+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Chikezie Eze - Season 7

Re: Chikezie Eze - Season 7

The problem with Chikezie is that he seems to be trying on multiple personalities like outfits - one may stick if it seems to fit. He was complimented on the bluegrass outfit he wore last week at the beginning of his song, so he donned it again this week. Then in the middle, he tried on a Taylor Hicks outfit, even imitating some of Taylor's vocal style when he whipped out the harmonica.

I found it disturbing that he added the harmonica to the performance. Just because you can blow into one and make a series of notes come out does not mean that it takes no effort or time to become proficient. He used it as an accessory to his outfit, rather than as a real musical instrument.

And, for those who really listen to bluegrass, he is not a bluegrass singer, just someone trying on the outfit.

Please, please let next year's AI wannabes be taking notes in which they highlight and underline the point, "DO NOT insert instrumental or gimmicky solos that take up a substantial portion of a 90-second song." Blake Lewis made beat-boxing work because he usually integrated it into the performance (less so in his Finale version of YGLABN, which is part of why it was weaker than the first version), but both Chikezie and David Cook brought their performances to screeching halts for interludes that weren't good enough to add anything (other than "hey ma! look what I can do!") and left us with less of their singing to judge them by.

Chikezie probably is the secret petri-dish love child of Reuben and Taylor, which is why he's entertaining even when the only rational response is "wtf?"

FORT Fogey

i think he is trying too hard

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Note to Kristy Cook: you're not this year's AI country star, Chikeze is.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Love the 1st part of Chikezie's song last night. HATED the 2nd part (cue the harmonica).

I'm so in the minority. While in no way could you consider me a Chikezie fan, I liked his performance best last night. It just made me smile, especially the last part. Also, he gave Kristy a lesson on how to do fast country without getting trampled by the tempo of the band.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2853536;
    Love the 1st part of Chikezie's song last night.
    Thats it.

I don't know why everybody is raving about this new "manic Chikezie".
    He has a good voice, and what seems to be a good personality.
    He could do music like Alexander O'Neal or Freddie Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2853549;
    I'm so in the minority. While in no way could you consider me a Chikezie fan, I liked his performance best last night. It just made me smile, especially the last part. Also, he gave Kristy a lesson on how to do fast country without getting trampled by the tempo of the band.
    I enjoyed it too. On a night when most of them bored me just about to tears, he made me smile, and I actually like the blue grass take on that song. The harmonica was pretty cool too.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by corprip;2853549;
    I also thought it was terrific! Loved the arrangement and the fact that he takes risks and gives it his all. There are a few others who could take a lesson or two from him.

At least he is going to bring something lively & upbeat to what is going to be a heavily ballad laden group of Idol Tourists. Good on Chuck E Cheezy for stepping up his game & getting final 10.

+ Reply to Thread