+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: LaKisha Jones - Season 6

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker;2252078;
    Jennifer has never released an album she just signed a recording contract after her Dreamgirls success. But, on the movie front, I agree with what you are saying. The problem with her & a movie caree is that there just aren't that many roles created for Black women. Even the gorgeous ones like Halle Berry or Vanessa Williams are seldom seen on the silver screen. Jennifer had better look around quick & get that album out.

Im a black female and I have to say I disagree with this. I know alot of people say this but movies with mostly caucasion casts arent the only movies around. There are lots of roles for black women. They are just roles in movies with mostly black casts. Just because she may not make alot of movies that arent "black movies" doesnt mean she wont have a movie career. There are also alot more beautiful black actresses than Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams. There is Jada Pinkett Smith, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long, Gabrielle Union, (who is probably the black actress that gets more roles than any other) Stacey Dash, Megan Good and the list goes on. Some of these movies that they are in may not be mainstream but they do have an audience. And if Jennifer never gets another movie role and still wins this oscar, she can always say she's an oscar award winning actress. Im not worried about if she will get movie roles or not cause whatever is meant to be will be and no one can stop her from fufilling her destiny.
    Jessica

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2252023;
    In all honesty, of the past winners, only Kelly and (arguably Carrie) had any sex appeal. Ruben (and Clay) didn't, neither did Fantasia and Taylor. What they had was charisma and that, combined with talent, was why they won.
    I would just add that and arguably Kelly doesn't have any sex appeal. I personally dont think any of the past winners were bad looking but I think Carrie is probably the only winner so far that is traditionally pretty. I dont know if she has any sex appeal but she is an attractive girl. I dont think if Kelly even had a sorta good voice she would be where she is now. She is not at the top for her looks. It is clearly her voice. There is a big difference look wise between Kelly and many of the other women at the top of the charts. Beyonce, Ciara, Jennifer Lopez, Mariah, Christina A., and even Norah Jones are all more classically good looking and have more sex appeal then she does. Now this isnt to say Kelly is an unattractive girl. This is just to say that you dont have to look like a traditional pop star to be one if you have that much talent backing you. Lakisha has alot of talent. She's not my personal favorite and I still think Jennifer Hudson's rendition blows hers out of the water but for this competition she is one of the best and I have no reason to believe that she can sell albums even if she isnt a sex pot.
    Jessica

Agree with you Caramel about Kelly and the other women singers. Like Jennifer Hudson's version of the song better too, I think she has a slightly better voice than Lakisha.

FORT Newbie
    she is such a wonderful singer, not sure whether she can win or not.

Love Lakisha Jones, yes she has what it takes to be the AI, just look at Taylor Hicks that should answer whether she can be an AI..

I thought Lakisha did a great job this week.
    I haven't heard Jennifer Hudson's version because I haven't seen the film, but Lakisha was singing live on the show and for all we know Hudson could have had multiple attempts to sing in the movie, plus her version could have been tinkered with to make it sound even better.
    Not to take anything away from J Hudson either though, I just don't know that you can compare the two performances when they aren't both live.
    Unless of course the song as it appears in the movie is exactly as she sang it.
    I don't know..I'm rambling
    One thing I do know, I personally won't ever think either version is superior to Jennifer Holliday.

I think Lakisha's performance this week was overrated. It was NOTHING compared to Jennifer Hudson's. Probably Jennifer sang it multiple times, but she can sing that song very well no matter how many times she sings it.

Team Cassandra
    Lakisha...has such a breathtaking voice...hopefully she makes it to the top 2.
    She was singing that song...way better then Jenifer Hudson. But I love both versions now.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by caramelbeauty81;2253646;
    Im a black female and I have to say I disagree with this. I know alot of people say this but movies with mostly caucasion casts arent the only movies around. There are lots of roles for black women. They are just roles in movies with mostly black casts. Just because she may not make alot of movies that arent "black movies" doesnt mean she wont have a movie career. There are also alot more beautiful black actresses than Halle Berry and Vanessa Williams. There is Jada Pinkett Smith, Sanaa Lathan, Nia Long, Gabrielle Union, (who is probably the black actress that gets more roles than any other) Stacey Dash, Megan Good and the list goes on. Some of these movies that they are in may not be mainstream but they do have an audience. And if Jennifer never gets another movie role and still wins this oscar, she can always say she's an oscar award winning actress. Im not worried about if she will get movie roles or not cause whatever is meant to be will be and no one can stop her from fufilling her destiny.
    A voice of reason. Thank you for this post.

I LOVE Lakisha!!! She can indeed sing!!!
    Get Fantasia's self titled CD, in stores now!!!

+ Reply to Thread