+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terminology

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar

Terminology

For the sake of those of us who are singing knowledge impaired, can someone explain some of the terminology that the judges use? for e.g. being pitchy, what runs are, etc.

Thanks

I don't understand "pitchy" at all.
    It's a term they've just started using I've noticed.

"Runs" are the Mariah Carey/Whitney Houston style "yodelling" they do.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fan
    Pitchy means that you aren't exactly hitting a note, but kind of wavering very close to it. Some of the singers hit notes dead on while some come very close, but miss it by about a quarter step.

As for runs. They are when you hit a solid note, then sing the notes around it, and finally end up back at your starting note or generally a third, fifth, or octave higher.

"run" is what I want to do when women start singing all the notes around the first one, a la Whitney or Mariah.

"pitchy" is when I want to throw something at the TV because the performers can't hit a note to save their lives.

yeah, but you know, i didn't think vanessa was pitchy at all last week, whereas two of the judges said she was. i'm usually pretty good at hearing when someone just can't quite hit the note, but honestly, didn't notice that about her performance.

for an example of vocal "runs" see christina aguilera. she calls it vocal gymnastics.

She can call it what she wants, *I* call it "don't expect me to buy your CD"

john! i wish more singers would just sing the damn song instead of trying to add about of runs in the middle and the end. several times i will be pleased with a performance until a performer throws in a bunch of runs for good measure. just sing the stupid note already and quit dancing around it!!!

yeppers... "pitchy" is when the singers aren't exactly on pitch, they are either a bit sharp or flat.... I'm guessing that they normally would not have this problem, but singing with microphones on stage can make it harder to hear yourself, and "runs" are those damn annoying things that everyone on this show seems to LOVE... it's when they go from one note to the next by singing EVERY possible not that exists (and some that probably don't) in between... I think it's why most of the songs sound so overdone
    "It's still cool to be sane. You're just supposed to be sane and medicated ." - Article from the New York Magazine

Ha ha!! Gizmo-"and some that probably don't"-that's so true. Yeah, these days, all the singers are doing it-runs that is, and I want to run when I hear it too. But what can ya do? Charles did a run tonight which sounded stupid, but Kelly is brilliant at it. "Falsetto" is the high voice you hear from guys mostly that is sung without the support from the chest-or throat-for instance if you were to imitate a woman's voice. And "vibrato" is the wave in the voice. When people sound shaky it's because they are lacking air support in their diaphragm and can't support their vibrato at all so they start to sound like sheep because it's all coming from the throat. "pitchy" simply means out of tune in places. People especially hear for pitch on high notes, and sometimes people think singers are pitchy when they are just not getting enough air support. Corey sounds pitchy because he doesn't know how to breathe when he sings, and Carmen sounds pitchy because she's trying to do too much with her voice-and Kim L sounds pitchy because she pushes too hard so it sounds like she's yelling.

Foster Your Inner Kacey BobDobolina's Avatar
    Thanks for all this interesting info. Too bad some of you guys aren't judges. We might get comments more interesting than uber-repetitive "you made it your own", "you did your thing", "I wasn't feeling it", not to mention the complete non-sequitors.

"Simon, what do you think of La Jerome over here?"

"Hmm... Well you know, if there's one thing I've learned in 20 years in the music industry is that it often involves travel, money and sometimes M&M's. And I'm also thinking about getting a haircut. Kelly Clarkson. Kelly Clarkson. In conclusion, people need to get it through their heads that this competition is getting really serious. Ryan, can you get me a cold refreshing coca-cola over here? "

I think my head might explode if they get any more repetitive or commercial Anyway, thanks for the singing crash course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast