+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: LaKisha Jones - Season 6

I agree that Lakisha has a nice voice, but I grow bored with her performances. Each week is the same...powerhouse, loud singing.

On the other hand, her biggest competitor, Melinda, brings something new and different each and every week.

I see the audience growing bored with Lakisha about midway through this competition if she does not learn to diversify her performances/song choice some.

I enjoy FORTplay JayPea Patches's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisabella;2271363;
    ... last night I'd have put Lakisha about 4th because she picked an overdone -- REALLY overdone -- song and pretty much karaoke'd it.
    Perhaps so, but how many people can "karaoke" like her? That was near flawless in execution, and in as much as it sounded Whitney-esque, I don't know what else you could do to that song to not remind you of the original.

Certainly LaKisha can sing with the best - we just need to see her implement more of her own stylings to songs that aren't overdone by the big stars such as Gladys Knight and Whitney.
    "An apple a day may keep the doctor at bay" ... but on top of that, an Appleô consumer won't get any viruses either!!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    People ought to be cautious trying to "run with the big dogs"...like Whitney, Gladys, etc....most of the time, they will come up short, and always compared (usually unfavorably) to them, unless they do something to totally make that song their own.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPea Patches;2271423;
    Perhaps so, but how many people can "karaoke" like her? That was near flawless in execution, and in as much as it sounded Whitney-esque, I don't know what else you could do to that song to not remind you of the original.
    Well, part of being a distinctive artist is either imagining "what else you could do to [a] song to not [sound like] the original," or at least teaming up with good musical arrangers who can.

People familiar with only the original [early] versions of Try A Little Tenderness, Bridge Over Troubled Water, The Way You Do The Things You Do, or Over The Rainbow, very well might not be able to imagine how Otis Redding, Eva Cassidy, UB40, or Clay Aiken "changed up" those songs, but somebody obviously did. And many "classic" songs have been reinterpreted every which way till Sunday. I don't see why Whitney's songs should be an exception. Heck, look how she 'reinvented' Dolly Parton's I Will Always Love You.

No matter how well someone can "karaoke" Whitney, we don't (yet) need another Whitney. Or another Mariah, Xtina, Celine, etc.

One of the things I look for in an Idol contestant is someone who rarely, if ever, sounds like a karaoke of anyone else, no matter how well they do it.

If you're a decent artist, and not just someone with a good voice, what's so terribly hard about putting your own stamp on a song by changing the arrangement -- which, BTW, does not have to involve changing the tune -- or at least the phrasing and vocal styling?

Sorry, but anyone who sounds too much like the original recording loses points in my book.
    Last edited by Grisabella; 03-08-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ß;-D

I still say this competition is going to come down to a LaKisha/Melinda finale. I see those two making the final two. Maybe I'm wrong, but so far, I think those two are un-equaled.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

I think singers on AI need to stay away from Whitney Houston songs. Every year someone sings her song, it's been done too many times, repeatedly, it's just not impressive anymore. Fans get tired of these songs, the contestants falls short, they get slammed for not singing well, they're compared to the artist.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;2272954;
    I think singers on AI need to stay away from Whitney Houston songs. Every year someone sings her song, it's been done too many times, repeatedly, it's just not impressive anymore. Fans get tired of these songs, the contestants falls short, they get slammed for not singing well, they're compared to the artist.
    That seems to be the case for everyone but LaKisha. I don't get why they didn't get on her about this, they have for everyone else. But, instead they praise her to the moon.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Top 12 party pics...

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by ldcook77;2271373;
    I agree that Lakisha has a nice voice, but I grow bored with her performances. Each week is the same...powerhouse, loud singing.

On the other hand, her biggest competitor, Melinda, brings something new and different each and every week.

I see the audience growing bored with Lakisha about midway through this competition if she does not learn to diversify her performances/song choice some.
    I'm sure we'll get plenty of diversity with the theme weeks.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2263784;
    Time to venture into deep water and suggest that maybe Lakisha is a bit overrated. She's pretty good, and from a pure "belting" perspective she has the "biggest" voice, but both Melinda and Stephanie have more skill.
    Don't often disagree with you Krom, but I've got to now. Melinda may have more vocal skill than LaKisha, but no way Stephanie does. I haven't heard anywhere near the vocal control or nuance from Stephanie that I have from either Melinda or LaKisha. I thought she might even have been eliminated this week after what I felt were a couple of uneven performances. LaKisha may have sung a "tired" old Whitney song, but she blew the doors off of it in comparison to Stephanie.

Nothing against Stephanie at all - just don't think she measures up to the other two ladies.

+ Reply to Thread