+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111 ... LastLast

Thread: David Cook - Season 7

Re: David Cook - Season 7

I find I'm looking forward to David's performance tonight more than anyone else's. I'm one of the few, I guess, that's pleased about the continuation of the Lennon-McCartney theme.
    Naah, you're not alone in this. But boy, was I dismayed at how the evening went...

This was by far my least favorite David Cook performance -- way too much emphasis on performance technique and not enough on connecting to lyrics, though he was one of several who chose lyrics that don't mean much of anything in the first place and don't go anywhere (yes, Michael, Kristy Lee, and Carly, I mean you, you, and you). This one also didn't have enough tune to show off the range he has on that sexy voice. He could have done more with "Day in the Life" than Michael Johns did. Heck, he could have done "Michelle" in a way that would have had the entire front four rows making little squeaking noises of melted ecstasy, and that would have been a little surprise for people who had him boxed as "the rocker."

Also -- way too much clothing! I went back through all of the available video clips (don't feel you have to thank me -- I live only to serve), and IMHO, he's hotter when he seems to have just thrown on a shirt and jeans than when the stylist tries to Blake Lewis him up. He's not Blake. Blake did cool-hip-playful. David does passionate-angsty-hot. This calls for entirely different levels of hair gel.

On the one hand, it's David Cook, who knows how to make every performance into an event complete with fans fainting in the aisles. On the other hand, when he's cuter and sexier in the post-song banter than during the song, this is not a high point for the singing part.

Feel free to tell me at length why I'm wrong, as I'd have to rewatch the video many, many times in order to refute you properly.

IMO, David was unjustly criticized last night
    Simon called it too safe and predictable, and I had a feeling that was coming
    But considering he's taken huge risks in the past, that should have been alright
    Once you've experimented so much with other genres and taken so many risks, then I think it is okay to return to what you're best known for for one performance
    I mean, he can't go on singing ballads for the rest of American Idol because that's snot what he's known best for
    For every huge risk he takes, he should be able to do something truly of his own style
    And I think he has this professional quality about him
    When he chooses his songs and arrangements, he naturally knows what works and what doesn't
    It seems like all of the others are just pulling teeth and arranging songs in some wierd way and then just pray that they work
    David on the other hand has an idea of what will work and what won't
    I miss AJ!!
    "Immerse your soul in love"-Radiohead

I completely agree! I hope he doesn't take the critiques too seriously, and just continues like he's done so far. Because I think he has great sense of what's best for him.

I think it is okay to return to what you're best known for for one performance
    Thank you for putting it this way! You've put a finger on what was bugging me -- that I'm not convinced what we saw last night was the style he's known for, so much as embracing the "rocker" box that the show wants to put him in. "Analog Heart," the indie album he did most recently before AI, is in rocker mode, sure, but the lyrics are interestingly constructed ("the cracks in your smile make it impossible to decipher something legible" is my favorite example), the melodies demand range and skill, and the amount of unrequited/failed/hopeful love piled into one album scores pretty high on the angst scale. Judging from his own material (or the material he chooses when given a free hand -- anyone know which?), he's better than what "Day Tripper" offered to work with.

When he chooses his songs and arrangements, he naturally knows what works and what doesn't
    It seems like all of the others are just pulling teeth and arranging songs in some wierd way and then just pray that they work
    Yes yes yes yes yes. It's been striking from the beginning how DC can choose a non-standard arrangement and have it fall into line as if the original song writer meant it that way and just didn't know how to get there.

He also usually seems to know how to perform as if all the guitar-playing and necessary work with the mic and visits up to the audience are totally natural and just occurred to him because he's having a good time -- last night, more concentration seemed to be on managing the performance.

Don't get me wrong, it was one of the top performances of the night! The vocals just weren't in the same class as, say, "Searchlights," which appears in the dictionary next to "reason to miss your sister's wedding for a weekend fling with the guy who plays guitar in the band."

Not that I've put much thought into these issues...

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I was highly entertained by David last night. He was excellent and is one of the top contestants in this contest, IMO.

I loved his performance night, his was the one of the few that wasn't boring and safe. I think that Simon is so hard on him because he likes him a lot and knows how great he truly is. In my opinion he doesn't even need to win the show (although he should) in order to be successful.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

I think he's a douchebag.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2853527;
    I think he's a douchebag.

i agree with simon's critique from last night. david has become so smug, you can tell he's starting to believe his own hype and his head is getting really big. he needs to be reminded of chris daughtry because it can happen to him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by blue valentine;2853963;

i agree with simon's critique from last night. david has become so smug, you can tell he's starting to believe his own hype and his head is getting really big. he needs to be reminded of chris daughtry because it can happen to him as well.
    He should be so lucky.......Daughtry sold more albums than anyone in the US last year.

David C. wasn't my favorite from the beginning, but each week he has gained ground with me. I am very impressed with his stage presence and choices on song arrangement.

Didn't get Simeon's comment on being "smug" throughout the song.....how can someone be smug while they're singing for heaven's sake. Weird
    Actually, I thought he "felt" the song and did a great job of relating that feeling to the audience.

Normally Simon and I are in sync, but not last night.....

i meant he could be cut from the competition. i'm not sure if cut i can picture david selling as many records or being as successful as chris because to me chris is on a different level. i don't think david is as good as chris.

+ Reply to Thread