+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Johns - Season 7

Re: Michael Johns - Season 7

At least he knows he needs to step it up. He made that comment last night that it feels like he peaked in Hollywood week and needs to get better. I like it when they realize that there is room for improvement.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

All the contestants know they need to step it up but are the capable of doing so? That's the huge question mark.

Right now I don't see a clear winner. Too early in the game.

I think he also mentioned peaking at Hollywood because - if I remember right - Simon said something along those lines? I think Simon mentioned how he hasn't been choosing the right songs since Hollywood - which I totally agree with.

Hmmmm... he made it to the Top 10. I see him out in 7th place, 6th tops.

He's getting dry and boring, and doesn't seem to know how to up his game.

Plus, I don't like the way he holds his mic and constantly looks up at the ceiling while singing...
    2003-2008.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tickety;2857012;

Plus, I don't like the way he holds his mic and constantly looks up at the ceiling while singing...
    The way he does that is one of the things that screams "lead singer not solo artist" to me. A lead singer needs to captivate the audience and draw them in, but still spread attention to the band members taking up the rest of the space on the stage. The way he holds the mic and stands works very well for that. But a solo artist has to own the stage on his own -- not share the spotlight with the back-up support. I'm kind of thinking Michael would have been better served as a contestant on Rock Star instead of American Idol.

Chris Daughtry was one who clearly would not be a solo artist yet he's done well for himself since AI. I don't think it's a given that everyone on the show needs to be one. I also don't think Michael needs to have a strong upper register and is not the only one (Jason for eg). I really like his voice in the songs he'd done previously and also a few of the ones he's done on the show. Even this last song is much better on the mp3. He's not going to be to everyone's taste just as I'm not the least bit enamored of David A.

I like that Michael seems to be modest and not too confident. He's good looking and hot but also can be a little goofy which is appealing to me.

I also don't think Michael needs to have a strong upper register and is not the only one (Jason for eg).
    Paula's comment about his sounding way, way better at dress rehearsal left me wondering if he actually lacks a strong upper register, or if the issue is that he tenses up when the competition is for real, leaving him unable to achieve power and accuracy on notes that are within his grasp when he's more relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by albean99;2859670;
    Chris Daughtry was one who clearly would not be a solo artist yet he's done well for himself since AI. I don't think it's a given that everyone on the show needs to be one. I also don't think Michael needs to have a strong upper register and is not the only one (Jason for eg). I really like his voice in the songs he'd done previously and also a few of the ones he's done on the show. Even this last song is much better on the mp3. He's not going to be to everyone's taste just as I'm not the least bit enamored of David A.

I like that Michael seems to be modest and not too confident. He's good looking and hot but also can be a little goofy which is appealing to me.
    I absolutely agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD YOU SAID especially about the INCREDIBLY overrated David Archuletta, the hot goofiness and Chris Daughtry
    ANTM PHOTOS:
    Homeless:Aimee, Makeover: Fatima, Lingerie: Anya, Meat: Lauren, Paint: Katarzyana, Music: Whitney, Fuerzabruta: Fatima, Jetsetters: Anya, Commercial: Fatima, Castle: Fatima, 50's Glamour: Anya, Covergirl: Fatima, Worst Winner: Whitney

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2857174;
    The way he does that is one of the things that screams "lead singer not solo artist" to me. A lead singer needs to captivate the audience and draw them in, but still spread attention to the band members taking up the rest of the space on the stage. The way he holds the mic and stands works very well for that. But a solo artist has to own the stage on his own -- not share the spotlight with the back-up support. I'm kind of thinking Michael would have been better served as a contestant on Rock Star instead of American Idol.
    The big difference between those show is more singers in the Top 10 of Idol go on to lucrative careers, and the last couple of winners for Rock Star have gone on to obsurity. The guy with INXS is still touring with them, but they were dropped by their record label after their 1st CD with the guy. Rock Star Supernova has gone nowhere. And, the people who didn't win, haven't heard a peep from anyone.

Mike was smart to do American Idol over Rock Star.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2863201;
    ...more singers in the Top 10 of Idol go on to lucrative careers...
    American Idol is a monster, and going on that tour gives those people a lot of exposure.
    Making it on that tour is already a "win situation".

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2856593;
    At least he knows he needs to step it up. He made that comment last night that it feels like he peaked in Hollywood week and needs to get better. I like it when they realize that there is room for improvement.
    Well said. I'd vote for him if only for his humility.

+ Reply to Thread