+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: LaKisha Jones - Season 6

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed;2251809;
    There is no question the girl can sing but I wonder if she has any marketability. Really. Something must be said about sex appeal.
    In all honesty, of the past winners, only Kelly and (arguably Carrie) had any sex appeal. Ruben (and Clay) didn't, neither did Fantasia and Taylor. What they had was charisma and that, combined with talent, was why they won.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2252023;
    In all honesty, of the past winners, only Kelly and (arguably Carrie) had any sex appeal. Ruben (and Clay) didn't, neither did Fantasia and Taylor. What they had was charisma and that, combined with talent, was why they won.
    It is also a fact that winner or not, the ones who are currently doing really good on the charts are the ones who have the sex appeal factor going for them: Kelly, Carrie and Chris. While Jennifer Hudson arguably is doing good at the moment, she isn't doing good selling albums of her music and it takes a tremendous stretch of the imagination to see her being in any kind of movie that doesn't involve lots of singing. The rest... Fantasia who?
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2252062;
    It is also a fact that winner or not, the ones who are currently doing really good on the charts are the ones who have the sex appeal factor going for them: Kelly, Carrie and Chris. While Jennifer Hudson arguably is doing good at the moment, she isn't doing good selling albums of her music and it takes a tremendous stretch of the imagination to see her being in any kind of movie that doesn't involve lots of singing. The rest... Fantasia who?
    Jennifer has never released an album she just signed a recording contract after her Dreamgirls success. But, on the movie front, I agree with what you are saying. The problem with her & a movie caree is that there just aren't that many roles created for Black women. Even the gorgeous ones like Halle Berry or Vanessa Williams are seldom seen on the silver screen. Jennifer had better look around quick & get that album out.

Quote Originally Posted by RubyRed;2251809;
    Maybe she will surprise us and we will see another side, right now she and several of the other belters are way too hard. (And I am someone who doesn't mind a hard voice, but I need a little softness in there too.)
    I really hope so! I like softness too, it's not just about how loud you can belt it out.

I am not an AI fan, but I think this woman is an incredible singer!! Even though I won't watch the show, I will be paying attention to how she is doing

FORT Regular
    Great performance last night, the best of the last two nights, by far.

IDK why she is getting pigeon-holed after only one week. Give her a chance to show the other side. Fact is, the first finals week creates an important impression. The males with their ballads left a blah impression and the females stole the show. It will be easier for the females to show the breadth of their repertoire than for the males to overcome their poor initial showing.

Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose;2252023;

Clay obviously did have some sex appeal or he wouldn't have had that huge female fan base. (I never got that myself ) I don't think you need sex appeal to win AI or to go far, because AI is a TV show first, but you do need that to compete in today's market.

Maybe the lack of sex appeal in Ruben and Taylor is why they they are not doing as well post Idol. With Fantasia it's more hard to say.

I think Lakisha has a great voice, but I worry that she may peak too soon. Her voice will definitely get her the votes, but I don'tknow if they will sustain her to the finals. Especially since she is going to be expected to get better every week, that is going to be a tall order to fill

Lakisha is a hometown girl. She is from Flint, and sings quite regularly in her church. There were interviews on the local network last night with her mom, and grandmother. It will be interesting to see how far she can go. I don't know about sex appeal, but the girl definitely has talent. I would venture to guess, based on what her family is saying, she would be more at home singing gospel. There is certainly room for her in that genre.

Go Michigan

I was born in Flint and I live about 15 min away from Flint. LaKisha has been all over the local news, it's so cool to have an Idol be from the same area as you! i feel so special! lol

+ Reply to Thread