+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 40 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 400

Thread: Brooke White - Season 7

  1. #351
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2944228;
    I don't particularly care. I once went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert, and at that time he had been touring for probably 30 years. At one point he came to a complete stop, said "What the hell was that?" and started over. I don't recall anyone making a great hue and cry about it.
    On the flip side, I went to a Barry Manilow concert a few years ago, where after every 2 or 3 songs, he'd pause and ask the sound guy to take the sound up, or down, or make other adjustments. He did it enough that it started to get really annoying. After the 5 or 6 time he did it, the crowd started booing anytime he'd say the sound guy's name.

  2. #352
    Add another "r" Nrmrr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    144

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2944228;
    I don't particularly care. I once went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert, and at that time he had been touring for probably 30 years. At one point he came to a complete stop, said "What the hell was that?" and started over. I don't recall anyone making a great hue and cry about it.
    I heard Dolly Parton did that once also.

    My sister was at an Eddie Money concert and he got tangled in his own microphone cord and fell off the stage. As entertaining as I am sure that was, I'd rather someone restarted than did that.

  3. #353
    Ruben is "Soulful" pillbeam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,115

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2944099;
    The machine's gotten smarter over the years, though. If they're going to do anything with her as a professional recording artist -- and now that she's survived to Top 5, they probably will -- they almost have to see that she gets whatever training or practice she needs to be more pulled together on stage. These are all learnable skills.

    Actually, Brooke is quite polished in her concert videos before she got on AI. Her problem on AI isn't experience, it's that she is obsessed with the judges' critiques and is worring about them during her songs. She is way too sensitive to the judges--that's apparent in her chattering. She should follow David Cook's lead and brush the comments off (which he does so marvelously with a slight sneer of the mouth).

    By the way, I'm happy Brooke survived this week. I pray that she picks the right songs next week and emotes the hell out of them in her down-to-earth folk style. I am relieved that the anti-Brooke (screamer robot Carly) is gone.

    "Tons of surprises, but it wouldn't be 'American Idol' without it, would it?" Cowell told MTV News. "At the end of the day, I could go out and find 12 great singers, but that's kind of boring. The fact that there's people there who shouldn't be there makes it 'American Idol.' "

  4. #354
    FORT Fogey mbcrowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    47
    Posts
    853

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Anyone who is paying attention knows why she has stayed. And she should last at least one more week as Screamysha leaves. The trick will be seeing if votes from "that site" are enough to outweigh the fanbases of David, David, and Jason.

  5. #355
    Duke Blue Devil Tickety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cameron Indoor
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2944414;
    She is way too sensitive to the judges--that's apparent in her chattering. She should follow David Cook's lead and brush the comments off (which he does so marvelously with a slight sneer of the mouth).

    I am relieved that the anti-Brooke (screamer robot Carly) is gone.
    I liked the way Brooke explained herself this week when Ryan asked her why she was quiet after the judges' critique on Tueday. She apologized for often interrupting them in the past (they all smiled and laughed at that! I did too) and said she was trying to just be quiet and listen. That's definitely the way to go, Brooke!

    Brooke (and Jason, as the male equivalent) is something special that AI hasn't had before - she's folksy and really brings out the heart and soul of the songs she sings, whether it's So Happy Together or Love Is A Battlefield or Let It Be.

    Hoping she pulls it together and relaxes next week. Someone take this girl to a spa!
    2003-2008.

  6. #356
    FORT Fanatic calamari's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    638

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2944414;
    Actually, Brooke is quite polished in her concert videos before she got on AI. Her problem on AI isn't experience, it's that she is obsessed with the judges' critiques and is worring about them during her songs. She is way too sensitive to the judges--that's apparent in her chattering. She should follow David Cook's lead and brush the comments off (which he does so marvelously with a slight sneer of the mouth).
    I could buy that explanation very easily.

    The thing with David Cook is, if you look at what he does from week to week, he actually doesn't brush the judges' criticisms off; if you watch closely the following week, he always follows up on anything the judges dinged him for. He just doesn't make a huge fuss over it. And he doesn't whipsaw his basic approach to please Simon; he incorporates the comments into his own overall direction. That's exactly the right way to handle the experience.

    And that, Brooke does need to get a handle on. The judges are trying to get the most marketable performances out of people, and Simon's approach is tough love, emphasis on the tough. It's not personal.

  7. #357
    Duke Blue Devil Tickety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cameron Indoor
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by mbcrowder;2944456;
    Anyone who is paying attention knows why she has stayed. And she should last at least one more week as Screamysha leaves. The trick will be seeing if votes from "that site" are enough to outweigh the fanbases of David, David, and Jason.
    I don't think people will honestly spend 2 hours of their life voting for someone they don't believe in just to prove others wrong.

    But hey! I'm insane, I really don't like Carly and really do think Brooke and Jason deserved to stay over her. Gee, maybe others felt the same.
    2003-2008.

  8. #358
    FORT Fogey mbcrowder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    47
    Posts
    853

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    Quote Originally Posted by Tickety;2944476;
    I don't think people will honestly spend 2 hours of their life voting for someone they don't believe in just to prove others wrong.

    But hey! I'm insane, I really don't like Carly and really do think Brooke and Jason deserved to stay over her. Gee, maybe others felt the same.
    So ... you really do think that with Brooke in the bottom the week before, and Carly not - that Carly's performance this week and Brooke's performance this week caused them to flip-flop? Wasn't this hailed as Carly's best in a while? Doesn't seem that probable to me. If SYESHA had left, we would have reason to believe it was just normal voting. But that site set its sights on keeping Brooke - and it was enough.

  9. #359
    ☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    458

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    I think that the probability of a professional entertainer flubbing lyrics and continuing the song without stopping is far bigger than stopping the whole song and starting over. It probably happens and people don't even notice, and if they did notice, it flowed on with the song, quickly forgotten. I still think that is the professional way to handle it, and it is a rarity, not to mention an annoyance, to stop the song and start it over as if it is a rehearsal. I have been to many concerts, plays, performances, etc and I haven't seen it happen, not even once. Her voice quality is a separate issue. I think she has a good voice and belongs in the competition. I don't think it is the best voice in the competition. I also find her demeanor to be sulky and she doesn't seem to take criticism very well.

  10. #360
    Duke Blue Devil Tickety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Cameron Indoor
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Brooke White - Season 7

    I don't see what you mean?

    People vote for their favorites. They like Brooke, so they vote. She doesn't do as well, but she's their favorite, so they vote, to keep her in. Not as many people have Carly as their favorite - so she gets fewer votes.

    I think it would be very wrong to think people vote to obey a site or to obey what someone tells them to do.
    2003-2008.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.