+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Brooke White - Season 7

Re: Brooke White - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;2944498;
    So ... you really do think that with Brooke in the bottom the week before, and Carly not - that Carly's performance this week and Brooke's performance this week caused them to flip-flop? Wasn't this hailed as Carly's best in a while? Doesn't seem that probable to me. If SYESHA had left, we would have reason to believe it was just normal voting. But that site set its sights on keeping Brooke - and it was enough.
    This past week would have terrified Brooke's dedicated fans into power-voting for her and probably drew her some votes from people who'd like to see her around longer but weren't impressed with the specific performance.

Carly appeared to be out of danger, so the people voting largely to "save" her would have backed down, figuring her own devoted fans would carry her through. Problem is, we're now into the phase where fanbase devotion needs to be passionate and unstinting; your core fans have to vote heavily every week and you have to be picking up new voters. If Carly was falling short in either of those areas -- off she goes.

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2944473;

The thing with David Cook is, if you look at what he does from week to week, he actually doesn't brush the judges' criticisms off; if you watch closely the following week, he always follows up on anything the judges dinged him for. He just doesn't make a huge fuss over it. And he doesn't whipsaw his basic approach to please Simon; he incorporates the comments into his own overall direction. That's exactly the right way to handle the experience.
    Actually, David Cook doesn't "always" follow what the judges say. I think he mostly follows his (excellent) instincts regardless of the judges' chatter. I do think Brooke needs to trust her own instincts--like she did in the early weeks of AI.
    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar

*oops nevermind*
    Last edited by cottoncandy; 04-24-2008 at 01:47 PM.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2944228;
    I don't particularly care. I once went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert, and at that time he had been touring for probably 30 years. At one point he came to a complete stop, said "What the hell was that?" and started over. I don't recall anyone making a great hue and cry about it.
    Funny you should mention that. Many, many years ago I went to a Gordon Lightfoot show where he asked the audience what they would like to hear. Someone yelled "Miguel" and they started the song, only to stop and say something to the effect that he wasn't sure he could remember it! The audience got a big kick out of it.

People are very critical about forgetting lyrics and now the starting-stopping thing. Entertainers are only human and these types of things happen way more than most of us realize. It makes life interesting, for sure, especially if you're the singer.
    Last edited by Blues Songstres; 04-24-2008 at 05:07 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2945284;
    Funny you should mention that. Many, many years ago I went to a Gordon Lightfoot show where he asked the audience what they would like to hear. Someone yelled "Miguel" and they started the song, only to stop and say something to the effect that he wasn't sure he could remember it! The audience got a big kick out of it.

People are very critical about forgetting lyrics and now the starting-stopping thing. Entertainers are only human and these types of things happen way more than most of us realize. It makes life interesting, for sure, especially if you're the singer.
    I think there is a huge difference between making a mistake and thinking on your feet enough to entertain the audience with the mistake (which is what it sounds like Gordon Lightfoot has done in these examples) and making a mistake, and just starting over without any acknowledgement or entertainment factor for the audience. When you're performing, the audience being entertained has to be the single focus.

The trick is to not let the audience know you forgot the lyrics. Carly muffed the beginning of her song and kept going. Most people didn't know she screwed up the lyrics. If Brooke goes on after AI then that will be something she will most likely learn.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2945345;
    I think there is a huge difference between making a mistake and thinking on your feet enough to entertain the audience with the mistake (which is what it sounds like Gordon Lightfoot has done in these examples) and making a mistake, and just starting over without any acknowledgement or entertainment factor for the audience. When you're performing, the audience being entertained has to be the single focus.
    Beautifully put.

The longer the discussion goes on, the more I feel like I'm picking on poor Brooke by insisting that aspiring professionals act... well, professional. But when even Paula Abdul brings something up as her first comment, before and instead of the usual puppies and rainbows and pretty dresses, it has to be serious.

The whole "starting over" thing just played perfect into the drama of the song itself.
    And a vast majority saw it obviously the same way.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 04-24-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Brooke is a big fat phony! She took a shot and did it for attention and it worked! I thought it the night it happened and damn, it worked. She looked guilty when Ryan asked her why she stopped. Shame on you Brooke.:nono. Good news is that she'll NEVER win.

I think that Brooke always looks nervous and has major problems overcoming her nerves. I think Carly sang a lot better than she did on ALW night, but that's the way it goes I guess.

+ Reply to Thread