+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

Re: Jordin Sparks - Season 6

I like Jordin She was my pick to win from the very start (though Season 6 had very few choices, really). That said, her voice was definitely in bad shape when she performed on So You Think You Can Dance last week (or was it the week before?). Get well Jordin.
    2003-2008.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Good for Jordin!!!

FOXNews.com - Pop Tarts: VMA Host Makes Fun of Virgins, Palin's Daughter's Pregnancy - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

VMA Host Makes Fun of Virgins, Palin's Daughter's Pregnancy
    Monday, September 08, 2008

By Hollie McKay

LOS ANGELES — Sunday night's MTV Video Music Award host Russell Brand took several digs at young stars wearing "purity rings" to pledge their virginity until marriage — and "American Idol" winner Jordin Sparks wasn't having any of it.

Brand's running theme for the evening centered around the Jonas Brothers and their rings — until Sparks stepped on stage to have her say about his constant remarks.

"Not everyone wants to be a slut," Sparks spat back, the auditorium filling with applause. Sparks, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez are also among the young stars who have vowed to remain chaste.

Sparks told Pop Tarts later at the In Touch magazine after-party that she was more than happy to put Brand — known as Britain's ultimate playboy — in his place.

"Somebody had to do it," she said.

The "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" funnyman also encouraged Americans to vote for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama in the upcoming election, referred to George W. Bush as a "retarded cowboy fella" and took a shot at Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin and her pregnant daughter.

"The safe sex message is to use a condom or become a Republican," Brand said.

For the record, Rus isn't an American citizen and can't vote anyway...

"Not everyone wants to be a slut," Sparks spat back, the auditorium filling with applause. Sparks, Miley Cyrus and Selena Gomez are also among the young stars who have vowed to remain chaste.
    So, people who don't wear these rings, or who have sex before marriage are sluts? I respect her cause but the way she said it was very tasteless. She could have chosen her words much better than this, as she admitted herself later...

Jordin Sparks Explains Her VMAs 'Slut' Comment - MTV Video Music Awards 2008, Jordin Sparks, Russell Brand : People.com

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j_mado;3194992;
    So, people who don't wear these rings, or who have sex before marriage are sluts? I respect her cause but the way she said it was very tasteless. She could have chosen her words much better than this, as she admitted herself later...

Jordin Sparks Explains Her VMAs 'Slut' Comment - MTV Video Music Awards 2008, Jordin Sparks, Russell Brand : People.com
    I don't know about you, but I've lost count of the number of times something came out of my mouth wrong. It's a good thing I'm not on TV. IMO, Jordin was upset about Brand's constant belittling of those who wear promise rings, and came out fighting against HIM. I believe he is the slut she was referring to. And I think most people understood where she was coming from.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3195509;
    I don't know about you, but I've lost count of the number of times something came out of my mouth wrong. It's a good thing I'm not on TV. IMO, Jordin was upset about Brand's constant belittling of those who wear promise rings, and came out fighting against HIM. I believe he is the slut she was referring to. And I think most people understood where she was coming from.
    I agree. I didn't watch the awards show, but seeing what I've heard and seen in the media it doesn't look like I missed anything good. I'm glad Jordin had the guts to say something like that, and I think she was trying to make a point to whoever that guy was who was hosting. It was a heat of the moment, and she probably didn't have time to take a platform and say everything she probably wanted to the way she wanted to. She made her point.

FORT Fogey

I saw an interview with her last night, and she said that her decision to speak up was a spur of the moment, as she was standing there, decision. So that gives some insight as to why it wasn't a carefully worded, eloquent response. Given her age and position in the industry, I give her a great deal of credit for having the cajones to speak up like she did. It kind of demonstrates that the whole concept behind promise rings works. The idea is supposed to be to lift up a teen's confidence to the point of feeling comfortable saying "I'm not going to do something just because everyone else is doing it". She proved to her parents that they've made quite a positive impact on her.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict;3195509;
    Yeah, I understand where she's coming from, and as I wrote above, I respect her cause. Wording could have been better, that's all I'm saying.

And the fact that she felt a need to better explain what she had meant means that she received some negative reaction... She's a smart and strong girl; I'm sure she'll learn from this and move on.

FORT Fogey

Jordin just seems to pop up all over the place. I saw her at the NBA all-star game, she was nominated for a grammy with Chris Brown, and she was at Obama's inauguration! She is turning up everywhere!

FORT Fogey

I was NEVER a Joran fan as a performer, and I never will be. Just not my taste. However, I adore her as a young woman; she makes a great role model. If for that reason alone, I hope she continues to be successful.

A review of Battlefield.
    Tennessean - Listen Up: Sparks conquers on refined 'Battlefield'
    Perhaps because they spend so much time on the show trying to impress judges, singers from American Idol often overdo things. So the songs on 19-year-old Jordin Sparks' second album, Battlefield (* * * out of four), lean toward hyperbole: Love is a battlefield, a boyfriend dancing with another girl necessitates an S.O.S. signal, a date who's late requires a 911 call.

With the thumping rhythms and massive, swooping melodies of Sparks' cleverly clubby R&B/pop, it may seem musical subtlety is lacking. But even though the backing vocals on her T-Pain collaboration are Auto-Tuned beyond the point of humanity, most songs bear up well, from Battlefield and its march-step groove to Let It Rain with its faux pipe organ.
    PLAYLIST: This week's pick by Anchor & Braille

Battlefield suggests Sparks, who won Idol's sixth season, could follow the successful pattern of first-season winner Kelly Clarkson, just with an R&B bent and fewer obvious issues with men. The album's final four songs indicate she's developing as a songwriter as well. The last two in particular —Faith and The Cure— offer a cool-down period after all the beat-heavy grooves. They also sound a little like American Idol coronation songs — just much better. Maybe Idol should consider turning to Sparks for the crowning moment of Season 9. — Brian Mansfield

+ Reply to Thread