+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: American Idol, Top 10 Results Show: Did America Get It Right?

FORT Fan
    Lobeck,

excellent recap of a show that is ridiculous..I am so glad I have ReplayTV because i just forward past everything and get to the results.

I have a question..was it me, was Tuesday show so much less dramatic because it was only 1 hour and the Judges had no real time to give detailed opinions? In fact, Clay got no actual words from anybody but Simon. To me, the show needs to have the judges give more then a one sentence review. It is so stupid to have a 1 hour resulys show..why not have a 1 1/2 hour Tuesday show and a 1/2 hour wednesday show? I know it is because of rating, but the show really suffered because of it.

Regards
    Chaim

I think that they got it wrong i mean everyone did real good i dont think that kim or ricky should of been down there because they had their best performances i think julia knew that she wasn't going to be the next american idol so she wasn't that upset i just like seeing what she is going to where each show
    Mariah TLC Lil Kim Christina Jennifer Hudson Guy

Originally posted by Aota Bass
    Clay sang "Someone Else's Star". How exactly has Carmen stayed out of the bottom 3 every week?
    Either she's really good with magic spells/she's really lucky/she's arranged people to call in for her a million times at least/Simon's doing something because she's his wildcard pick....whatever it is, it really has me baffled...
    *Lacey

FORT Fogey
    The bottom three should have been Julia, Trenyce and Kimberly Caldwell. Rickey shouldn't have been anywhere near the bottom three.

The recap is accurate, however Julia did not sing her best after she was voted off-she sang the song almost exactly the same way she sang it during the competition, with the same cheesy little variation on "that's the way it's supposed to be". She has no spontaneity, and very little vocal agility. Her pitch was very poor as well. She confirmed the rightness of the vote-I think she should have been the first one off. She looked terrified as usual and that is an insurmountable disadvantage. I'm sure it's very frightening to be up there, but confidence is, I think, even more important than vocal chops in the music business. There are some amazing performers in the world who are not the greatest singers but they have a charisma and confidence that says "come to me and hear this song". There are some really good singers that you almost can't stand to watch because you can see their insecurity all over them (Mariah Carey for one). It seems to me that American Idol is looking for both attributes-great singing and total confidence. The only one who has that completely is Ruben.

There is the issue of looks too, and I think Ruben is adorable, though not your average idol material. None of the men are what I would call "idols" but that may not matter. The looks thing is all that's keeping Carmen and Kimberly Caldwell in the competition. I find it hard to believe that there were not two more deserving singers in the country than these two, and it really points up the fact that women are judged so much more harshly by their looks than men are or that poor singers are given the pass because they look cute.

FORT Fogey
    Originally posted by Chaim
    Lobeck,

I have a question..was it me, was Tuesday show so much less dramatic because it was only 1 hour and the Judges had no real time to give detailed opinions? In fact, Clay got no actual words from anybody but Simon. To me, the show needs to have the judges give more then a one sentence review. It is so stupid to have a 1 hour resulys show..why not have a 1 1/2 hour Tuesday show and a 1/2 hour wednesday show? I know it is because of rating, but the show really suffered because of it.

Regards
    Chaim
    Actually, I think that now that it's down to nine, the one hour time slot should work perfectly. They should get rid of the garbage filler (like Carmen's birthday) from Tuesday's show and put it on the filler show, I mean the "Results" Show. I liked that it was 7:30-8:30, because I got to watch Survivor without worrying about missing anything, because they don't give the results until the very end.

Also, I don't think Rickey should have been in the bottom three, despite a bad week. While Julia and Kim C. weren't the very worst, I think either one of them deserve to go, because they are vocally a long way from being in the top five. Of course, I think the bottom three should have been Corey, Carmen, and Joshua, but I'm very glad to see Julia gone...

I don't know that I agreed with the bottom 3 , but I do agree that it was Julia's turn to go. Something I don't like with this is that some people are calling up to 400 times after a tuesday show to vote for their favorite. If that's the case, the winner of this competition will be based on who's fans got through the phone lines faster.If you're confident enough that your fave will win, 1 vote from you a week should be enough! My pick for the one who has the overall package to be an American Idol is definitely RUBEN!

Originally posted by lolalove11
    None of the men are what I would call "idols" but that may not matter. The looks thing is all that's keeping Carmen and Kimberly Caldwell in the competition. I find it hard to believe that there were not two more deserving singers in the country than these two, and it really points up the fact that women are judged so much more harshly by their looks than men are or that poor singers are given the pass because they look cute.
    I was actually just thinking about this earlier. Does sex appeal discriminate by gender? I think that is a huge part of how Corey, Carmen, and Kim C have remained successful (granted, I can see how Corey's voice may appeal to some people, and Kim C puts on a good show for the audience).

2 other random notes from Tuesday night's show:
    1) I'm pretty sure I saw Kimberly Kelsey (group 3) in the audience! Speaking of sex appeal...
    2) It's funny to watch the audience during Carmen's song. She asked them all to get on their feet at the beginning, and when the camera pans you can see all these people standing still, clapping along, looking totally bored, staring at the wall, etc... :boredball
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Re: American Idol, Top 10 Results Show: Did America Get It Right?

. Kimberly has cried so much by this point that her mascara is running all over the place, and I cannot decide if she looks more like a raccoon or Tammy Faye Bakker. [/B]
    I thought it was Tammy Faye!!

I was quite surprised that Rickey was in the bottom three. I guess it just comes down to votes. And after last weeks scare with Corey being in the bottom three, his fan base made a concentrated effort to get him votes. I think he should have been in the bottom.

I definitely think it was time for Julia to go. She just does not look comfortable on stage.

I also thought that Paula was not forth coming in her opinion when she was asked if America got it right. She seem to hesitate too long with her answer. I think she thought that America was right about at least one of them. She was being Paula and not wanting to rock the boat. I wish she was honest with her opinion and comments.
    You never know what you need until you don't have it

How does Corey not get in the bottom 3 this week? Amazing stuff. I'll predict he's gone next week.

Unfortunately, Julia's never sounded the same after "Son of a Preacher Man" and her confidence pretty much imploded when Vanessa was axed in a stunner. JD's probably glad to finally be out of the "bottom 3" week-after-week.

I don't worry about people "making 400 calls", especially at this point. You're lucky to get in once for a few in the first 30-45 mins of call-in time in my experience. Who's going to get in 400 calls for Ruben? :rolleyes:

For some others, like Josh this week, there are no busy signals. 400 calls can only help someone like that stay around another week. Hmm, maybe *that's* how Corey and Carmen are lasting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast