that failure? Especially in a season where they've made changes like a full band in Hollywood week and in the widdle it down to 12 weeks to make the performers seem stronger than those of past seasons.

Add me to the "snit list" too. I don't like Mariah Carey... a theme with all of her tunes will make me wanna jump off a bridge!
    Shall we shop for bridges? Thanks to having looked through Mariah's entire singles list for covers, I've had "Without You" stuck in my head for a full day, and I loathe it, and I loathe her sound, and I do not want to hear Syesha hurl herself at the high notes like an angry little missile.

Having forced myself to listen to Def Leppard -- David Cook could certainly handle their version of "Bringin' on the Heartbreak" without breaking a sweat or even getting up early, but Simon would call it "safe" because it would be. Guitar riffs -- check! Angst-ridden lyrics -- check! Softer verse punctuated by a sudden BIG note as we go into the chorus -- check! Predictable audience responses (fans like me get all hot and bothered; self-anointed rock purists mutter imprecations) -- check! I wouldn't be unhappy at hearing his take on the song, but it would be more exciting to be surprised by something else.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Rumor on the net is that on Idol Gives Back...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    she will be singing a duet with Marvin Gaye (al la Celine and Elvis last year)..they will be singing "What's going on?"
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread