+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Johns - Season 7

FORT Fanatic

Re: Michael Johns - Season 7

To me it is obvious they are trying to get votes for Michael down. They obviously want Archuleta or Cook to be above him. So before he even comes on the stage they have decided he won't do well. I thought he sounded great last night. I love the sound of his voice - and for those who think he doesn't have charisma - are we watching the same show. He was one of my favourites last night. IF he could have sang the entire song - he would have blown the roof off the place. They are not being fair to him.

David Archuleta - while good - was boring singing that ballad - but they didn't mention that did they.

I just hate when they make pre-determinations. I hope Michael can keep standing awhile longer - even though - they have already decided their top six in their own minds.

FORT Fogey

I don't agree that the criticisms of Michael are pre-determined. I think he's deserved many of them. I agree with you that a big part of his problem last night was that he couldn't sing the entire song. We even heard that in the video of his preparing the song. But the amount of time they have is part of song selection. If the song can't effectively be widdled down to 1:30, then he should have chosen something else. That's good musical sense. He had a very nice, sentimental, reason for wanting to do the song he did. But good and sentimental don't get you far in a talent and popularity contest.

On the charisma -- I think he's got incredible charisma for a lead singer of a band. But that's a different gig from being a solo artist. I think that may be part of the problem.

Michael is INCREDIBLY talented and I want to see him go far. But the excitement I've had for each of his last few performances has been deflated by thoughts of "is that all you've got?" when he's done. I think the judging on him has been justified.

Michael has lost everything that I use to like about him. His performance last night was boring and quite normal. I know he can sing, but its just not working out for him. I wonder if it the songs he been choosing. i felt so after he shared that the song he played was his friend that died favorite song, at least he had a reason for singing it.
    Put me in a special school, 'Cause I am such a fool.
    'Troublemaker' from the band Weezer

and for those who think he doesn't have charisma - are we watching the same show
    You have serious rightness going here, to the point that I feel bad about being unduly harsh. The part of charisma that comes from looking comfortable on stage, relating to the audience, not coming across as needy for approval, covering mistakes, and not sounding as if he's working way too hard to get the song out -- Michael has that part. That part is vital; you can't have the other part (the grab-you-by-the-heart thing that has a huge component of personal taste) without it. And he comes across as sincere. So he earned his spot this far.

Ironically, that's why he's wallpaper to me. He's competent enough that I can tune him out because he's not going to arrest my attention with a train wreck (yes, Kristy Lee, I mean YOU) or with anything bizarre (hi, Chikezie!), but seeing him as blowing off the roof requires either a better set of speakers on the TV (very possible -- I watch on my laptop) or different tastes in music (chacun a son gout, or, as Jason Castro would say, "Chalk on some goat").

I agree with you Veruka on Michael's talent and charisma. (And seeing you're from Georgia, it's possible, we may have been seeing Mike at the same Film shows or his former weekly gig at CJ's Landing in Buckhead).

Rough song choices for Michael. Not highlighting his range or capabilities. He's far more talented than what showed last night. Most times I saw Mike (& there were many) it was like "Bohemian Rhapsody" every night.

I don't know who's advising him on song choice, but Mike needs to fire that person!

Even on an off night, I would rather listen to the tone of Michael John's voice than 99% of the other contestants.

I happen to think Cook is doing an awesome job, and I love Brook and Jason, but, if I'm honest, Michael's album is the only one I would buy in the real world........his tone is like magic in my ears.

Judging by the reactions of other, and the pimping of the judges, I don't think he has a prayer of winning the competition though.

Quote Originally Posted by hotlanta babe;2853521;

Rough song choices for Michael. Not highlighting his range or capabilities. He's far more talented than what showed last night. Most times I saw Mike (& there were many) it was like "Bohemian Rhapsody" every night.

I don't know who's advising him on song choice, but Mike needs to fire that person!
    ITA. I think he needs someone to sit him down and tell him to forget picking songs that mean something to him or even songs he likes and stick to songs that make his voice sound the best and emphasizing the hunky part never hurts. I've been listening to a mini-lp from his former band, The Rising. It's a live, accoustic set and I love it and his voice. He needs songs like those.

i like the little comment he made after making the top 10 tonight "although i've supposedly peaked in hollywood" somebody has been reading fort. but at least he recognizes it and will probably improve.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I think the guy has a really weak upper register. Maybe he has just been holding back or something, but he has yet to wow me.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I thought his "Bohemian Rhapsody" was good, but he's done nothing special since.

+ Reply to Thread