+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Michael Johns - Season 7

Re: Michael Johns - Season 7

Michael is also supposed to be on the Today Show today. I know I'll miss him on the show tomorrow but on the bright side, there's no more worrying about his song choices and how he'll do.

FORT Fogey

I'd even suggest he has the best voice of all the male singers ever to appear on AI
    come on now, david a? the one in this season?

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

I sense Michael Johns will have success outside of AI. Bucky Covington, no matter what you think of him, finished 8th and he is having moderate success right now, opening for Dierks Bently.

Best Wishes Michael!

FORT Fogey

I think that the big question for Michael in terms of his future success is going to be how much he's willing to sacrifice to have it. He's got the voice, and he's got the charisma, and now, he's had the exposure to go far. AI probably did him somewhat of a favor by sending him home as they did, because now he stands out beyond other ousted contestants from this season. So if he wants it bad enough, I think Michael will go far. However, if he says "Nah, I don't want to do that gig, it'll mean too much time away from my wife and family" or "I don't want to do that style of album, it's not my favorite music" then I don't think we'll hear a great deal from him. He has a decision to make right now on exactly what sort of deal with the devil he wants to make. Part of me think he understands that thanks to his experience in music thus far, and will do what it takes. But part of me thinks that he's stubborn enough that he'll put his foot down, and it'll keep him from really making it big.

Michael's interview on Regis was good. He said he got to go to SNL, as well as the afterparty -- and ended up singing "Dream On" with Ashton Kutcher. I'm sure the interview is available on the internet. As for his future, Mike said there are already a couple of offers (record labels) on the table.

But, ugh -- Archuleta does NOT have the best voice. He sings through his nose and the vocal tone is very foggy and nasally. Of the contestants left, David Cook is the most commercially-viable ... and that's really what record labels care about.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2917386;
    But, ugh -- Archuleta does NOT have the best voice. He sings through his nose and the vocal tone is very foggy and nasally. Of the contestants left, David Cook is the most commercially-viable ... and that's really what record labels care about.
    "Great voice" and "commercially-viable" are two entirely different things. There are many performers studying Opera and stage performance across this country who have far superior voices to anyone who has ever been on American Idol, but they're not all that comercially viable.

Comparing the very best performances of the finalists, I'd probably agree that David A has an outstanding voice. I wouldn't say he's got the best voice ever, because Clay would still be in that category. But he's got a very strong, outstanding voice when he's got the right song and enough time to prepare it. I think he's got some other significant weaknesses, including confidence and stage presence which weaken his commercial viability and the likelihood of his winning AI. But on voice alone, he's got something special.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2917386;
    Michael's interview on Regis was good. He said he got to go to SNL, as well as the afterparty -- and ended up singing "Dream On" with Ashton Kutcher. I'm sure the interview is available on the internet. As for his future, Mike said there are already a couple of offers (record labels) on the table.

Jason Castro has been doing extremely well on ITunes for his performances, & that has to have awakened some to his comercial viability.

I thought Michael did very well on Regis & Kelly. He wasn't on the Today show after all but was on Access Hollywood and supposed to be on Exra.

The best voice is really a matter of opinion and what you like. I don't enjoy David A's voice or song choice so I'd never pick him. I like David C's voice a lot but not always what he sings. Jason sounds good at times and not so much others. Michael's voice is my favorite of all of the idols this season. I love the gravelly aspect to it.

FORT Fogey

I'd even suggest he has the best voice of all the male singers ever to appear on AI

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00;2917211;
    come on now, david a? the one in this season?
    Yep.

There was a great piece on Access Hollywood with Michael and David Foster where David gives him some tips while he's singing "Ain't no Sunshine". You can see it and other bits on their site. He also offers Michael a spot on his special in Vegas next month. I'm going to be sad not seeing Michael tonight on AI but at least there's no worry about his song choice or performance.

+ Reply to Thread