+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Writing with Daughtry, very cool! I too think she would be great as the front for a band. I love this gal and wish her tons of success.

I'd have to agree that somehow she just doesn't connect with the audience. I also think the tats were quite a turn off. They just didn't fit with her.

'Idol' belter Carly Smithson's new band falls into place
    By Douglas Sonders

American Idol powerhouse vocalist Carly Smithson is joining the original guys of Evanescence, who are relaunching as a hard-rock band called The Fallen. They'll make a formal announcement Monday in Hollywood, with a news conference and their first live performance. Debut song Bury Me Alive will be available at that time for free download at wearethefallen.com.

The lineup consists of Smithson and three of the four original members of Evanescence — guitarists Ben Moody and John LeCompt and drummer Rocky Gray — as well as bassist Marty O'Brien, whose recording and touring credits include Disturbed and Kelly Clarkson.

"This all happened by accident," says Smithson, who sang Evanescence's Bring Me to Life during the 2008 Idols Live tour. She's friends with Moody's housemate, Monique Morrison. "I met him once or twice (at the house) before the band thing," says Smithson, who had been working on a solo project.

Though Smithson and Moody both shared similar visions with Morrison for bands they wanted to form, Moody wasn't ready to bite.

"I'm sometimes hard-headed, and it took me a while" to give the Idol a shot, Moody says. But when another artist persuaded him to check out YouTube videos of Smithson performing, "I just kind of freaked out."

Moody called Morrison and asked her to arrange a meeting. "She happened to be with Carly and said, 'We'll be there in 20 minutes.'

"Carly is a rock star," he adds. "She was one of us."

She isn't the first Idol to attract the interest of an established act: Season 5 finalist Chris Daughtry turned down an offer to become Fuel's frontman. But Smithson jumped at her chance. "The first time we rehearsed, everybody started in on this jam of Iron Maiden. I was like, 'I'm in a band! I love this!' "

The new group's name alludes to Evanescence's 2003 major-label debut album, Fallen, which has sold 7 million copies in the USA.

Moody left Evanescence shortly after Fallen, citing creative differences with singer Amy Lee. LeCompt and Gray followed in 2007. Lee continues to perform under the Evanescence name, though the group hasn't released an album since 2006.

The Fallen plans to tour in September and initially will release its songs in small doses every few months, Moody says, "so there's always new music and new reasons to come to another show."
    Link

Thanks for that article, lobeck. It's great to her from Carly Smithson. I always pictured her fronting a band so this new endeavor should be really good for her. Can't wait to hear their first release.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Good for her. She deserves it.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

This article makes me smile. Great news for Carly!

Good news for Carly & her new bandmates.

Universal Republic Records Signs New Rock Band We Are the Fallen - Yahoo! Finance

Universal Republic Records Signs New Rock Band We Are the Fallen

Ex-Evanescence Members Join Up With American Idol Vocalist Carly Smithson

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Universal Republic Records has signed new rock group We Are The Fallen, it was announced today by Monte Lipman, President and CEO of Universal Republic Records. The new band is comprised of the original members of multiplatinum trailblazing band Evanescence, guitarists Ben Moody and John LeCompt along with drummer Rocky Gray, with enigmatic American Idol finalist Carly Smithson powering the vocal reins of the new group. Respected touring and studio bassist Marty O’Brien (Disturbed and Static-X, among others) rounds out the iconic fivesome.

“We Are The Fallen represents a bold new musical turning point and we’re thrilled to be able to deliver their music to audiences hungering for their brand of passion,” stated Lipman. “The combined elements of this band are a force to be reckoned with, and the entire company joins me in welcoming them to Universal Republic Records.”

Former Evanescence guitarist and co-songwriter Ben Moody also commented: “Carly, John, Rocky, Marty and I have been sequestered for a number of months to deliver a body of work that is going to stand the test of time. Collectively, we are thrilled to be in the very capable hands of Monte (Lipman), Avery (Lipman), and Tom (Mackay), as well as every individual at Universal Republic Records. We cannot wait to unleash our creativity in the new year.”

Carly Smithson stated: “The chemistry in this band has made for some incredible music. We are all so grateful for this amazing opportunity and thank our fans for the strong love and support they are already showing us in this early stage. We look forward to working closely now with our new family at Universal Republic Records to bring our music to as many people as possible.”

The group is currently recording their debut album for Universal Republic in Los Angeles and expect to release it in early 2010.

The energetic creative engine behind the launch of Evanescence, Moody and the other members of We Are The Fallen found a true partner in Smithson, who always envisioned a band environment as her dream move following Idol. Moody, who left the platinum-plus breakthrough metal act in 2003, has since co-written major hits for Chris Daughtry and Kelly Clarkson among others. Evanescence’s groundbreaking 2003 album, Fallen, spent an incredible 43 weeks on the Billboard Top Ten Albums Chart, selling 15 million copies worldwide, and 7 million albums in the U.S. alone.

Carly Smithson was a sixth place finisher during Season 7 of the landmark television series American Idol, duly recognized for having one of the hit shows most loyal fan bases. The fiery singer’s ‘elimination’ sent shockwaves through the ‘Idol’ blogger nation, with a critic for Entertainment Weekly even calling her dismissal ‘an embarrassing lapse in judgment.’ Her acclaimed performances on the 2008 American Idol Tour confirmed her stature as a preeminent female rock powerhouse.

Check in with We Are The Fallen at their website, www.wearethefallen.com.

That's great news for Carly and We Are The Fallen.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Congratulations to Carly and the rest of the band.

I don't know how I feel about this. I love love love Evanescence. WIll Carly be able to stir my soul like that?

+ Reply to Thread