+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by raindrops47;2807807;
    i dont understand the people who think she seems egotistical.. in fact, she seems like the exact opposite to me. she seems very humble and hard working.
    Different people perceive things differently. That's not hard to understand.

I don't find her egotistical either. She seems rather sweet, and if not humble, quite about her talent.

i dont understand the people who think she seems egotistical..
    If anything, she comes across as shy and nervous in her AI7 audition. I think what people are picking up on is how not-new the performance experience is to her. If the Wall Street Journal article about her old album is to be believed, she gained a lot of experience with both production and with doing promotional appearances, so she might well be less starry-eyed and excited about AI than someone whose only experience is singing in the choir, playing in a bar band, or even cutting a local indie CD. Melinda Doolittle, for all her humbleness, never seemed blown-away by the experience of appearing on the AI stage either. It's not egotism; it's taking for granted that yeah, this is how performing works, let's get on with it.

and she comes across as way older than she is.
    You want to see her coming across as way older than she is, check out her video on Youtube for "Blow Your Mind." She's 17 and strikes me as about 29! If anything, she looks younger now.

If anything, I feel sorry for her. She's cannon fodder for a "controversy" now and a "shocking elimination" later; having made it as far as she did professionally is ultimately going to count against her when one of the others emerges as the "big story" of growth as a performer.

**Cough** Over-rated **Cough**

I was also disgusted that while Idol wanted to fight the notion that they are doing anything wrong by bringing previous record contract holders in, at the same time they were perfectly willing to USE that story to bring in more viewers and then sink the hook by giving this girl the Pimp singing spot AND putting her FIRST in the little "contestant montage" they did the next day. They don't want the debate to go away--they'd rather amp it up even more and use her face and fate to get people watching.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Tonight on Larry King, Randy Jackson described AI as "a singing competition that's about singing, trying to find the best talent... in America... undiscovered." .

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I would argue that she is still "undiscovered", as the masses obviously did not know her before now. Who gives a crap what a record company knew (or thought they knew) before now. It must not have made a difference. I didn't know her before this season, and I'm guessing most of us didn't. That sounds like undiscovered to me.

I think in Carly's case maybe "undiscovered" is being conflated with "amateur". There's obviously no way that Carly can be considered as an amateur singer or performer, but as far as I know, American Idol has never set itself up as an amateurs only competition. They may have (over)used the concept of the everyday guy working in the mall making it big as the next pop superstar, but there have been contestants of varying levels of experience -- from rank amateur to more professional -- since the very beginning. Carly's story and the details of millions of dollars that were spent in some vague way happen to be sensational enough to catch afire in the public eye, but in my book, she's the same as any other contestant trying to make a bigger name for herself as a musician. So what if she (or any one of the other "ringers") has tried once before and failed? I don't know where it's written that you only get one chance at the music business and then you have to go sit down somewhere with your hands folded in your lap. Carly earned another shot at the top and she's taking it.

I do think she's overrated though, and all this extra attention isn't helping that one bit.

i seriously dislike her.
    Question: What did you do in your downtime?
    Anya: We made up Couture Twister and Model-opoly! Katarzyna made it up.
    : Awwwwww!

I don't have any "stand" on Carly. Just like how I feel indifferent about Kady, Alaina and Kristy!

Is it me or are ALL the contestants this year totally boring?!
    2003-2008.

Quote Originally Posted by JoaTher;2809502;
    i seriously dislike her.
    Me too.

I would argue that she is still "undiscovered", as the masses obviously did not know her before now.
    "Unsuccessful" is the word I'd use, given that she actually had a major-label CD in stores and a single flogged to radio stations. She was "discovered" by the record label that blew $2.2 million on her, and America was underwhelmed.

But that's hardly unique to her. If you include reality show appearances, Star Search, and recording contracts, 9 or 10 of the Top 24 have already been discovered to some extent. Where do you draw the line?

+ Reply to Thread