+ Reply to Thread

Thread: economics of AI

FORT Regular

economics of AI

AI makes a lot of money for its top rated show.. I wonder if they think it is really important to them that the winner becomes a big star as long as a bunch of their finalists join the rank of semi-celebrity status - sort of stamp of credibility to the show. So what is more important, the show itself or the success of its stars down the road?

Kelly Clarkson will sell a lot of CD's because she is the American Idol and the show American Idol is very popular.

I think the credibility of the show rests in her longevity. If Kelly Clarkson or Justin Guarini or even Tamyra Grey are successful in 5-10 years, then American Idol will have proved to be a credible means to find talent.

Am I making any sense?

After all, Star Search sure has proven to be credible. Look how many successful people appeared on it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

FORT Regular
    I completely agree with you. I'm just saying that if AI makes say $30 to $50 million a season (just a pure guess) and award a $1 milllon recording contract to the winner... I mean... if the numbers are correct, AI has already been to the bank well before their singing stars fullfill their potential as money makers for Simon's label.

Yeah... I completely agree with you.

It's pretty lucrative when you stop and think about it.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Fade to black
    There was an article somewhere on the Net about the contract that the winner of AI has to sign - it virtually enslaves them to 19 Entertainment for a period of time (hence, Kelly has no choice but to make that awful movie). It will be interesting to see how vigorous 19 continues to push past winners - and how the winners progress throughout their young, blossoming careers. That's part of the appeal of American Idol to me, is tracking that. I'll admit, I'm not a big "pop" fan but I'll be buying Kelly C's debut album.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Interesting question- that's why i think it will be so fascinating to watch the future careers of finalists versus the actual idols.

Among Kelly, Justin, and Tamyra- I think Tamyra is actually the best off. Kelly's contract, like you said, ties her so strongly to the record label, she has no artistic freedom at all, and that can be constraining- and yeah, the movie is just a terrible idea. As talented as she is, the fascination with her may be short-lived if they keep spoon-feeding her to the fickle American public while churning out other Idols.

I don't see Justin having a long career- even his songs on the American Idol CD are just not so impressive. I imagine his first CD will sell well, but after that he'll be soon forgotten.

Tamyra is signing on with Babyface, right? I think that record company allows more freedom, as well as ties to many other talented R&B artists. I predict in 5 years Tamyra will be a bigger draw than Kelly, but anything could happen.

This year, there seems to be a consensus that Clay, Ruben, Trenyce, Frenchie, and maybe Kimberley or Rickey deserve recording contracts regardless of their final status in the competition. I really wouldn't be surprised if the runners-up wind up better off in the long run.

I know this is a long post, but to return to the original question I think the post-show celebrity status of even a few celebrities will keep the show's ratings because will be like- remember when Kelly/Tamyra/Christine was on this show? So they'll keep their sponsors, and we'll keep seeing inane product plugs like Herbal Essences suiting all of Kim L's hair needs, Carmen learning to drive with a Ford truck, etc etc...
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

+ Reply to Thread