+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2796883;
    Honestly, this show had (and still has) so many contestants who have had career.
    There's a huge difference between singing in a nightclub, at county fairs, etc, and a $2 million recording contract.

wanna check you for ticks SecondBase's Avatar

Her voice is unique and very interesting and I really, really liked her auditions in the hollywood round. I think she'll turn out like Nadia Turner... a one-trick pony
    Praise seitan!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Originally Posted by razorbacker
    In fact I want to see the judges criticize her just to watch those eyes bug out again. SCARY stuff....
    I can only imagine her reaction of winding up in the bottom 3 or being eliminated and not seeing it coming

FORT Newbie

Just finished listening to Carly's CD (got it from Amazon) - it's actually pretty good. Even has a track that's also on Kelly Clarkson's first album. . . I would not be surprised if sales of this album take off during her Idol run.

IMHO, what's gonna hurt her, at least with "Middle America", is her huge tattoo. Sad to say that to many people, tats, especially large ones, are an instant turn-off. My gut feeling is that unless she keeps it covered up with sleeves, she'll lose some of that important Middle America vote. (Not mine, tho.) Remember, "image" is a very, very important factor for the voting minions. . .

But the girl can sing, that's for sure. Song choice will be very critical for her, I think.

My prediction? Final Four.

FWIW. . .

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;2796883;
    That article that they posted about her could sway some readers into not liking her, hurting her in the long run.
    I'm not sure that will matter much at all. These types of stories are fodder for us in what I think of as the AI punditocracy, but for the general voting public? I don't think they pay attention to this or even care. Heck, look at the grief we gave Sanjaya last year, and it didn't exactly hurt his voting bloc, did it?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I listened to clips from her album and watched a portion of her video on iTunes. I was pretty underwhelmed.

Another thing. On Canadian Idol we've had a couple of people who have had record deals AND were well known. We had one member of the Moffats try out and he made it to top 32. The Moffats were a really well known boy band and had a string of hits.

Another guy, Rob James, was in a duo called McMaster and James and they had a really well known song that I still hear on the radio from time to time and he made top 12.

At least Carly is starting off pretty much fresh. I hope people give her a chance because she is really talented. If you see her perform and think she stinks then fine, but at least give her a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by kwtaylor;2796091;
    Personally, I think she is good--and at least she knows who she is artistically---i have a problem with 16 year olds being on this show and wish they would raise the age limit because the really young folks have no clue who they are artistically and often say they want to do an album with music for everyone--that bothers me--

carly has a great voice, and she is really, really a nice person...so i for one will be listening to her carefully and she will be one of the one's who gets my support--the interesting thing about this season is that there are 5 people that are excellent--so it will be tough picking an all out favorite
    Knowing who she is artistically & knowing what she wanted to say on an album certainly didn't help her acheive any semblence of stardom even with $2 million behind her.

That picture of her could be an album cover. This is the best "rocker girl" American Idol has ever had.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2797439;
    Knowing who she is artistically & knowing what she wanted to say on an album certainly didn't help her acheive any semblence of stardom even with $2 million behind her.
    well honestly i don't care whether she's had an album out or not--the truth is most contestants on american idol have had an album--she may have had a larger sum of money used to promote the album but i certainly had never heard of her before idol so they obviously didn't do too good of a job promoting her. Time will tell how well she does--but, at least she knows what kind of singer that she is---rather than saying i want an album with music for everyone--that doesn't work and translates into i don't know what i want to do--and the young teens just don't know yet--i watch idol to hear good singing--period--not because this one has or hasn't had an album--i want the best singer with the best personality to go far--so far carly has shown me she can sing and that she has some spunk

+ Reply to Thread