+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The American Idol Contract

Fade to black
    That's at the discretion of 19 Entertainment.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fan
    Kelly and Justin are the only ones working for 19. And I guess Kristin Holt too? And everyone else in the top 10 last year has been let go.

And this year it seems like Vanesa and Charles are already on their own.

a few thoughts...
    throughout the universe in perpetuity??? are they crazy??that seems really hokey.
    here...reveal and/or relate information about me of a personal, private, intimate, surprising, defamatory, disparaging, embarrassing or unfavorable nature, that may be factual and/or fictional....are they talking about tabloids, or that 19 may manufacture stories? of that they may advertise something embarrasing from someones past? or ooohh, i get it, the people they showed on the 'worst of' show....
    wow. it just goes to show how very much these people want to succeed....of course most of them probably did not think they would get this far.

Fade to black
    Yea, JD I think they let the rest of them out of the contract (as bad as the contract sounds, I don't think 19 is necessarily being unreasonable with the finalists - they certainly could have held Tamyra out to dry but did not do so). I'm guessing that the contract has provisions stating that they have a certain amount of time to enforce the terms of it or they have to release the performer from the contract.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

FORT Fan
    I agree. As aggressive as the contract seems, I think it is fair. And 19 has been fair to all of them. They gave them alot of exposure and opportunities to shine. They "discovered" them. And no one has really gotten a raw deal.

Re: The American Idol Contract

Originally posted by hazyshadeof

...unconditional right throughout the universe...

...may reveal and/or relate information about me...that may be factual and/or fictional.

And to the person who asked me if this is a lifetime contract - from what I can tell, yes, it is.
    There are no lifetime contracts troughout the universe.

Fade to black
    Well, Kyle, that's not necessarily true. There ARE lifetime contracts, they usually aren't enforceable though.

There are standard contracts in the music business and the Idol contracts are about the same.
    They will make sure that 19 Entertainment is going to cash in on the popularity that the show has created.
    Make money with the contestants while they are hot.

They can tell ( Kelly for example ) ; if you don`t do what we say , we will drop you like a hot potato , and you cannot go to another company cause we have a contract for the next few years.
    That is all the pressure they need , cause an artist cannot afford to sit around till people forgot all about him.

But no contract throughout the universe , my god....

Some of those contracts are ruthless. I guess co-writing your own songs and getting some of the royalties on the CD is also at the discretion of 19 Entertainment. I just flashed back to Teena Marie's troubles with Motown several years ago.

I wonder how non-competes would hold up state to state, since some (states) forbid non-comete clauses? Interesting. Good post, hazy

FORT Fan
    Do they still get paid if they are stuck in a no compete situation?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast