+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The American Idol Contract

So let me get this straight...did Ruben actually say that stuff, or were the DJ's saying he said that stuff? It's not clear from the post.

FORT Fan
    Ruben has said on multiple occasions that he thought that AI was cheesy and he only went to the audition because a woman in his band wanted him to go with her. But, he hasn't had anything critical to say about AI based on his actual experience with them and he has talked about how wonderful Paula, Randy, and Simon are. (Well, really, who could blame him for that last part. )

Does anyone have a complete copy of the AI contract from this season. I'd be really curious to see what kinds of details are in those contracts. If the contract doesn't say how much he'll get paid or how long the commitment is for, I think it would be very difficult to enforce the contract. I'd be curious to know how much Clay and Ruben are being paid and what exactly their obligations are to 19 and RCA.

The complete contract for this season is secret. You probably will never see it.

Thanks for the info. Wow is that contract standard in the music industry? It's like they own you..(flashbacks of George Michael and Prince probems with Sony Music)....
    Last edited by glamgirl4clay; 05-29-2003 at 02:11 AM.

The contract isn't "standard", but I would expect anyone who plans to use something like this show to springboard from no career to internationally famous in a few short weeks to have to expect to sign away almost every single one of their rights.

Ruben has said he thought AI was "cheesy" a number of times.

This was his opinion before he auditioned.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Ruben has stated a number of times that he thought the show last season was "cheesy". He audtioned because he didn't want his friend and bandmate Sharida, who wanted to audition and begged him to go with her, sleeping outdoors by herself waiting in line. On Larry King, he said he thought it was "cheesy" and said, "and, look where I am now", to which Clay stated, "Yeah, the King of Cheese".

By caring for a friend's safety, he ended up in the last place he expected would get him help for his career. Clay did it as a favor to a student's mother. Caring guys who were rewarded for it!!! They have said last season's participants have given them some guidance, so I believe they have a clue on how tightly bound they will be by signing these contracts.
    Sing & dance the night away!

Daphne

Re: The American Idol Contract

Originally posted by hazyshadeof
    This is something that was posted in a newsgroup a while back, and had a feature article written on it by Salon magazine. I had started to mention this in the Clay Aiken thread, but I think it's worthy of it's own thread. It shows exactly how obligated the finalists are to 19 Entertainment - I'm going to post the more interesting parts of the contract.

I hereby grant to Producer the unconditional right throughout the universe in perpetuity to use, simulate or portray (and to authorize others to do so) or to refrain from using, simulating or portraying, my name, likeness (whether photographic or otherwise), voice, singing voice, personality, personal identification or personal experiences, my life story, biographical data, incidents, situations and events which heretofore occurred or hereafter occur, including without limitation the right to use, or to authorize others to use any of the foregoing in or in connection with the Series

I understand that, in and in connection with the Series, I may reveal and/or relate, and other parties ... may reveal and/or relate information about me of a personal, private, intimate, surprising, defamatory, disparaging, embarrassing or unfavorable nature, that may be factual and/or fictional.

Future Agreements: Notwithstanding the other provisions of this Section C, I understand and agree that in the event I am one of the final ten (10) contestants in the Competition, I will be required to enter into the following agreements: (a) an agreement with 19 Recordings Ltd. (or an affiliated company) for my exclusive services as a recording artist; (b) an agreement with 19 Merchandising Ltd. for the use of my name, likeness biography in connection with advertising, endorsement, merchandising and sponsorship; and (c) an agreement with 19 Management Ltd. for the management of my career as an artist. I understand and agree that, unless I am the individual selected as the winner of the Competition, such agreements shall become fully effective only at the election of 19 Recordings Ltd., 19 Merchandising Ltd. and/or 19 Management Ltd.

Now those are the interesting blurbs to me - the contract is analyzed in much better detail by Salon, and rather than state my conjecture I'll provide it for reference. The article can be found here, and while it details the 2002 American Idol contract, the contract for 2003 is virtually identical:

http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/200...act/index.html

And to the person who asked me if this is a lifetime contract - from what I can tell, yes, it is.

Lil Cutie here is a copy of the contract read what it says. I know that applies to the American Idol winner but as long as the other are under the contract then they are obligated to follow the rules.

It doesn't just apply to the winner, it applies to all 12 finalists.

Daphne
    Does this mean, that if they (19 Entertainment) want someone to star in a movie instead of going on tour that person has no option but to do so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast