+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 134 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142434484 ... LastLast

Thread: David Cook - Season 7

Re: David Cook - Season 7

Just curious, this may have been mentioned earlier, but I don't want to go through the whole thread (OK, I'll say it, I'm lazy)...Can someone tell me if David does his own arrangements? I know when he did "Billie Jean" they cited "so-and-so's version" but I haven't heard that with any of the other songs. I love his voice, but I look forward to what he's going to do with each week's song just as much. The judges always give him such credit for being original, true to himself and taking risks with the arrangements, I just wonder if they're his. Not that I'm knocking him at all if they're not, only that he's even more amazing if they are Either way, he is so good and unique, I almost hope he doesn't win. I'd hate to see them try and fit him into the typical Idol pop mode. At this point, he's going to do great regardless!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2924021;
    Just curious, this may have been mentioned earlier, but I don't want to go through the whole thread (OK, I'll say it, I'm lazy)...Can someone tell me if David does his own arrangements?
    I believe the only arrangements that were truly David's own creation have been "Little Sparrow" on Dolly week and now "Always Be My Baby" on Mariah week.

Hello, Billie Jean, Daytripper and Elenor Rigby were versions of other arrangements.

Correct me if I am wrong FORT.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Not sure about the "Innocent" arrangement, since I don't know the original.

Quote Originally Posted by talldede;2924043;
    I believe the only arrangements that were truly David's own creation have been "Little Sparrow" on Dolly week and now "Always Be My Baby" on Mariah week.
    Yup. DC has said himself -- video package the week of "Little Sparrow," I think -- that in the early performances, he was using other people's arrangements and hadn't expected anyone would think otherwise. Most competitors do in those weeks because it's such a zoo and they're still establishing themselves with the viewers; much of Archuleta's deep and sincere soulfulness had a boost from Eva Cassidy arrangements that weren't credited.

It's not a mystery what DC can do on his own, though. Amazon has downloads from what he was doing a couple years ago. I'd expected it to be pleasantly disappointing, thus convincing me that running the video of "Hello" for the 35th time wasn't all that necessary, a decision that would have freed up considerable time that week.

That worked about as well as suggesting that your local addict detox by trying a more potent drug. DC turns out to have a distinct point of view that's expressed in both the lyrics and the musical structure, and it's definitely the same person we're seeing in the AI performances (though with two years' less experience and a different production set-up, so the vocals won't sound quite as polished as what comes out of AI's studios). He is a long way from being just a pretty voice with a smart AI approach. (Not that you were suggesting that, talldede -- but people have, and it had crossed my mind at the time.)

I don't want to over-praise "Analog Heart" because that invites a search for flaws, and I wouldn't claim that it's flawless nor that everyone will love it -- but it does leave me believing that his post-AI album will be what he wants to say, if only because he knows what he wants to say and how to say it.
    Last edited by calamari; 04-17-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: clarification

When I see a post by you calamari, I cannot click the link fast enough to read it.

I am a low tech person, and I'm days away from buying an Ipod so I can download Analog Heart (anyone want to help me with that!?! ) I've heard snippets online and I am equally impressed. David knows who he is musically, and I'm confident with a win on AI or 2nd place, we'll get the David sound we've grown to love.

*blushes*

First, you download iTunes to your computer. Just go to their site and follow the instructions -- they want it to be easy.

iPods are the simplest things on earth, especially if you only have a Shuffle (as I do). You just plug the base into your USB thing and follow the instructions that iTunes gives you. It happily syncs on its own, and all you need is one click to download your play list.

If you're downloading from Amazon, they make you download one more piece of software, but it plugs in seamlessly to iTunes and shouldn't give you any trouble.

What you really need to know is -- if you put "Let Go" on an iPod, when it gets to the very end, TAKE THE EAR BUDS OUT! There's one last long guitar note that will go straight through your brain like a dental drill if you don't take precautions. It was clearly not intended for iPods.

Also, don't try to operate heavy equipment or balance your checkbook during the first listen.

Thank you calamari, I'll give it a try.

And, thanks for the heads up on Let's Go. I guess you took one for the team on that one.

I like Analog Heart too. But I solved the Let Go issue by editing the end of the song off.
    I wasn't talking to you, Jenny. If I was talking to you, I would have said "Jenny."

I did it! I bought Analog Heart and it's now playing on my new iPod Nano.

One question - Does anyone know how much DC is getting per download? The album is the #1 downloaded album today beating out Mariah, which I think is cosmic justice in some sense.

I hope David is profiting tremendously, but does AI allow that?

i love his voice !! i really do !!
    Lauren FanARTic - "I reallllyyy miss Lauren "

"..distilled into one 95-pound, doe-eyed, bon mot tossing, label-whoring package of girlie evil"

+ Reply to Thread