+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What disco night might look like

I Love Monkey Island! lisalisagreen's Avatar
    That was the funniest thing that I have seen in a long time!

Fade to black
    Grassyass!
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Hey I was thinking about disco theme tonight and what people might sing. I think it might be a tough choice for some becuase there are not many uptempo songs in disco that show a great range or great depth. Therefore, contestants might be judged like Ruben was last week when he sang "Sweet Home Alabama" (which I thought was quite fun).

Which brings me to a question . . . do we judge only on how challenging the song was, how well they sing any song, or how they pull off a great uptempo song that might not be challenging but can get the crowd going?

Thoughts?

Well...here's my take on it...

When a song is challenging, and done well, I can tell, and I think many, if not most, other people can too. There's something to a difficult song that's really well handled that makes you go- WOW!

When a difficult song is done poorly, it doesn't get the same effect at all, so the contestants need to be careful not to choose a song that's too hard for them.

But if they're too careful and keep choosing simple songs, it's unimpressive. Totally unimpressive, and I think that's why Kim was in the bottom 3 last week- she's been making very safe song choices and not taking risks with them. So she hasn't shone like others the competition have and she isn't performing to the best of her abilities.

And just because a song is uptempo doesn't necessarily mean it's easy. Alot of disco songs allow for belting and demand great power and energy, which not all of the contestants have.

I also think it's okay for a performer who has primarily done really technically difficult songs to perform a simple song every now and then if it showcases versitality. I think Clay will do just fine with the disco theme. I really enjoyed his rendition of "I Can't Help Myself" because even though it was pretty simple (most motown songs are) he did it very well and worked his own style into the song. I'm sure he'll do fine with disco as well, but personally I'm looking forward to Trenyce and Kim L even more tonight.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123