+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Brooke White - Season 7

FORT Fogey

Re: Brooke White - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2940553;
    To me, Brooke was between a rock and a hard place. It was either start over or turn in something like David Archuleta's We Can Work It Out. It wasn't going to be a popular decision either way.
    The better choice would have been to go the David A way - he was certainly not the first person on AI to forget or flub the words. Had Brooke done that, she would have come across as making a forgivable mistake that many have made. By doing what she did, she advertised her screw up to a level never before done on ths show, and announced to the world that she did not belong there.

FORT Fanatic

I have never felt so bad for a competitor before. I just said "Oh Brooke" when she stopped again. But I do think she did the right thing...in a situation like that you have to do what feels right for you. She made it through - barely...but I bet it would have been lovely if she was not so nervous. I still thought her heartfeltness and sadness was almost suited to the song. Perhaps the sympathy vote will keep her through..but I don't think so...and I'm a Brooke fan.

Leo
    Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2940558;
    The better choice would have been to go the David A way - he was certainly not the first person on AI to forget or flub the words. Had Brooke done that, she would have come across as making a forgivable mistake that many have made. By doing what she did, she advertised her screw up to a level never before done on ths show, and announced to the world that she did not belong there.
    I'm not convinced of that part I bolded. Year in, year out, contestants are absolutely pilloried for forgetting the lyrics. The Idol punditocracy would not have been terribly forgiving IMHO.

To me, Brooke was between a rock and a hard place. It was either start over or turn in something like David Archuleta's We Can Work It Out. It wasn't going to be a popular decision either way.
    For a professional performer, there's no dilemma. You soldier through and make the best of it -- make up words if you have to, hum a bit, sing nonsense syllables, doesn't matter, so long as your manner of being completely in control of the situation never waivers. Handling it that way wouldn't have won glowing praise, but it would have shown that Brooke knows how to act like a pro.

Brooke's start-overs and visible nerves mean she needs a lot more training in performance skills before she's ready for a professional career. There's no reason she can't tackle that and be fine... but she needs to.

I admire her spunk in thinking it is ok to stop and start over. In my years of performing (piano) I never had the gumption to start over. In some cases, it might have been better than what was performed. But I was taught to "soldier on" no matter what. I think if you have practiced enough, your talent will shine through. We all have those times of forgetting....it's all about how you recover.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by calamari;2940591;
    For a professional performer, there's no dilemma. You soldier through and make the best of it -- make up words if you have to, hum a bit, sing nonsense syllables, doesn't matter, so long as your manner of being completely in control of the situation never waivers. Handling it that way wouldn't have won glowing praise, but it would have shown that Brooke knows how to act like a pro.

Brooke's start-overs and visible nerves mean she needs a lot more training in performance skills before she's ready for a professional career. There's no reason she can't tackle that and be fine... but she needs to.
    I agree completely.

Leo, I was not saying that flubbing the lyrics as a forgivable mistake would have gone unmentioned or been criticized. Rather, I was saying that it would have been the lesser of two mistakes

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

True, yes. But I could forgive Brooke for last night's start-and-stop had it had it not already happened a few weeks ago when she flubbed up the beginning of a song and had to start over again.

To err is human. I've seen others mess up at the beginning of a song, hell, it's happened to me while singing in church a few times. But that's in church, not in a huge forum such as a competition stage where credibility and perfection is everything, especially being the top 6 of AI. This isn't a high school assembly or karaoke, rather, it is perhaps the biggest chance she'll ever have in a lifetime so screwing it up is not an option.

Which once again proves why Brooke and her guitar belong in a college coffeehouse. She has neither the nerves, nor frame of mind for performing on a big stage, and last night proved that more than ever.
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 04-23-2008 at 09:59 AM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Jolly's Journal rocks! davidbird's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;2940675;
    True, yes. But I could forgive Brooke for last night's start-and-stop had it had it not already happened a few weeks ago when she flubbed up the beginning of a song and had to start over again.

To err is human. I've seen others mess up at the beginning of a song, hell, it's happened to me while singing in church a few times. But that's in church, not in a huge forum such as a competition stage where credibility and perfection is everything, especially being the top 6 of AI.

Which once again proves why Brooke and her guitar belong in a college coffeehouse. She has neither the nerves, nor frame of mind for performing on a big stage, and last night proved that more than ever.
    I'm glad somebody agrees with me. Stopping and starting over has always been a huge faux pas in performing. I don't consider it brave, I consider it terribly unprofessional. And yes, if it was her first time it would be different, but if she's already done this twice in about a dozen performances since the competition began, that would give audience members a 15% chance of seeing her stop and start. Who would pay to see that? Nobody pays to see rehearsals of performances, and stopping and starting IS a rehearsal. It just emphasizes her apparent insecurity on stage.

I don't mean to bash Brooke, I liked her to begin with, but I don't think she should get away with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo;2940583;
    I'm not convinced of that part I bolded. Year in, year out, contestants are absolutely pilloried for forgetting the lyrics. The Idol punditocracy would not have been terribly forgiving IMHO.
    You SHOULD be "pilloried" for forgetting the lyrics. Every time I see that, it makes me think that the singer is just faking it. Memorizing things and spurting them back out to us ... rather than just SINGING the song.

But what Brooke did was FAR FAR worse than just forgetting a line. She stopped the whole thing down and took the viewer completely out of the moment entirely. I guarantee everyone watching was not thinking about her lovely singing - they were still going, "OMG - did she really just do that?!?!"

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

She was all nerves and while she recovered and to my opinion delievered a solid performance the last half, she is not ready for this.

I like her, but her time has come.

+ Reply to Thread