+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2795831;
    In fact I want to see the judges criticize her just to watch those eyes bug out again. SCARY stuff....
    A bonus to having her on the show I hadn't previously considered.

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2795831;
    Someone already has $2 million invested in this girl. They have to get some of that back somehow, someway, even if it just the publicity gained on this show that helps her in the future. Can't say I'm going to be rooting for her at all. In fact I want to see the judges criticize her just to watch those eyes bug out again. SCARY stuff....
    Personally, I think she is good--and at least she knows who she is artistically---i have a problem with 16 year olds being on this show and wish they would raise the age limit because the really young folks have no clue who they are artistically and often say they want to do an album with music for everyone--that bothers me--

carly has a great voice, and she is really, really a nice person...so i for one will be listening to her carefully and she will be one of the one's who gets my support--the interesting thing about this season is that there are 5 people that are excellent--so it will be tough picking an all out favorite

Leo
    Premium Member

I think being artistically established might be one thing that I might hurt Carly in the long run. To win, you have to show a trend of improving yourself as the season goes on. The question is, with Carly, how much upside is there left?

She's good but not as good as the judges were raving about her. If she makes it to the top 12, I don't see her doing that well. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2796107;
    I think being artistically established might be one thing that I might hurt Carly in the long run. To win, you have to show a trend of improving yourself as the season goes on. The question is, with Carly, how much upside is there left?
    There's a difference between being artistically established and knowing who you are artistically--knowing who you are is important to any artist--you have to find the niche that's right for you--whether it be country--pop--rock--whatever....Most of the youngins say they want to have a little of everything on their album--and that bothers me because an album with one rap song, one country song, one pop song, one rock song, one jazz song, etc would be ridiculous--you need to find your niche and stick with it--16 year olds don't have that yet--or at least not any on american idol yet--

She's already had a recording contract with MCA records (article on yahoo entertainment), resulting in 350 CDs sold, despite $2MILLION dollar investment. Doesn't that mean she's disqualified?

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2796351;
    She's already had a recording contract with MCA records (article on yahoo entertainment), resulting in 350 CDs sold, despite $2MILLION dollar investment. Doesn't that mean she's disqualified?
    As long as you currently don't have a recording contract you can audition. Same applies to Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera if they really wanted to try out. She's not breaking the rules so her having a previous album really doesn't matter to me.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2796351;
    ALmost everyone that auditioned this season has a cd that they have put out that didn't make it--same thing with last years contestants--the only thing that is a stipulation is that they don't currently have one, and are not under any form of management for music at the time of audition

I have to disagree with a lot of the sentiments here - I don't think it matters one whit that she had a contract at some point. The fact it was low-selling could be due to a variety of factors, including poor management and lack of promotion. Who knows how that $2 million was allocated? She appears to be very determined to make a living by playing music - step aside for someone else? No way. She gets guaranteed national exposure on AI, and frankly I think it would show a lack of drive and determination on her part if she were to meekly decline to compete because she's put out a CD. Also, I don't know why she would opt to take part in UK Idol (or Pop Star, whatever it's called now) when she's married to an American and lives in the U.S.

I think her main weakness is pretty much what Leo said - she's very likely playing at the top of her game already, and her musical style is all over the map - Celine and Ann Wilson? She sounds like an artist who hasn't really found herself yet.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by kwtaylor;2796482;
    ALmost everyone that auditioned this season has a cd that they have put out that didn't make it--same thing with last years contestants--the only thing that is a stipulation is that they don't currently have one, and are not under any form of management for music at the time of audition
    Exactly. And yet, Yahoo! is only focusing on her. It's been on their front page for about 2 days now (which is pretty long for Yahoo!). It could be because she had a really big recording contract, but nonetheless, they kept bringing up the fact that this show is about "finding the next big undiscovered talent." Honestly, this show had (and still has) so many contestants who have had career. All Yahoo! is doing is giving her a huge disadvantage. That article that they posted about her could sway some readers into not liking her, hurting her in the long run.

Oh, and AJane, Pop Idol ended pretty long ago. They have the X Factor now.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

+ Reply to Thread