+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Brooke White - Season 7

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Brooke White - Season 7

I still don't get why people object to her talking to the judges. I don't think they mind, why should we? Classless? That seems kind of harsh. I don't ever find her argumentative - usually she's in agreement with what they're saying. Guess I just look at things differently.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2926800;
    I still don't get why people object to her talking to the judges. I don't think they mind, why should we? Classless? That seems kind of harsh. I don't ever find her argumentative - usually she's in agreement with what they're saying. Guess I just look at things differently.
    I don't like her talking for several reasons. For starters, to me, many of the comments she makes come across as pandering for votes. It seems like she's hoping that people will say "She's so sweet and humble, I'll vote for her!" I don't take it as sincere. Next, there are times when she's pointing out mistakes that she's made, which I consider to be dreadfully stupid. Why point out your shortcomings to people before they vote? (the first and second points I've made may very well cancel each other out vote-wise ... maybe that's why she's consistently in the bottom 3 lately.

But the biggest reason that i don't like her doing it is that it's not her time to have a conversation - it's the judge's time to talk. When she's talking too, she's taking away from THEIR time. The judges are trying to do two things during that time -- give the contestant advice and point things out to hopefully help them develop for future weeks, and let the viewers know what "experts" are hearing so they can consider that input when they vote. Beyond that, it's their time to entertain the audience. Simon and Ryan don't turn on their microphones to exchange witty banter while Brooke is singing. She should step back and allow the judges to have their time too.

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar

It's because she gives off the attitude that she must approve or disapprove every comment from the judges.

She has lost her confidence. She needed an entirely different approach to "Hero," instead of trying to big-trill it like Mariah did.

I like her, and I think she will have interesting records down the road, but I haven't been voting for her recently.
    Passing over to the Dark Side

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2926813;
    The judges are trying to do two things during that time -- give the contestant advice and point things out to hopefully help them develop for future weeks, and let the viewers know what "experts" are hearing so they can consider that input when they vote. Beyond that, it's their time to entertain the audience. Simon and Ryan don't turn on their microphones to exchange witty banter while Brooke is singing. She should step back and allow the judges to have their time too.
    Or to talk about hamburgers, buns and condiments.

I think it can be a time for dialogue, frankly. To listen to ideas and give responses to those ideas. Even Simon has said he doesn't mind when contestants respond to them - he's even said he doesn't mind when they argue with him. Maybe it isn't the best idea to broadcast your faults as a contestant, but a little back and forth communication is not a bad thing as far as I'm concerned.

As for the judges turning on the mikes to exchange banter while a performance is going on, maybe not. But it's not at all uncommon to see them talking among thelmselves while the singer is performing - isn't it their job to actually listen to the performance? To me, that is equally or even more rude.

Just my opinion, of course, and obviously one not shared by a lot of people. I can live with that.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;2926822;

As for the judges turning on the mikes to exchange banter while a performance is going on, maybe not. But it's not at all uncommon to see them talking among thelmselves while the singer is performing - isn't it their job to actually listen to the performance? To me, that is equally or even more rude.
    That all depends on what they are saying among themelves. All of them have said at times that it can be hard to hear the performances in the acoustics of the studio. And we know that they have both video and sound monitors who aid in the process. If the things they are saying during a performance are things like "Is her singing flat, or is that the accompaniment" then it is not rude and is a part of the judging. If they are saying things like "Let's go out to dinner after the show - do you want Itallian or Chinese?" then its rude.

But don't forget - the judges have the opportunity to hear dress rehersal to have an idea of what the performance will sound like. So they're hearing it for the second time. Brooke is hearing their critique for the first time.

None of that means that she still shouldn't be able to respond. JMO.

FORT Regular

BluesSongstress,
    Have you actually seen the judges talking to each other during a performance? I have often seen Simon turned towards Paula and might have assumed he was talking to her, but someone who has been to the show posted that he turns sideways like that because his speaker is behind him and it gets him into position to hear the performance best.

