+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Why do people hate her so ? That she is Irish ? But there's no denying her talent.

FORTified with vitamins phunkykat's Avatar

she's alright but i don't think she's great or anything. she did well with come together but it is also a song she says she does live all the time, so it is a performance that was fine-tuned over time, not something she learned and practiced in a week's time. for me, that takes a little away from how good it was. i just really don't like her that much, and don't care one way or another how far she goes. i don't think she'll win, she's just not that dynamic.
    Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
    Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

RIP Lily, the original phunky kat. 1997-2009

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;2839631;
    Why do people hate her so ? That she is Irish ? But there's no denying her talent.
    She can sing, but she has no interaction with the audience. She is a performer rather than an entertainer. There is no soul, no connection to those in front of her, or those watching at home, IMO. It's technically good, but there is no "wow" factor.
    Down where the old Gators play. . .

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalSinner;2839631;
    Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with her birthplace. This is a nation of immigrants, after all. I love Carly to pieces, but I think she's still casting about for a musical genre that defines her. She's not really a rock singer, but she's not Celine either. She's definitely not a folkie like Brooke, and certainly not a country singer like Kristy Lee. So at this point, she's needing to build her fanbase on vocal talent and charisma alone, because she won't get, say, country music fans to vote for her because they love country artists. A tough spot to be in but she's obviously appealing to enough voters to keep her comfortably in it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Without a doubt she "is/sees herself as" a rock singer.
    But one that is so irrelevant by not reflecting the slightest hint of a unique personality, that it bores me into a coma when she's on stage.

This season is really bogged down by those make believe front runners, who are grabbing all the attention.

David Archuleta, the one trick pony choir boy.

Michael Johns, who only shines when impersonating the original artist of the song he performs.

People might think I'm crazy when I mention Ramiele or Syesha.
    But I see the possibility of something interesting to develop.
    And i rather go for that possibility, than for the much ballyhooed but already often rejected "front runners".

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient City;2839904;
    She can sing, but she has no interaction with the audience. She is a performer rather than an entertainer. There is no soul, no connection to those in front of her, or those watching at home, IMO. It's technically good, but there is no "wow" factor.

I tend to agree with you. She needs to connect a bit more with the audience with the rock songs. I think she does better with the ballads (a la 1960s week), when she apparently concentrates more on the lyric of the songs.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

FORT Newbie

Just to jump in quickly with something Carly's fans and detractors might find worthwhile. As we compile the approval ratings each week for the WhatNotToSing database, we're finding two interesting trends.

First: Most people fit somewhere along the Carly spectrum of (A) Hate her, hate her voice, hate the horse she rode in on, (B) Hate her, love her voice, (C) Love everything about her except maybe the tattoos. Early in the season there was a fairly even distribution between the three camps. Over the past two weeks though, we're seeing a pronounced shift from A to B, and even some movement from B to C. Her positives have been steadily rising. This week she had her highest-rated performance to date and her first in the top strata (81 of 100). Even her standard deviation (the measure of how much difference of opinion there is among Web reviews) is falling to more normal levels. This data includes FORT reviews, as this is one of the sites we regularly poll.

The other trend: the people still in Camp A are entrenched and they're growing angry and more vocal. There are a lot of folks who are furious that she's in the competition, who believe her voice is nothing special, and who believe she's being overpraised and overpimped. So I don't expect a whole lot more movement from A to B, but it does seem as though she has enough support (either wholehearted, or of the Fantasia-esque "hate her but must give her props" variety) potentially to win the competition. But her high negatives probably mean she doesn't have a whole lot of room for error.

Incidentally, there are several very polarizing contestants this year besides Carly, particularly DavidA and Amanda, and others are getting there like DavidC, Brooke, Jason, and Michael. I think what's happening is that there are so many viable Idols of very different styles, so the fanbases are much more delineated, the "threats" to one's favorite are more numerous, and thus the hate is picking up much earlier than usual. Quite an interesting season so far.

FORT Fanatic

I just don't like her - couldn't even explain why! Everyone I know who watches the show raves about her - but I watch her and just wish to turn the channel for some reason. She irritates me and I think it is because from the get go they raved how good she was but I don't feel it. Perhaps it is the connection thing.

I think a guy wins it for sure this year.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I am not directing this to any of the previous posters, so please don't anyone take this personally.

I wonder how many people just don't like Carly (or David A.) simply because they feel they are being pimped and don't actually ever REALLY listen to them. Pimpage doesn't bother me, I am not swayed by the judges' comments and I don't decide that I don't like a singer based on the number of tattoos (or lack of a neck, or whatever physical "distraction" that may exist). I just enjoy good singing and try to give credit where it is due.

+ Reply to Thread