+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Carly continues to impress me!!! Why this gal did not make it further in the competition is beyond me. Her voice is huge, she is a rocker at heart, she was incredible in concert.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

OMG...I love that photo talldede!! Thanks so much for sharing all your photos!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I've read on several sites and on Carly's Myspace that she fell and dislocated her hip at the show in Illinois. Her mom put this statement up on her myspace:

Ok everyone,yes Carly put her hip out of place last night,I have just got to speak to her 5mins ago and she said she felt it at the group song at the end of the night,and tried to sign some autographs for the fans after the show and Micheal had to get security to help her get back inside she was in so much pain.
    She has had treatment and is getting more today and is on pain killers so she feels she will be fine for tonight.She wants to thank you all for your concern.
    Marie Carly’s Mom
    and then this:

Hi Guys,
    Just to put these rumors to bed.
    Carly is not going to have any surgery she did put her hip out last night but is getting plenty of care and is on pain killers for her performance.
    So please dont listen to whoever it is saying they are family on some chat site.
    Can i take this opportunity to thank all her loyal fans for the good wishes.
    Much love
    Marie xx
    Speedy recovery to Carly!

You have to love the way the folks from over seas phrase things. Carly's Mom says, "Carly put her hip out of place last night." A painful thing, but when stated like that it sounds like she was putting the milk bottles out for replacement by the milkman.

Here is a nice update on Carly from the LA Times.

Carly Smithson: Up From 'American Idol' | Idoltracker | Los Angeles Times

Carly Smithson: Up From 'American Idol'For one year, Carly Smithson lived in one of the most public bubbles on Earth. Once the tattooed Irish rocker auditioned for "American Idol" in the summer of 2007 her life belonged to the nation as she raced through the show’s grueling stations of the cross — from the brutal tests of Hollywood week to the big stage at the Idoldome (where she was called by many the Greatest Singer in Idol History) to the bittersweet national press tour following her elimination to the finale show performing for the year’s second-largest TV audience — and finally to the 53-city summer-long "Idols Live" national jaunt to packed arenas.

And then suddenly, at the rainbow’s end, she found herself standing alone on the curb at the Burbank airport; the tour over, Season 7 disbanded and her fellow constants and comrades scattered to the winds, each to seek their fate in the cruel world of the modern music industry. And for the first time since the adventure began, Carly faced a world with no show day looming, no rapid-fire song choices, no recording contract or management, no group number choreography to practice, no hair and make-up sittings, no backstage banter with her fellow contestants and, most important, no road map to a post-"Idol" future.

It was a turning point many Idols before her had faced. For some —the Carrie Underwoods, the Chris Daughtrys and the Jennifer Hudsons — the road led to the lasting careers, fame and riches dangled in the "American Idol" promise. But for many more, life after "Idol" had been a journey of disappointments, misfired launches and struggles to find a place in an unforgiving entertainment landscape.

For Smithson, arriving at this crossroads was especially poignant as she had been here before. Six years before her "Idol" stint, Carly came to Los Angeles as a 17-year-old singer, signed by a major label, represented by the biggest management powerhouse in the business. But that experience led to sorrow when her label melted down before her album was released, leading to the record being dumped on the market with no support — a sudden abortive seeming-end to her career before it began. In the years that followed, Smithson left Hollywood, moving with her new husband to San Diego, where they ran a tattoo shop and she waitressed and sang in a Gaslamp Quarter pub, dreaming of a return to music — a dream that suddenly seemed possible after she auditioned for Season 7 of "American Idol."

And then, after a whirlwind year, suddenly it was over. When the lights went up at the end of the tour’s last show in Tulsa, Okla., the "Idol" family said its goodbyes, taking one last bus ride back to the hotel and joining in a singalong with Oasis blasting over the stereo. In the morning, they went their separate ways on to their post-"American Idol" lives. She recalls of her arrival back in California. “I was standing on the curb at Burbank airport and the city felt so huge and overwhelming, like it was going to swallow me up. But I said to myself, ‘I'm not going to let it destroy me. I need to make a plan to move forward. I need to map out week by week what I have to accomplish.’”

The plan, as it took shaped, involved getting an apartment in Hollywood, securing representation and eventually, she hoped, getting a deal to record an album. In the annals of aspiring recording stars, "Idol" alumni face a unique conundrum — they enter the music world no longer kids just off the bus from Iowa but performers known to millions. Despite that notoriety, with their contract options not picked up by "Idol" co-producer 19 Management, they must build their entire careers, and the apparatus to support them, from scratch.

“When you're in 'American Idol' you are in a fishbowl, but as soon as you get out of the whole process, you're still in a fishbowl, but it's just a bigger bowl,” Smithson says. “It's kind of bizarre that you start this process of making your record and being an artist when you're already famous. I've done this process before. I did it in coming from Ireland as a girl and went into the record company, no one knew who I was and I signed with them and they liked my voice and I went from there and made a record. But this time it's like I'm famous and I have nothing to show for it. It's weird like that.”