I don't like her talking for several reasons. For starters, to me, many of the comments she makes come across as pandering for votes. It seems like she's hoping that people will say "She's so sweet and humble, I'll vote for her!" I don't take it as sincere. Next, there are times when she's pointing out mistakes that she's made, which I consider to be dreadfully stupid. Why point out your shortcomings to people before they vote? (the first and second points I've made may very well cancel each other out vote-wise ... maybe that's why she's consistently in the bottom 3 lately.

But the biggest reason that i don't like her doing it is that it's not her time to have a conversation - it's the judge's time to talk. When she's talking too, she's taking away from THEIR time. The judges are trying to do two things during that time -- give the contestant advice and point things out to hopefully help them develop for future weeks, and let the viewers know what "experts" are hearing so they can consider that input when they vote. Beyond that, it's their time to entertain the audience. Simon and Ryan don't turn on their microphones to exchange witty banter while Brooke is singing. She should step back and allow the judges to have their time too.

Yeah we might miss some of that meatless hamburger type of great advice. Simon & Ryan might not talk while she is singing, but Simon & Paula do. You can often times hear him in the background or see him doing it when the camera angels are just right.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2926838;
    That all depends on what they are saying among themelves. All of them have said at times that it can be hard to hear the performances in the acoustics of the studio. And we know that they have both video and sound monitors who aid in the process. If the things they are saying during a performance are things like "Is her singing flat, or is that the accompaniment" then it is not rude and is a part of the judging. If they are saying things like "Let's go out to dinner after the show - do you want Itallian or Chinese?" then its rude.

But don't forget - the judges have the opportunity to hear dress rehersal to have an idea of what the performance will sound like. So they're hearing it for the second time. Brooke is hearing their critique for the first time.
    Not to be picking on you, but my understanding is that they don't sit thorough dress rehearsal. The showtime performances are their first time hearing it.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I don't like her talking for several reasons. For starters, to me, many of the comments she makes come across as pandering for votes. It seems like she's hoping that people will say "She's so sweet and humble, I'll vote for her!" I don't take it as sincere.
    You hit the nail right on the head. It's a tactic to manipulate people into voting for her because she's hoping they'll think she's being humble. Well I can see right through it and it isn't humility at all. Not to mention the fact that it makes her look awkward and silly at the same time.

Next, there are times when she's pointing out mistakes that she's made, which I consider to be dreadfully stupid. Why point out your shortcomings to people before they vote? (the first and second points I've made may very well cancel each other out vote-wise ... maybe that's why she's consistently in the bottom 3 lately.
    Dumb, dumb, dumb. I agree. I didn't like it when my favourite contestant, Carly, did it last week either when during the judges' critque of her performance she blurts out that she messed up because she happened to open her eyes and catch Simon staring at her and it jarred her so-to-speak. The first thing I thought was UGH....too much informatioin. NEVER point out your mistakes - it's possible others won't even notice, or care that you've made them. I thought well DUH! That's the whole point of performing in front of others, so that they can watch, listen and enjoy you. It shouldn't have rattled Carly at all, imo. And as for Brooke, she has consistently pointed her mistakes out, week after week, after week. How is this showing that she's growing as a performer in the competition? Unfortunately it isn't. At this stage she should be feeling more confident and at least giving the semblance of being polished. And what does she do? She acknowledges her flubs every week. A big no-no.

But the biggest reason that i don't like her doing it is that it's not her time to have a conversation - it's the judge's time to talk. When she's talking too, she's taking away from THEIR time.
    Exactly. Sing, and then shut up long enough to hear the judges comments. And if you have any comments, or questions regarding their critiques, maybe ask them briefly after the judges are finished. I'm not saying the contestants have to act like puppets, but rather, just show the decency, true humility and apprecation for being there by at least respecting that the judges are giving you their opinions on your performance.

Engaging in verbal combat with the judges during the judge's critiques is not the least bit endearing to me.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread