+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 29 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: LaKisha Jones - Season 6

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2284052;
    Next time they'll be told to go out and vote for the same person to become president and then where will we be.... Oh, wait.
    Good one MsFroggy.

Quote Originally Posted by pillbeam;2280155;
    I think what makes Lakisha special, unlike past AI "divas" like J. Hudson, is that she can control her voice and add her distinctive nuance to her interpretation. Lakisha knows how to pace a song and use different tones and volume to convey emotion. That is the mark of a fine singer.
    Lakisha is stunningly talented, no doubt about it. She is the only 1 in this competition whose performance I can actually relax and enjoy as a performance rather than as a contestant. The others are all striving to be what Lakisha already is.

The unfortunate thing here is that Lakisha's weight will be an issue. Overweight people do not make good Idols. Obesity doesn't sell in a marketing world where audiences depend so much on video to see what's being marketed. Also, Lakisha's personality seems less "bubbly" than a few of the others, which I think will eventually hurt her # of votes.

Quote Originally Posted by nemo78;2284146;
    I agree with you. It's great to have fans but that is just ridiculous.
    Well, they have their person they want to win so that's what they do. I wouldn't do it myself but some communities, social. religious group functions do.

Quote Originally Posted by mistyshadowz;2284980;
    LOL your post sums it all up! I vote for her 300 times each week..i dont know her personally BUT she is one of the best singers in the competition and deserves each and everyone of my vote! Go KIKI
    I hear ya, I voted for her nonstop also........

Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;2282726;
    LaKisha rocks Seger household
    FLINT
    THE FLINT JOURNAL MLIVE ONLY
    Thursday, March 15, 2007
    By Doug Pullen
    JOURNAL STAFF WRITER
    No one, not even classic rocker Bob Seger, seems to be immune from the LaKisha Effect.

"I hear she's the best one," Seger said Wednesday. "I asked my daughter about it the other day. We were on the plane together, and they had all the (contestants') faces in the paper and she said, 'That's the one. She's amazing. That's the one you want to see.'"

The 61-year-old rock legend has been a bit too busy to watch the progress of Flint's star-in-the-making. ...

But you can bet Nita and Sam will let him know how their favorite "Idol" does.

"They watch it religiously," Seger said. "I guess it's the whole underdog thing. They cheer for the underdog, especially the girl from Flint."

MLive.com: Everything Michigan
    Yeah, what underdog??

Unfortunately, this seems to happen all too often with Idol. A lot of people seem to base their impressions of the contestants on hearsay, from their kids or from the media (e.g., the little snippets ET! chooses to show of the contestants or the judges' comments). Lots of times these impressions have little connection to reality.

Lakisha is about as much an "underdog" as Fantasia and Carrie were in their seasons.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ß;-D

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2283106;
    That's quite ridiculous, to have an entire congregation sit there and use only one brain to speed dial for Lakisha.
    This is hardly unusual for Idol contestants. Every season there are a few contestants who have a whole church, school, military bases, or even whole states or ethnic communities voting en masse for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy;2284052;
    I think it's ridiculous, not unusual, that so many people would sit in a church dialing in to a stupid TV show like automatons, on the say so of a priest/pastor. Next time they'll be told to go out and vote for the same person to become president and then where will we be. ...... Oh, wait.
    Dogs have owners. Cats have staff. ß;-D

Quote Originally Posted by luvlady345;2286913;
    I hear ya, I voted for her nonstop also........
    Now that's support! Keep it up, luvlady345!
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

FORT Fan
    Will Lakisha find success after 'Idol'?
    By Rashod D. Ollison
    Sun Pop Music Critic
    Originally published March 20, 2007

Poised and elegant in a satiny, pearl-colored gown, it looked as though Lakisha Jones was ready to receive her diva crown. And on last week's American Idol -- whose special guest was pop's ultimate diva, Diana Ross -- the Fort Meade resident's performance matched her regal presence. Jones turned out a soulful rendition of "God Bless the Child," the Billie Holiday classic that Ross crooned in the 1972 film Lady Sings the Blues.

So far, Jones, 27, has nailed every Idol performance, imposing her gospel-seared style onto sweeping ballads made popular by Whitney Houston (1992's "I Have Nothing") and Jennifer Holliday (1982's "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"). Her renditions, peppered with just the right amount of melisma and black-girl sass, have garnered gushing praise from the judges, including the ever-acidic Simon Cowell.

"The audience and judges love songs that evoke some type of emotion," says Billy Johnson Jr., music director at Yahoo! Music. "It could be a sad ballad, an uplifting anthem or just something that feels good." Given Idol's predictable musical template -- grand pop songs, usually power ballads, with deliberate, surging arrangements -- it's no wonder that Jones' dramatic but controlled belting has made her a favorite on the show this season.

But what about the real world? Jones the diva has a fabulous voice and presence -- and a look that has left similar artists on the sidelines. But Idol may give her the exposure to develop a fan base that artists of an earlier generation couldn't attain.

Let's face it: Pop music over the years has generally overlooked dark-skinned, big-boned women whose fiery vocals defy easy categorization. Here's who you've missed -- or nearly missed: For 20 years, versatile soul singer Randy Crawford recorded 12 strong albums for Warner Bros. and couldn't buy a hit in the United States. It wasn't until Patti LaBelle dressed up as a bizarre, intergalactic bird -- silver lame and feathers galore -- that pop audiences paid attention and sent 1975's "Lady Marmalade" to the top of the charts. But at the time, the Philly legend had been recording for nearly 15 years. Kelly Price, a contemporary soul singer who emerged in the late '90s, lost weight and sprinkled her pop approach with edgier elements -- and still didn't find an audience. She has since returned to gospel, a genre that traditionally embraces singers who look and sound like Jones.

"I don't think that has changed much," says Jon Caramanica, music editor at Vibe magazine. "Pop is very fickle anyway, and certain singers face additional challenges. As far as the prejudices and obstacles for a singer like Lakisha, they may still be there."

Perhaps more so these days, pop audiences seem to gravitate more toward "soulful" artists whose features hew more closely to a WASP ideal and whose figures are slimmer than Jones': Alicia Keys and British soul revivalists Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse come to mind.

"There's much more of a visual element these days," Caramanica says. "But ultimately, Lakisha's biggest challenge would be to make the record she wants versus making what producers would want her to make, telling her, 'In order to get on BET, you need to do this type of record.' What she's done so far on American Idol is take songs and make them her own, and that's not easy to do."

But whether Jones pursues a recording career as the winner of American Idol, there is certainly room on the pop-urban front for her kind of talent. It's a matter of connecting the right song with her approach, something that's true for any artist.

"I would love to see Lakisha be a part of the wave of singers to bring more soul back to contemporary R&B," says Johnson at Yahoo. "I love hip-hop, but because of the rhythm of the track, there is not much focus today on singers with rich, guttural voices."

The music that would best suit Jones -- mature, thoughtfully written songs with down-to-earth arrangements that don't get in the way of her vocals -- probably wouldn't appeal to the youthful demographic of American Idol. Taylor Hicks, the affable, gray-haired winner from last season, has had a difficult time reaching a million sales of his self-titled debut, an unabashed throwback to '70s-style blue-eyed soul.

But the exposure Jones has already received on American Idol has automatically given her a sizable fan base on which she should be able to build a respectable career, regardless of the musical direction she chooses.

"Her take on Billie Holiday's 'God Bless the Child' was amazing, certainly not the kind of song you would expect an American Idol to sing," says Tom Ingrassia, a pop music historian and owner and operator of the Massachusetts-based Ingrassia Artist Management. "For someone with no professional training, she certainly knows her stuff."

Will Lakisha find success after 'Idol'? - baltimoresun.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug123;2287784;
    Will Lakisha find success after 'Idol'?
    By Rashod D. Ollison
    Sun Pop Music Critic
    Originally published March 20, 2007

Poised and elegant in a satiny, pearl-colored gown, it looked as though Lakisha Jones was ready to receive her diva crown. And on last week's American Idol -- whose special guest was pop's ultimate diva, Diana Ross -- the Fort Meade resident's performance matched her regal presence. Jones turned out a soulful rendition of "God Bless the Child," the Billie Holiday classic that Ross crooned in the 1972 film Lady Sings the Blues.

