+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

I deduce that she won't last long even though she has had constant exposure/media coverage. She's not fresh faced to pull the young crowd and not wholesome enough for biblebelt America. An early exit is in store..

hate her.
    Question: What did you do in your downtime?
    Anya: We made up Couture Twister and Model-opoly! Katarzyna made it up.
    : Awwwwww!

The rules are what they are and if she's allowed to participate, it's not her fault, so I wouldn't hold her past against her too much. After all she's not that big name that it would give her unfair advantage. Or is she? We also have to remember that she's not the only one who've had recording contracts. Actually I think her past will probably hurt her more than give her advantage as she's facing bigger expectations than few others.

But what it comes to her singing: I think she's one helluva singer! IMHO she really wiped the floor with Carrie Underwood when she sang Alone in Hollywood. She has such a rich tone and great range. And I love her beautiful Irish accent too...

When she sang Alone she didn't even attempt the big notes. She dropped the key & finessed the song. I reckon if that is what passes as wiping the floor with someone then she certainly did that.

Well, that's just my opinion. Carrie may have done better job with those big notes but in my opinion she couldn't handle those low notes at all. That's why I've always thought that her version of Alone is very overrated. Carly did very good job with the higher notes (even though she did drop the key) and was just great on those low notes on the verse.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2798490;
    When she sang Alone she didn't even attempt the big notes. She dropped the key & finessed the song. I reckon if that is what passes as wiping the floor with someone then she certainly did that.
    you also saw only the edited version of that song--you didn't see her wipe the floor with those notes on other songs in hollywood like so many others did get to see.

Carly will do well--she has a very large fanbase already and she has the praise of the judges and producers--I hate to say it but even if she has the least amount of votes she won't get sent home--they have the right to alter votes in certain cases--they did it several times last year--and this i know for a fact.

Besides, there's a large majority who like her and want to see her in the top 12--so be prepared she will likely be around for a while

Carly singing "Alone", I liked Carrie much better on this song. Carly is talented but I don't think she'll go that far, top 12 for sure but beyond that who knows. For me, she's okay, I'm not wowed by her so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78;2798495;
    Well, that's just my opinion. Carrie may have done better job with those big notes but in my opinion she couldn't handle those low notes at all. That's why I've always thought that her version of Alone is very overrated. Carly did very good job with the higher notes (even though she did drop the key) and was just great on those low notes on the verse.
    Another thing is that I never "bought" Carrie singing Alone. She could belt out the big notes, sure, but she didn't "feed them" from the inside, if that makes sense. Carly may have given only 75% on that song but it was completely believable to me. It's not about how big your hair is while you sing something from the 80s or any other period, it's the attitude, the place it's coming from and whether there's anything behind those big screaming notes. I still remember Carrie's fixed vacant stares during her AI performances and her robotic deliveries, like she was programed on High and somebody hit the "go" button. That's the reason I still can't listen to Carrie without cringing.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

FORT Fogey

something tells me she is going to really have to give it all she got, or she will be out first round. People absolutely hate her for her past and for being non-american and for being pimped to us. I feel bad for her.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2799926;
    Another thing is that I never "bought" Carrie singing Alone.
    This was always my problem with Carrie. However, having said that, yes, Carly brought more feeling to the song. Performed it better if you will. But, her vocals weren't even close to Carrie's. Sure, Carrie murdered the lower register, but Carly was only marginally better.

As to the upper register, IMO Carrie smokes Carly. My primary problem with Carly is, she screams the upper register of every song she sings. Go to YT and watch Carrie's video and Carly's video. It's a classic example of singing vs screaming.

+ Reply to Thread