+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Re: Carly Smithson - Season 7

Uhhhhh......Isn't this AMERICAN Idol? I can't vote for a non American for a show that is called American Idol. I don't care how good she is. That being said. If she were an American citizen, I would totally vote for her because I think she is one of the more talented women in the competition.

No doubt the girl can sing. My only issue is, if MCA couldn't break her with $2.2 million in backing, why should I believe Idol is going to be able to. She may turnout to be the female Taylor Hicks.

Yeah, whats with that? Snatching off chances worldwide.
    Leave some opportunities for people.
    Is she on a worldwide "ruining it for others tour"?

I couldn't care less where she is from.
    But obviously nobody is interested in buying her records.

This year is just full of people who turned "trying to make it" into their career. :nono
    Not their profession.
    They have mastered the art of wiggling themselves in, with a great first impression, just to be a letdown when it comes to delivering unique substance.
    An outstanding performance is more than craftsmanship.
    Technical perfection alone can turn into a self-indulgent bore fest if the audience is not captured.

In another thread there was talk about the "fillers" of each season, the guys that have no chance of becoming the Idol anyway.
    Normally the ones that book their ticket home, with a series of train wrecks.
    I think this years fillers are the much ballyhooed "super talents".
    In the end, the audience won't care, once again.
    Or even worse, they start to get on everybody's nerves, cause their act turns into a constantly repeating cliché.

And the next American Idol will be somebody who no one saw coming.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2827533;

No doubt the girl can sing. My only issue is, if MCA couldn't break her with $2.2 million in backing, why should I believe Idol is going to be able to. She may turnout to be the female Taylor Hicks.
    The girl can definitely sing, that's for sure. And the longer she stays in the running, the more Byrd will work with her to improve her technical skills, and hopefully control the "shouting/screaming" certain folk are accusing her of.

Somewhere I read an article (found through a SirLinksAlot link) where Carly talked about her record deal in detail, most of which has not come out in the MSM and message boards. Here's some of the points I picked up on that others have either conveniently overlooked or were unaware of:

First: It was recorded when she was 15, nearly 10 years ago. How many really know what they want to do as an artist when they're in their middle teens?

Second: MCA then sat on it for nearly two years, due to the more adult-sounding lyrics on some of the tracks.

Third: The video everyone's talking about was filmed when she was 17.

Fourth: The album was released on September 11, 2001. Think about that for a moment - EVERYTHING in the US ground to a halt on 9/11, and the country remained in shock for several weeks. My guess is that if you were to look at all the CD's released on that date, most tanked, sales-wise. So it's release was unfortunately a victim of bad timing, and extremely poor promotion by MCA.

Was all this Carly's fault or MCA's?

I think it's time we put all the "because she had a contract that bombed" Carly-bashing to rest. Lots of artists have had failed recording contracts or spent years in the trenches before making it big. Let's let her pursue her dream through this opportunity that Idol has provided for her. What she does with the exposure after this season's over will be up to her.

I like Carly, but I'm actually more a fan of Brooke's interpretive and artistic skills - a young Carly Simon or Carol King, if you will.

FWIW. . .

RustySax, to the FORT! I really enjoyed your post, and wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. I also prefer Brooke, but I find I'm liking Carly better and better each week. I also get what Simon means about her not quite connecting with the right song and style yet. He said last night that she could "sing the phone book", but I'm thinking that ability is also her greatest liability. To borrow an old phrase, is Carly going to end up as a jack of all trades, but master of none? If you can sing every form reasonably well, maybe you don't work quite as hard as someone who excels at only one style.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by RustySax;2827817;
    The girl can definitely sing, that's for sure. And the longer she stays in the running, the more Byrd will work with her to improve her technical skills, and hopefully control the "shouting/screaming" certain folk are accusing her of.

Somewhere I read an article (found through a SirLinksAlot link) where Carly talked about her record deal in detail, most of which has not come out in the MSM and message boards. Here's some of the points I picked up on that others have either conveniently overlooked or were unaware of:

First: It was recorded when she was 15, nearly 10 years ago. How many really know what they want to do as an artist when they're in their middle teens?

Second: MCA then sat on it for nearly two years, due to the more adult-sounding lyrics on some of the tracks.

Third: The video everyone's talking about was filmed when she was 17.

Fourth: The album was released on September 11, 2001. Think about that for a moment - EVERYTHING in the US ground to a halt on 9/11, and the country remained in shock for several weeks. My guess is that if you were to look at all the CD's released on that date, most tanked, sales-wise. So it's release was unfortunately a victim of bad timing, and extremely poor promotion by MCA.

Was all this Carly's fault or MCA's?

I think it's time we put all the "because she had a contract that bombed" Carly-bashing to rest. Lots of artists have had failed recording contracts or spent years in the trenches before making it big. Let's let her pursue her dream through this opportunity that Idol has provided for her. What she does with the exposure after this season's over will be up to her.

I like Carly, but I'm actually more a fan of Brooke's interpretive and artistic skills - a young Carly Simon or Carol King, if you will.

FWIW. . .
    I hope you didn't take away from what I was saying, that I in any way hold a previous contract or album against Carly. I don't, & all of the reasons you posted as to why she didn't make it still don't lead away from the fact that it didn't work out. Who knows, maybe this time will be different, at least she will have a huge recognition factor going for her.

I wanna like her, but I just don't like her, God help me like her, 'cause I think she's gonna be around awhile.

I think this girl can really sing..and sing well.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I just want her to follow Simon's advice and break through with a show stopping performance. She really isn't using her voice to her full potential.

You call that MUSIC!!?? Ellender's Avatar

Anyone else notice the parallels between Carly and the first American Idol? Her voice and style so remind me of Kelly Clarkson, especially the Kelly of the "Breakaway" album. Even the two names are strikingly similar: Kelly Clarkson / Carly Smithson

This season seems to have a lot of talent - I would say more evenly distributed among the finalists than in most previous years - but it does sort of seem like they are going for "types" that correspond to previous Idol stars (a Kelly type, a Ruben type, several Carrie types, a Daughtry type, a sort of Clay type, etc.). Anyway I think Carly's biggest problem in terms of post-show success is that she is not all that distinctive in voice or style even though she does have amazing pipes.

+ Reply to Thread