+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 40 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

I am not directing this to any of the previous posters, so please don't anyone take this personally.

I wonder how many people just don't like Carly (or David A.) simply because they feel they are being pimped and don't actually ever REALLY listen to them.
    Leaving aside the people who absolutely think Carly should have been ineligible, since they've taken a philosophical stand that logically calls for not caring about the vocals -- is it not listening, or is it expecting a lot more oomph in order to justify the pimpage?

I'm not a Carly hater, nor a Carly lover, more a Carly lukewarmer -- I think I rated her Beatles performance as #3 or #4 for the week -- but I'm always surprised by how she strikes me as more amateurish and unsure of herself than some of the less experienced singers, despite a practiced vocal technique. Maybe it's the not relating so much to the audience. Maybe it's asking Simon what she ought to sing. Maybe I subconsciously hate her hair (which looks a lot better in the Top 12 party photos). Maybe it's that comparing her to Kelly Clarkson... well, compares her to Kelly Clarkson, who lit up a stage. Maybe I'm just not wired right to hop on the Carly bandwagon -- it's hard to put a finger on what charisma is, and Carly's problem in the past was that only 378 people went wild for her. If she got up to 378 with her teenage efforts, then of course she's going to find some sort of fan base on AI, because her problem is not lack of singing talent.

In any case, I think she's been built up as this incredible, fantastic, amazing phenomenon, and then what we get is a talented, cooperative, attractive, practiced performer with a good voice, in a season where the competition is diverse and tough.

(David A. just sings in a style I can't stand, even if he never forgot the lyrics, had the looks of Luke Menard, and was an underdog.)

FORT Fogey

I think the media has played up both Carly and David A., and that unfortunately, it may really hurt them in the end. I was a little standoffish with them at first, and neither is really my style, but I do think they are the best vocalists of the bunch, and they deserve any sort of accolades they may be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle;2840572;
    Without a doubt she "is/sees herself as" a rock singer.
    Actually, I could be wrong but I think that she said in one of her interview packages that people think of her as a rocker girl, but she is more a fan of barbara and celine.... could be wrong about that, but I dont think she sees herself as a rock girl. I dont mind the judges pimping her, but simon pretending to not know her name was pretty lame.. I do think that she is the strongest female contestant, and I think that she has the most potential, I just dont think she's been picking good songs... I have a feeling at some point she will be the one that will have that "wow" performance that will leave everyone talking though (mcphee's over the rainbow, jordin's I who have nothing, etc)
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

Has anybody heard any of her older songs when she first started out. I heard that back then at least she had a bad recording voice.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

The "Blow Your Mind" video was available on Youtube a couple weeks ago when I checked. Her voice seemed perfectly pleasant, if unmemorable. You wouldn't immediately scream "Carly!" upon hearing it, but you wouldn't wince, either.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Again, my girl Carly doesn't disappoint. One of the best performances of last night by far. Everytime I hear this girl sing I am blown away by how precise and refined her vocals are. She could sing the phonebook. I think she'll do great whether she wins AI or not.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2853105;
    Again, my girl Carly doesn't disappoint. One of the best performances of last night by far. Everytime I hear this girl sing I am blown away by how precise and refined her vocals are. She could sing the phonebook. I think she'll do great whether she wins AI or not.
    I absolutely agree. I have no clue what was going on with Simon last night. She did a fabulous job and great song choice! Randy and Paula got that.

Was Simon just totally distracted by how much of the song list apparently involved items that belonged in the middle of an album, not as a solo performance? Carly showed off a beautiful voice and actually opened her eyes and related to the audience. I thought this was her most appealing performance, but yeah, it's a nothing song.

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Carly was excellent last night, she is incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2853181;
    Was Simon just totally distracted by how much of the song list apparently involved items that belonged in the middle of an album, not as a solo performance? Carly showed off a beautiful voice and actually opened her eyes and related to the audience. I thought this was her most appealing performance, but yeah, it's a nothing song.
    But when she opened her eyes, she did that popping thing again with them. I think it is all an affectation, a "look at me, see how I feel the music?" kind of thing. Nope, I just don't feel the warmth here. Light's on, but nobody's home.
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

+ Reply to Thread