+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Syesha Mercado - Season 7

Re: Syesha Mercado - Season 7

Oh no! Just when Brooke stops yabbering to the judges, Syesha starts!

This girl needs to be smarter. Honestly, taking on songs where you'll undoubtedly be compared to the (much better) Whitney and Fantasia? Not a smart move.

As Tyra would say, "If you're going to copy someone, you have to make it your own." She even copied Fantasia's runs throughout the song!
    2003-2008.

Last week she tried to be more subdued and almost made it but this time she really unleashed the "Screamy" from the beginning of the song. I'd rather listen to nails on a chalkboard than her version of that song again, I think my ears are still bleeding from the first time. Damn, I'd even listen to Fantasia's version rather than hers, even though I hate Fantasia's voice with passion.

Fantasia is a brilliant singer, and her version of "I Believe" is amazing.

If Syesha wanted to sing this song, she should have gone the opposite route and sung it softly and quietly--which could have been unique and would have avoided comparison's with Fantasia's performance.

I will never understand why singers attempt Whitney and Fantasia songs. I don't Syesha has a clue about what she wants to do as a singer. She has a great voice and range but no musical personality.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

She has a really nice voice.
    I liked the low part.

But then, i have to admit, it always gets loud.
    And it's not like the loud parts are out of tune, it's just loud.
    If she would just use the "power notes" to set highlights.
    Why don't the vocal coaches tell her, it's so obvious.

The judges were practically on their knees begging Syesha to develop a singing personality of her own, and her reaction suggested that she wasn't understanding a word of it. The critique she got was much more detailed and supportive (and less "yo! check it out! I worked with Journey, dawg!" or "you have all the scents of a fruit salad in your voice") than is usual. If she isn't learning from that kind of input, it's about time to send her home.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2905866;
    The judges were practically on their knees begging Syesha to develop a singing personality of her own, and her reaction suggested that she wasn't understanding a word of it. The critique she got was much more detailed and supportive (and less "yo! check it out! I worked with Journey, dawg!" or "you have all the scents of a fruit salad in your voice") than is usual. If she isn't learning from that kind of input, it's about time to send her home.

You're right. The judges keep giving her a big hint ("I liked the soft parts") and she has not picked up on it. In fact the judges, including Randy, have been giving more detailed advice this year. I wonder if that's because the singers, overall, are so much better and might benefit from some refinements?
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

i just wonder what kind of people are working with the idols in the background, surely they must understand what the judges mean if the contestants don't. they should be advising, helping to mold them, etc it just seems like they just barely help the contestants.
    It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler.
    thom yorke

She was amazing this week and definitely deserves to stay over Michael. She's better than Fantasia. That whistle note...WOW !
    Last edited by OriginalSinner; 04-11-2008 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;2910989;
    She was amazing this week and definitely deserves to stay over Michael. She's better than Fantasia. That whistle note...WOW !
    I must say I disagree on "Almost" all points. I thought she stunk once again, no way did she deserve to stay over Michael, & in my opinion it doesn't take a whole lot to be better than Fantasia (never have been a fan of Tasia), so that is light praise. She needs to exit stage left, right, or up the middle...just exit.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2910995;
    I must say I disagree on "Almost" all points. I thought she stunk once again, no way did she deserve to stay over Michael, & in my opinion it doesn't take a whole lot to be better than Fantasia (never have been a fan of Tasia), so that is light praise. She needs to exit stage left, right, or up the middle...just exit.
    I did like Fantasia as a performer (no so much a singer) but I prefered her version to Syesha a million times. I don't get the screachers being so popular. Who the heck is voting for her?

+ Reply to Thread