So far, Jones, 27, has nailed every Idol performance, imposing her gospel-seared style onto sweeping ballads made popular by Whitney Houston (1992's "I Have Nothing") and Jennifer Holliday (1982's "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"). Her renditions, peppered with just the right amount of melisma and black-girl sass, have garnered gushing praise from the judges, including the ever-acidic Simon Cowell.

"The audience and judges love songs that evoke some type of emotion," says Billy Johnson Jr., music director at Yahoo! Music. "It could be a sad ballad, an uplifting anthem or just something that feels good." Given Idol's predictable musical template -- grand pop songs, usually power ballads, with deliberate, surging arrangements -- it's no wonder that Jones' dramatic but controlled belting has made her a favorite on the show this season.

But what about the real world? Jones the diva has a fabulous voice and presence -- and a look that has left similar artists on the sidelines. But Idol may give her the exposure to develop a fan base that artists of an earlier generation couldn't attain.

Let's face it: Pop music over the years has generally overlooked dark-skinned, big-boned women whose fiery vocals defy easy categorization. Here's who you've missed -- or nearly missed: For 20 years, versatile soul singer Randy Crawford recorded 12 strong albums for Warner Bros. and couldn't buy a hit in the United States. It wasn't until Patti LaBelle dressed up as a bizarre, intergalactic bird -- silver lame and feathers galore -- that pop audiences paid attention and sent 1975's "Lady Marmalade" to the top of the charts. But at the time, the Philly legend had been recording for nearly 15 years. Kelly Price, a contemporary soul singer who emerged in the late '90s, lost weight and sprinkled her pop approach with edgier elements -- and still didn't find an audience. She has since returned to gospel, a genre that traditionally embraces singers who look and sound like Jones.

"I don't think that has changed much," says Jon Caramanica, music editor at Vibe magazine. "Pop is very fickle anyway, and certain singers face additional challenges. As far as the prejudices and obstacles for a singer like Lakisha, they may still be there."

Perhaps more so these days, pop audiences seem to gravitate more toward "soulful" artists whose features hew more closely to a WASP ideal and whose figures are slimmer than Jones': Alicia Keys and British soul revivalists Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse come to mind.

"There's much more of a visual element these days," Caramanica says. "But ultimately, Lakisha's biggest challenge would be to make the record she wants versus making what producers would want her to make, telling her, 'In order to get on BET, you need to do this type of record.' What she's done so far on American Idol is take songs and make them her own, and that's not easy to do."

But whether Jones pursues a recording career as the winner of American Idol, there is certainly room on the pop-urban front for her kind of talent. It's a matter of connecting the right song with her approach, something that's true for any artist.

"I would love to see Lakisha be a part of the wave of singers to bring more soul back to contemporary R&B," says Johnson at Yahoo. "I love hip-hop, but because of the rhythm of the track, there is not much focus today on singers with rich, guttural voices."

The music that would best suit Jones -- mature, thoughtfully written songs with down-to-earth arrangements that don't get in the way of her vocals -- probably wouldn't appeal to the youthful demographic of American Idol. Taylor Hicks, the affable, gray-haired winner from last season, has had a difficult time reaching a million sales of his self-titled debut, an unabashed throwback to '70s-style blue-eyed soul.

But the exposure Jones has already received on American Idol has automatically given her a sizable fan base on which she should be able to build a respectable career, regardless of the musical direction she chooses.

"Her take on Billie Holiday's 'God Bless the Child' was amazing, certainly not the kind of song you would expect an American Idol to sing," says Tom Ingrassia, a pop music historian and owner and operator of the Massachusetts-based Ingrassia Artist Management. "For someone with no professional training, she certainly knows her stuff."

Will Lakisha find success after 'Idol'? - baltimoresun.com
    Great article

FORT Fan
    I don't know if anybody has noticed it, but did you notice lately when lakisha performs, the way she sings changes as well? When she sang "I have nothing", her tone was so reminiscent to Whitney Houston, and when she sang "God Bless the Child" it seemed like a totally different voice. No doubt Lakisha is a good singer, but when are we going to hear Lakisha's real voice, not Lakisha singing like "XYZ Famous Singer"?

+ Reply to Thread