Drawing on her contacts from the first time around, including the music lawyer who has been with her since, Smithson signed on with Arthur Spivak, a veteran entertainment manager whose clients past and present include Tori Amos and Three Days Grace. Spivak advised Carly that rather than seeking a record deal straightaway, she should get to work with a co-writer/producer and record a handful of songs which would flesh out exactly what kind of artist she intended to be.

Despite spending four months singing before an audience of millions, a surprising number exit "Idol" to the question, “What kind of artist are you?” This was the case for Smithson, whose powerful vocal skills broke through the clutter of Season 7 but whose pop/rocker style was difficult to express through the parade of theme weeks built around the songs of Mariah Carey, Dolly Parton and Broadway musicals.

“On 'Idol' ” Smithson says, “I don't feel . . . that I solidified with the music choices exactly, who I wanted to be music-wise, the exact sound that I wanted, who Carly Smithson is. So I really felt that when I came back to L.A. before meeting with a lot of record companies and trying to explain who I wanted to be, I wanted to let them hear that this was my sound, that this is who I am.”

In an industry where so many Idols rush quickie albums to market wanting to “get something out there” while the klieg lights are still shining, only to see them belly-flop, Spivak urged taking the time to create songs that would define Carly as an unique artist but also be capable of reaching a mass audience. Describing how the industry greets "Idol" alum showing up on their doorsteps, he says, “There’ve been so many Idols who have failed. They scratch their heads and they don’t quite know what to do. They say, 'OK, you’re a nice girl and that’s nice.' And 'Arthur, we like you and you’ve been in the business a long time. But who’s going to produce? Who’s going to write? And we’re so busy. And we have no money.' So instead of [complaining] about it, we said, let's do the work and deliver it to them. So either you like it and you get it or you don’t like it. That’s the beauty of music, so you play it and either people respond or they don’t.”

“She has all of the tools to be great,” Spivak says. “But Carly will need to have song after song that are just undeniable hits because her voice is there. Her look is amazing. She sells it live, so it’s all there. If we give the community and the audience the hits, then what are people going to say, no to it? And so she took the challenge very very readily.”

And so on a blustery afternoon three months after her moment stumbling into Burbank airport, Carly Smithson labors in the Santa Monica studios of EMI on a series of songs she has fleshed out with producer/songwriter Chris DeStafano. The songs Smithson began with had been sketched out in long nights in the lounge of the "Idol" tour bus and singing into her iPhone recorder on the 405 between San Diego and Los Angeles.

In the studio, the songs seem to be the full expression of the power she only hinted at in the Idoldome. The two songs she works on —an intense ballad entitled “Lie With Me” and “Let Me Fall” a blazing power-rock anthem — are the realization of those qualities that in her brief shining moment on the "Idol" stage instantly made her one of the season’s most-watched contestants. The songs seem to be very personal (although she protests they are not taken from her life) and mature statements of relationship anguish and tormented love. Finally in these songs, her personality, her voice and her taste are encapsulated in powerful rock vocals with a melodic pop appeal.

“I really love to sing my heart out,” she said. “I like all the high notes. But I wanted powerful, powerful rock songs.”

Once the demo is finished, just ahead lies perhaps the greatest steps challenge of the entire American Idol journey — recording and releasing the first post-show album, the acid test of public interest where careers are made or falter.

“From here on,” Smithson says, chomping at the bit to have her day at last, “I'm diving in. I'm making hopefully the greatest thing that I will ever make. I will be so proud of my record and I want to be so proud of it. I want my fans to be proud of it. I don't want to just make a record to put a record out there. I understand that when come off of 'Idol' there's that window of opportunity that you have to grab a hold of, but at the end of the day it's very important to take your time and make something that you're so proud of.”

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Great article about the realities these talented artists face when the tour ends and the lights go out. Wow.

I hope Carly is wildly successful, I'm a fan.

Carly had this on her Myspace blog

January is full of exciting writing oppertunities for me including one with a certain Season 5 rocker whos RAD Hint Hint ....Yay !!!!! This album is really taking shape and I can't wait for you all to hear it .
    Writing with Daughtry????!!! I'd like to see them sing together too!

FORT Fogey

I like Carly alot. However, I tend to think she will continue to struggle despite a phenomenal voice. She doesn't have the personality to connect with an audience (well, the non-live audiences I guess based on the interview above). While she is probably a very interesting person, she doesn't (IMO) have the "it" factor Simon always talks about.

It's not just about voice. It's about that elusive connection with the audience. Only a handful have the complete package. I fear she is not one of them.

I think Carly's best bet would be to hook up as the front person for a great band.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;3264867;
    I think Carly's best bet would be to hook up as the front person for a great band.
    I think that is an excellent idea. Carly's vocal style really reminds me of Ann Wilson, and I don't think either of the Wilson sisters would have had the same success if they'd been solo artists. There has to be a band somewhere in California that would love to have Carly as a frontperson.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread