+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Michael Johns - Season 7

FORT Fogey

Re: Michael Johns - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by blue valentine;2911551;
    I have to disagree, at that point he was out of the competition and had just been kicked in the stomach by the producers and the AI machine with the tackiest send off in AI history. That was his moment and i think he truly believes that those type of songs are him so why should he have to pretend otherwise? He probably is pissed off at them trying to tell him who he is when he is a 29 year old man who has struggled in this business for years. At that point it wasn't about helping him it was more like kicking him while he was down, thats all Simon did. He needed encouraging words like Paula had given him not this is why you f'ed up blah blah, that could have been said backstage at a better moment. I'm glad he was defiant and you could sense the anger, frustration, and sadness all rolled into one in his awesome sing out. It was like a big F YOU to all of them.
    You make a good point on the kicking him while he as down aspect. Simon has done a MUCH better job this season of tempering his remarks when the occaison doesn't call for harshness, and he didn't exactly stick to that in that moment.

That said, I disagree that what Simon said was not about helping him. I most certainly think it was exactly that. The truth is - it WAS a bad song choice. If it wasn't, he'd be preparing for next weeks show instead of heading home today. He's a talented singer who got the fewest votes this week - that happens due to poor song choice. He sang a song that few people would think of when thinking of "inspirational" songs, and it was a song that highlighted his ability to mimic instead of his ability to belt out a song in a memorable way. His being 29 and struggling to make it does not make him more knowledgable of pop music than a multi-millionaire whose made most of his money being on top of the music industry that Michael is struggling to be a part of.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2911574;
    You make a good point on the kicking him while he as down aspect. Simon has done a MUCH better job this season of tempering his remarks when the occaison doesn't call for harshness, and he didn't exactly stick to that in that moment.

That said, I disagree that what Simon said was not about helping him. I most certainly think it was exactly that. The truth is - it WAS a bad song choice. If it wasn't, he'd be preparing for next weeks show instead of heading home today. He's a talented singer who got the fewest votes this week - that happens due to poor song choice. He sang a song that few people would think of when thinking of "inspirational" songs, and it was a song that highlighted his ability to mimic instead of his ability to belt out a song in a memorable way. His being 29 and struggling to make it does not make him more knowledgable of pop music than a multi-millionaire whose made most of his money being on top of the music industry that Michael is struggling to be a part of.

Perhaps it was a poor song choice, however, it was still better then Carly's, Brooke's and Syesha's song choices. They wanted to shock the audience and they did....it was very tacky indeed. Still, only half the people left on that stage could have sang Dream On half as well as he did. He had style, charisma and one of the best voices...plus he probably was an interference to who they really want to win...to say their was no politics involved here would be very naive.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by TLynnMartin;2911596;
    Perhaps it was a poor song choice, however, it was still better then Carly's, Brooke's and Syesha's song choices. They wanted to shock the audience and they did....it was very tacky indeed. Still, only half the people left on that stage could have sang Dream On half as well as he did. He had style, charisma and one of the best voices...plus he probably was an interference to who they really want to win...to say their was no politics involved here would be very naive.
    Who said there was no politics involved? He who gets the fewest votes goes home -- OF COURSE there is politics involved!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I think America got it right, this time.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

As the competition progressed Michael grew weaker every week. I was especially unimpressed with his last two performances. It definitely sucked that he had to leave so early in the competition though. I'm so surprised that Christy and Syesha outlasted him. If he does get a record deal he should stay with the soulful sound.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

Sad. So Sad.

Not just that Michael was voted off when he is more talented than singers still on AI (Syesha, Jason, Kristy Lee, and, imo, nasally-David Archuleta), but also the crass way he was let go. I know the script (we didn't boot anyone off last year's IGB, but we are this year) was written for shock value -- & so it would be replayed thousands of times -- but Ryan should have had some b@!!$ and refused to read it. I thought that was extremely low class.

The morning show on Los Angeles' Fox affiliate, Good Day LA, had a great interview with Michael this morning. Some who've been booted off have copped an attitude, but Michael was very gracious and humble. There's a link on the main page to his interview (you have to get through a reporter interviewing Randy, Simon & Paula first).
    MyFox Los Angeles | Fox 11 News | KTTV
    It made me proud that I know Michael as a friend.

I never expected Michael to win the whole thing, but I know he will have a life-long career in music. He just gets to start earlier (in the season) than I thought (& other people too).

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I guess I just never got the appeal of Michael beyond the "he's kind of cute" thing. Of all the performances since his "Bohemian Rhapsody" blockbuster, only ONE has really stood out at all. He never really delivered on the potential we saw during the audition rounds. He never really owned the stage or made me want to see him again. I didn't dislike him; I just didn't care. Given the fact that he was eliminated, I'd guess there were enough voters who felt a similar apathy.

As to whether or not his song was more or less "inspirational" than those of Syesha, Kristy Lee or Carly, that would certainly be a matter of opinion. Loosely speaking, I suppose "Dream On" could be considered inspirational, but I suspect the average viewer of IGB week would be looking for something that pulled at the heartstrings more than Aerosmith. "I Believe" (or whatever that song is called!) would fall into that more traditional "inspirational" category than would "Dream On", as would "Anyway". As far as Carly's choice with "The Show Must Go On" - well, she could have chosen better.

All in all, I'm neither sad nor happy that Michael is gone. He certainly wasn't going to win and it's just a matter of what order the also-rans are going to fall in. Just my opinion.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Amen!!!

You're only as good as your last performance, and he missed the boat. I wish him luck.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2911730;
    You're only as good as your last performance, and he missed the boat. I wish him luck.
    Not sure I necessarily agree with that. If it was true, then, IMO, David Cook should have gone home. I would think that the number of people who vote purely based on that particular night's performance, and nothing else, is the minority.

I always thought Michael Johns was overrated, but -- that having been said -- I still think it was surprising that he didn't go farther. My guess is that his fan base didn't perceive him to be in trouble and therefore didn't feel the need to vote excessively. (Which is what I think happened with Chris Daughtry and Katherine McPhee -- her fans knew she was in trouble and voted like crazy, his fans assumed he'd be safe since he had not (if I'm remembering correctly) been in the bottom two before.)

Quote Originally Posted by MMLEsq;2911771;
    Not sure I necessarily agree with that. If it was true, then, IMO, David Cook should have gone home. I would think that the number of people who vote purely based on that particular night's performance, and nothing else, is the minority.

I always thought Michael Johns was overrated, but -- that having been said -- I still think it was surprising that he didn't go farther. My guess is that his fan base didn't perceive him to be in trouble and therefore didn't feel the need to vote excessively. (Which is what I think happened with Chris Daughtry and Katherine McPhee -- her fans knew she was in trouble and voted like crazy, his fans assumed he'd be safe since he had not (if I'm remembering correctly) been in the bottom two before.)
    Although it was close between the two of them Michael had the worst performance overall.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

+ Reply to Thread